Group/Squadron/Flight Commander Term Limits

Started by Tim Medeiros, January 03, 2013, 03:08:10 PM

blinky

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2013, 10:49:45 PM
Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 10:42:59 PMBut you didn't answer my other question - are you aware that the BOG doesn't agree with the National Commander on this?

No.  All we have is your assertion, and you have ignored 3 requests by me, and one by Ned (who, BTW is the Vice Chair of the BOG) as to evidence of
this assertion.

So - aaaaaaaaaaaanyway - I'll post this again for those of you who actually are concerned that CAP is a dying organization because of myopic policy wonks and want to do something about it.

http://tinyurl.com/capregpetition

Майор Хаткевич

Can we get the troll patrol to clean this wreck?

Cool Mace

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 15, 2013, 11:12:20 PM

I was thinking the same thing...

Sorry, Blinky. But you have brought nothing to this thread to help people see your way.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

keystone102

You do know that the BOG can revoke the term limit reg if they wanted to. Please tell us how you know what the BOG is thinking. I'm sure Lt Col Lee would like to know.

blinky

Quote from: Cool Mace on January 15, 2013, 11:17:37 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 15, 2013, 11:12:20 PM

I was thinking the same thing...

Sorry, Blinky. But you have brought nothing to this thread to help people see your way.

Apology accepted.  My opinion - it is hard enough to find GOOD Squadron Commanders, but to force those good ones out, just does not make sense. We are a VOLUNTEER organization, NOT active duty military. Our overburden of mindless regulations is why Senior Member retention is such a problem.

blinky

Quote from: keystone102 on January 15, 2013, 11:23:55 PM
You do know that the BOG can revoke the term limit reg if they wanted to. Please tell us how you know what the BOG is thinking. I'm sure Lt Col Lee would like to know.

Not anymore they can't.

ßτε

Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 11:45:00 PM
Quote from: keystone102 on January 15, 2013, 11:23:55 PM

Not anymore they can't.
You are mistaken. The BoG has full authority over the organization, including the National Commander. If the BoG has an opinion on policy, or the implementation thereof, they simply direct the National Commander to revise it. If the National Commander refuses, then he or she will soon be a former National Commander.

I am fairly confident that the vast majority of the BoG has no opinion on this issue whatsoever. The BoG is more concerned with more strategic issues like funding.

[I think you may be confusing the BoG (Board of Governors) with the now defunct NB (National Board).]

keystone102

How do you know the BOG is against thiso regulation?

NIN

Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 10:58:53 PM
So - aaaaaaaaaaaanyway - I'll post this again for those of you who actually are concerned that CAP is a dying organization because of myopic policy wonks and want to do something about it.
<snip>

I'm trying to understand something. You'll forgive me if I seem a little, I dunno, retarded. I've been retired from CAP for 3 1/2 years now, so maybe I'm just becoming senile and slow.

You keep asserting that the BOG "does not agree with the National Commander" regarding term limits. 

You've been asked at least twice to back up that assertion, and every time, you seem to ignore the question and go off in a different direction.

Since one of the participants in one of the two threads here on CAP-Talk on this subject is actually a real, live honest-to-goodness member of the BOG and is, in fact, the VICE CHAIR of that august body, I would think, nay, I'd guarantee, he is in a position to know whether or not the BOG is in disagreement with the National Commander on any number of subjects. Not the least of which might be term limits for unit commanders.

While I know Ned pretty well, I know he takes his duties as a BOG'er (you see what I did there?) seriously and just doesn't tell random people all about the secret handshakes, meetings and whether or not the BOG chair likes celery in his tuna fish sandwiches. 

But, if Ned says "Yeah, not on the BOG's radar. We gots way, way bigger fish to fry..." then my thought is that the BOG could probably not give a rats ass whether the worlds most awesomest squadron commander is getting a raw deal vis-a-vis this new requirement or not.

Having been a squadron commander 5 times in 4 units in 2 states, including leading two units that received Squadron of Merit and Squadron of Distinction, I think I've in a position to understand most, if not all, the dynamics facing CAP unit commanders during their tenures.

If your unit commander is the most awesome unit commander in the history of Civil Air Patrol, then I'm sure that your unit is wicked high speed, well organized, well staffed and is currently experiencing a positive vector that a Space Shuttle would be envious of.   And the unit should survive that commander getting hit by a bus. Tomorrow. 

And if the unit cannot survive that circumstance, then that unit really is not wicked high speed, well organized, well staffed or on a positive vector.

But what do I know? I'm just some guy on the Internet who claims to have been in CAP over 28 years and been, you know, successful.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: NIN on January 16, 2013, 02:18:14 AM
Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 10:58:53 PM
<snip>

I'm trying to understand something. You'll forgive me if I seem a little, I dunno, retarded. I've been retired from CAP for 3 1/2 years now, so maybe I'm just becoming senile and slow.

You keep asserting that the BOG "does not agree with the National Commander" regarding term limits. 

You've been asked at least twice to back up that assertion, and every time, you seem to ignore the question and go off in a different direction.

Since one of the participants in one of the two threads here on CAP-Talk on this subject is actually a real, live honest-to-goodness member of the BOG and is, in fact, the VICE CHAIR of that august body, I would think, nay, I'd guarantee, he is in a position to know whether or not the BOG is in disagreement with the National Commander on any number of subjects. Not the least of which might be term limits for unit commanders.

While I know Ned pretty well, I know he takes his duties as a BOG'er (you see what I did there?) seriously and just doesn't tell random people all about the secret handshakes, meetings and whether or not the BOG chair likes celery in his tuna fish sandwiches. 

But, if Ned says "Yeah, not on the BOG's radar. We gots way, way bigger fish to fry..." then my thought is that the BOG could probably not give a rats ass whether the worlds most awesomest squadron commander is getting a raw deal vis-a-vis this new requirement or not.

Having been a squadron commander 5 times in 4 units in 2 states, including leading two units that received Squadron of Merit and Squadron of Distinction, I think I've in a position to understand most, if not all, the dynamics facing CAP unit commanders during their tenures.

If your unit commander is the most awesome unit commander in the history of Civil Air Patrol, then I'm sure that your unit is wicked high speed, well organized, well staffed and is currently experiencing a positive vector that a Space Shuttle would be envious of.   And the unit should survive that commander getting hit by a bus. Tomorrow. 

And if the unit cannot survive that circumstance, then that unit really is not wicked high speed, well organized, well staffed or on a positive vector.

But what do I know? I'm just some guy on the Internet who claims to have been in CAP over 28 years and been, you know, successful.

And that leaves really nothing to add!

Well done, NIN, as per usual.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 11:25:36 PMMy opinion - it is hard enough to find GOOD Squadron Commanders, but to force those good ones out, just does not make sense.

What makes a "good" Squadron Commander? And what about developing future Squadron Commanders?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 16, 2013, 01:26:02 PM
Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 11:25:36 PMMy opinion - it is hard enough to find GOOD Squadron Commanders, but to force those good ones out, just does not make sense.

What makes a "good" Squadron Commander? And what about developing future Squadron Commanders?

He's been suspended, so I don't know when he may (or probably not) get back to you.

NIN

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on January 16, 2013, 03:37:27 AM
And that leaves really nothing to add!

Well done, NIN, as per usual.

Thanks.  20 years of CAP internet operations (starting with the old CAP-Talk majordomo list on cap.gov BITD, and continuing thru CadetStuff's forums and now CAPTalk) has taught me a thing or two about how people behave on the Internet.

I don't mind discussing/debating issues in a forum as long as the participants are being above board and open-minded.  But refusing to acknowledge that people are asking you difficult questions, or refusing to act appropriately when reminded repeatedly is usually a red-flag for someone with an axe to grind.

Internet forums are about community norms and standards.  What flies here wouldn't last 5 second on Reddit, but what flies on Reddit would get modded to the moon here, too.  Knowing your audience is important and requires you to pay attention, listen and respond appropriately.

Wanna spout off on a gigantic frothing rant? Do so on Facebook or Twitter.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

Darin to the Rescue!!! BTW who has been on this forum the longest and and still participates in discussions?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Cool Mace

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 16, 2013, 06:44:32 PM
Darin to the Rescue!!! BTW who has been on this forum the longest and and still participates in discussions?

I was about to go through the list of members. But after looking at it, I don't have time to go through 124 pages of members.
Maybe one of the Mods can pull it up without any head ache?
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

SarDragon

Quote from: Cool Mace on January 16, 2013, 06:52:12 PM

I was about to go through the list of members. But after looking at it, I don't have time to go through 124 pages of members.

You can do it yourself.

Click the Members tab to bring up the members list. Click the top of the Date Registered column, and you'll get the list of registered members from day 1. You should be able to recognize the folks whose posts you have seen the most often.

Sort by Posts, and you'll have another point of view.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Quote from: SarDragon on January 16, 2013, 07:27:19 PM
Quote from: Cool Mace on January 16, 2013, 06:52:12 PM

You can do it yourself.

Click the Members tab to bring up the members list. Click the top of the Date Registered column, and you'll get the list of registered members from day 1. You should be able to recognize the folks whose posts you have seen the most often.

Sort by Posts, and you'll have another point of view.

Yup, or just click here: http://captalk.net/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0

Users in order of registration.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Silly SarDragon.

I recognize most of the early names, but excluding mods/admins, he's the winner!

Devil Doc

Dang SarDragon, you the winner of the "Salty Dog" award. Any comments?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Rick-DEL