How do I start a DDR program at my unit?

Started by Storm Chaser, March 06, 2013, 05:51:32 PM

Storm Chaser

My unit is a composite squadron with over 30 cadets located in an Air Force installation. We currently don't have a Drug Demand Reduction (DDR) program in place. I've read CAPR 52-22, but still have questions about how to get started, especially when it comes to funding. How do I get the DDR program going and get appropriate funding for it? Thanks for any help or advice.

EMT-83

Did anyone reach out to the DDR officer at the next highest echelon?

Eclipse

You'll have to interface with the wing DDRA, so you might as well start there.

Bear in mind that asking those questions may result in your becoming the wing DDRA

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 06, 2013, 06:04:21 PM
Did anyone reach out to the DDR officer at the next highest echelon?

We don't believe have one in our Group. In fact, the Group Cadet Programs Officer position has been vacant for quite some time.

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2013, 06:23:33 PM
You'll have to interface with the wing DDRA, so you might as well start there.

Bear in mind that asking those questions may result in your becoming the wing DDRA

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind.

spaatzmom

According to the Flwg organizational chart, as of 1/13 the Drug Demand Reduction Administrator is

Capt Heather McSparron
heathermcsparron@hotmail.com

Offutteer

I wouldn't count on DDR funding with Sequestration in effect.  I don't think anyone knows what their actual budgets are within the federal government, other than that the politicians will be paid.

To start a DDR program, you can go through the resources available on the DDR web site, www.capmembers.com/ddr. The DDR Excellence book (available in the education section) offers some hands-on activities that can be done during the meeting.  You could also get in touch with the base DDR program and see what they offer.

The DDR Excellence book was sent to the units within 30 miles of a base.  It might be lying around somewhere in your squadron.