First Sergeant Diamond...?

Started by Luis R. Ramos, January 01, 2013, 07:07:49 AM

Offutteer

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 11, 2013, 12:14:59 AMObviously they can't debate every little point of every single regulation, but that's why they have committees to hash this stuff out and make proposals for the Board to approve/disapprove.

There's your problem, highlighted in bold.  Every time a change to the uniform manual is suppose to be done, they send it to a committee.  They then want to look at the entire manual and make more suggestions before revising it.  And after beating every idea to death and beyond, but before they finish, Poof, more changes are made and then we start the whole process over again with a new committee.  It would be much simpler to give it to ONE and only ONE person and say, you are the OPR, please to rewrite this with the revisions we have now, but that hasn't happened.

abdsp51

I'm going to chime in here a little bit.  When I was a Flt Chief I had full control over setting policy for my flt period end of story.  There were three people who could overturn my decisions. 

I ran special projects @ Bagram AB a few years ago and guess what I had full authority based off of my position to run my operations as I saw fit, to include staffing, equipping etc.  Oh and I did this all as an NCO and when I was in Korea my Flt Lead who happened to be a Lt had full control over establishing flt policy for us and the same when I was in Iraq. 

Policies at least in the AF are not just set at higher headquarters levels but at the squadron and even flight levels as well.  Even now as a NCOIC for my section I have the authority to set policy for my section as long as laws and regulations are not violated in the process.

Bottom line at the end of the day not every policy needs the commanders direct say so and signature to be established.  As in this case the DCP was empowered via his position to establish such policy and did.  Now we can accept it as is or wait for the new manual to come out.  At the end of the day it will be the Sq CC decision to allow wear of the diamond or not and it is the duty and responsibility of the staff to support said decision.

(disclaimer: last sentence does not mean support unlawful or unethical behavior)

Luis R. Ramos

:)

As the OP, can I request from a moderator this thread be closed?

I consider the issue settled with the letter from the Deputy, Cadet Programs.

If others want to continue with the issues of "who has authority to set policy," it may be better to start a new thread.

However, almost all threads in CAP Talk do end up in such discussions...  >:D

And thank you to all that answered!  :clap:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer