Squadron Calendar/Schedule

Started by Stonewall, February 16, 2013, 07:27:34 PM

Stonewall

Out of the hundreds of things I've saved over the years, the one thing I need real quick like is a squadron calendar/schedule.  I prefer a 6 month version, but since I don't have time to create one from scratch right now, I'll take whatever anyone has, something in a Word or Excel format.

Example:

Thursday, 21 FEB 13
UOD:  BDUs

1900  Opening Formation (cadet commander, DCC)
1915  Moral Leadership (MLO)
2000  Ground Search Techniques (C/1st Lt Smith & Lt Col Stonewall)
2100  Final Formation/Announcements (cadet commander, DCC)
2115  Dismissal  (cadet commander)

Saturday, 23 FEB 13
UDF/COMMS Training:  0800 - 1600
UOD:  BDUs + see equipment requirements
POC:  Lt Col Tentpeg

Something like that, but in a format.  If you have one I may even steal your actual schedule.  I just need some help.  I have a staff meeting tomorrow and really trying to offer some help to my squadron.  I think the first thing we need is a solid schedule.

Airborne!
Serving since 1987.

Huey Driver

Attached is the format that I create every week in Google Drive, exported into Excel. It's also shared and can be edited by the DCC. Also when in Drive, it shows up with the squadron logo in the top right corner. It prints out well.

Since you can't attach Excel files on here, if you like it, PM me and we'll figure out how to get it to you.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

I would suggest taking the time and using Google Calendar.  You can set reminders, attached documents,
create recurring events, but the best part is that people can subscribe to it and it will appear on their phones,
etc.

Agenda view will show a pure list.

"That Others May Zoom"

CDCTF

Here's what I have my cadets do, but could be adapted for any schedule.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XmJT1WrMydH0Sr9M0vwSace4l3nAyUriTT87ycmP3Ns/edit?usp=sharing

I've found that putting specific times on a schedule usually ends up with the entire schedule being irrelevant after the first 15 minutes of the meeting. We put "time to complete activity" instead. We also build in a certain amount of "flex time", anywhere from 15-30 minutes of the meeting that are not planned, allowing for any improvising that needs to be done.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CDCTF on February 17, 2013, 03:46:14 AM
I've found that putting specific times on a schedule usually ends up with the entire schedule being irrelevant after the first 15 minutes of the meeting. We put "time to complete activity" instead. We also build in a certain amount of "flex time", anywhere from 15-30 minutes of the meeting that are not planned, allowing for any improvising that needs to be done.

Not to derail this, but it seems like there is a time management issue here.  Putting times on the schedule is the whole point of a schedule.  If your cadets aren't hitting the time constraints, they need to plan better.  Flex time, and the "15-30" minutes, results in either 1/2 or an entire meeting each month being given to unplanned activities and improvisation. 

One unit I was in had an MLO (CDO) that would consistently go over his allotted time, and chew into other presenters time.  It got to the point that we'd reach the end of the meeting and someone who had been asked to prepare something would get rescheduled.  I found it rude to the folks that we scheduled to teach, even if they were our own cadets.  It also made reaching the program goals more difficult because stuff had to be rescheduled.

Another example is things like uniform inspections and opening formation.  I'd schedule 10 minutes for the cadets to get those two things done.  When I first got to the unit, they had 5 cadets and would take 20 minutes to do the inspection.  When we had 50 cadets, it took 10 minutes because that's how long I allotted.  They'll rise to the level of expectation. 

If it's the commander chewing up time, get him on your side and ask him to keep within the time frame as there is a lot of training that needs to be done.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill