Spaatz #1844

Started by Eclipse, February 14, 2013, 02:29:59 AM

Eclipse

I honestly didn't mean to dredge that up, though it looks like it's been about three years since it was mentioned, so its less common
among out top subjects.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

I have to agree with Ned on this.

There is a significant difference between facts that existed at the time of an award, but were not known, and had they been known, would have resulted in not granting an award on one hand, and on the other, facts that occurred after the award was given.

In the first case, then the award should be rescinded as (let me put my layman's law-geek hat on for a sec) "improvidently granted".  In the case discussed, the murder discussed seems to have occurred before the Spaatz was granted, and I would suggest that had that fact been known at the time, he would not have received the Spaatz, as such I would support rescission.

In the second, where something happens after the award, then I would oppose rescission in the vast majority of cases.  The exception would be if someone somehow utilizes a CAP award to commit a crime "Hey, you know, I received the CAP Spaatz award, so you can trust me." as he swindles someone...OK, then maybe rescind the award, but someone who happens to have a Spaatz gets in a bar fight in college after the fact...nah.  One has nothing to do with the other.

MSG Mac

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 14, 2013, 02:51:36 PM
As I was scrolling down the list, the one that jumped out and caught my eye was:

1281          [award rescinded]

Wonder what the story on that one is?

Jack

Texas Cadet Murders
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

What's interesting is that there is another David Graham with a Spaatz. He has a different middle initial, and is from Florida. IIRC, it's earlier than our Texas bad guy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mustang

Quote from: NIN on February 14, 2013, 03:11:09 PM
Recinded, not revoked.

IIRC, at the time the determination was made that the Graham, when taking the Spaatz exam approximately two weeks after brutally murdering Adrianne Jones, was not qualified to remain as a CAP cadet because he failed to meet the requirement under CAPR 39-2, para 2-2f (it is 2-2f now, not sure what it was then) of "good moral character" and therefore should never have been administered the Spaatz in the first place.

I think the basic idea was "he was improperly awarded this award, since he wasn't qualified."
Spot on. I am the one who pushed to make that happen.  He committed the murder four days before he took the test, so he took it under false pretense.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

a2capt

Why are there a few entries in the list where the same number is awarded to two different cadets, with an A or B suffix on it?

Did they really honk it up back then, three or four times, badly, by giving out the same number?

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on October 11, 2013, 06:43:52 AM
Why are there a few entries in the list where the same number is awarded to two different cadets, with an A or B suffix on it?

Did they really honk it up back then, three or four times, badly, by giving out the same number?

Yes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret