Personnel Officer Exam for Senior Rating

Started by Shotgun, March 01, 2013, 06:25:55 PM

Shotgun

According CAPP 200, Personnel Officers must pass the personnel officer senior level exam as a requirement for their senior rating.

As a Personnel Officer I should know where that exam is! However, after an extensive search I can't seem to locate an online or written version.

Is this a case where the Personnel Officer Specialty Track Study guide (published in 1997) just hasn't kept up with the times and the exam is no longer available?

Or am I just looking in the wrong places.

Any help from the CAP Collective would be much appreciated!

Duke Dillio

The old one had it in the back of the specialty track pamphlet as an attachment.  The answers were there as well...

Edit:  Just checked and it is Attachment 5 in the 1997 version of CAPP 200

SARDOC

The Test and the Answer key are the attachment at the very end of CAPP 200.   The Unit Testing Officer can proctor you through the written test record your score on the record and notify your squadron commander that you have successfully passed meeting the test requirement for the Senior rating.

Shotgun

Wow!

How could I miss that! I even remember seeing the test when I read through the pamphlet for my tech rating.

Shame on me for assuming it it was online like Finance and IT.

Thanks for the quick response!

SarDragon

Be advised, I just took this exam. At least 75% of the answers in the key are incorrect, since the regs and procedures have changed in the ensuing 15 years. This is not a knock it out in 15 minutes test.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

As with a few of these other older tests, you need to read the regulations that were current when the test was created. These are tests that you must get things "wrong" to get them "right".

Things are being re-worked, but there still are areas that need major help..

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: a2capt on March 01, 2013, 08:01:02 PM
As with a few of these other older tests, you need to read the regulations that were current when the test was created. These are tests that you must get things "wrong" to get them "right".
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Since the CC can now change regs that's the kind of stuff that needs to be deep sixed ASAP. Learning outdated, incorrect material has no benefit to anyone.

Eclipse

Quote from: phirons on March 01, 2013, 08:51:16 PMSince the CC can now change regs that's the kind of stuff that needs to be deep sixed ASAP. Learning outdated, incorrect material has no benefit to anyone.

Another test that should be waived pending a replacement.

Since completion of the track the subjective call of the unit CC, perhaps just explaining what is wrong would be enough.  That shows a thorough knowledge without wasting time.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on March 01, 2013, 08:01:02 PM

Things are being re-worked, but there still are areas that need major help..

Sixteen year olde regs are generally not available. On my test, I answered with the current correct answer, and provided a reference to the current reg. The idea here is learn procedures, not how well you can dig outdated material out of olde regs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: Man Of Action on March 01, 2013, 06:46:49 PM
How could I miss that! I even remember seeing the test when I read through the pamphlet for my tech rating.

Well I can tell you have only read CAPP 200 once and you think you are ready for a Senior rating?

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on March 02, 2013, 05:33:32 AMSixteen year olde regs are generally not available. On my test, I answered with the current correct answer, and provided a reference to the current reg. The idea here is learn procedures, not how well you can dig outdated material out of olde regs.
When it's an online only, multiple choice test, you don't have a box to argue your point. You need to pick the answer -IT- wants. As for the regulations not being generally available, of course. But if you've got a mentor in the specialty track, they already know the drill. The comm people were all over that master rating test for this very reason, event though the 100-1 changed at least 4 times since that thing was last updated. I don't know what they have now. I got my master rating for Level V done in a specialty track that had currently functioning test methods. Now I'm working on two more just because Level V may be the last PD award I can get, but it doesn't mean Stop.

Private Investigator

Quote from: a2capt on March 03, 2013, 02:56:41 AMI got my master rating for Level V done in a specialty track that had currently functioning test methods. Now I'm working on two more just because Level V may be the last PD award I can get, but it doesn't mean Stop.

Roger that. My first Master rating was in "Senior Programs", now they call it "Professional Development". I still mentor others in it but that track has changed 50% of its contains in the last ten years.