Military award on CAP uniform etiquette

Started by UH60guy, December 19, 2012, 02:37:51 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

Wiwad, I was army Infantry. We wore our greens about once every other week. But we generally wore class A's. The few times we did wear short sleeves, or long with a tie, ribbons were required.

Pylon

Quote from: NIN on December 20, 2012, 12:11:11 AM
I am not 100% sure where they are worn on the the USAF and/or CAP uniform (darn, caught me: one of the only "Army-to-Air Force" things I don't know...)

Just as with Army transfers to the USAF or ANG, permanent unit awards get mixed into the person's main ribbon rack.  Those awards have a place in the regular order of precedence.

Quote from: NIN on December 20, 2012, 12:11:11 AM
In your case, you might want to avoid wearing your military ribbons to keep down the "point and laugh" crowd.  Just sayin'...

Yeah, yeah.  Unlike the Army, the Marines don't award a ribbon for doing what you're supposed to do like for graduating boot camp or successfully putting on your shoes.    ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Pylon on December 20, 2012, 12:51:40 AM
Yeah, yeah.  Unlike the Army, the Marines don't award a ribbon for doing what you're supposed to do like for graduating boot camp or successfully putting on your shoes.    ;)

Caught me.  And its not for successfully putting on our shoes. Its for helping the Marines put on theirs.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 20, 2012, 12:48:22 AM
Wiwad, I was army Infantry. We wore our greens about once every other week. But we generally wore class A's. The few times we did wear short sleeves, or long with a tie, ribbons were required.

Thats the Army. Completely customary to wear ribbons basically on ALL your 'dress' type uniforms: Class A, Class B, etc.

In the AF, it is customary for officers, especially rated officers, to not wear ribbons on the AF equivalent to the Class B uniform.  One notable exception to this, at least in my experience, were officers who are mustangs.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on December 20, 2012, 04:00:11 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 20, 2012, 12:48:22 AM

Thats the Army. Completely customary to wear ribbons basically on ALL your 'dress' type uniforms: Class A, Class B, etc.

In the AF, it is customary for officers, especially rated officers, to not wear ribbons on the AF equivalent to the Class B uniform.  One notable exception to this, at least in my experience, were officers who are mustangs.

Probably because there are very few officers who were former enlisted who become pilots. They usually have problems with the age 27-1/2 cutoff for pilot training.

jimmydeanno

Air.Force culture is pretty definitive that enlisted folks wear their ribbons on the shirt, while officers don't.  I haven't seen a single officer wearing ribbons on the shirt in the last 4 years here, or the 3 at the last base.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

The CyBorg is destroyed

YMMV.

I knew an ANG SMSgt AGR who did not wear ribbons on his shirt...just his qualification badges.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Camas

For those of you who are more knowledgeable of Navy/Marine protocol - are the ribbons required on such uniforms as the summer short-sleeve khaki (Navy) or the service bravo/charlies (Marines)? Or are they an option such as CAP or AF?

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on December 20, 2012, 07:18:51 PM
YMMV.

I knew an ANG SMSgt AGR who did not wear ribbons on his shirt...just his qualification badges.

Do you know how much of a PITA it is to wear your ribbons everyday?

You end up having to replace them every six months or so unless you're wearing ultra thins.

They snag on everything and attract dirt like a dirt magnet...

Rick-DEL

I was USAF, but my wife and borther-in-law were Navy. I recall visiting him when he was stationed at Norfolk, and was a CPO. He always had his ribbons on when he was in his Khaki's. My wife was only an E-5, so she only had the whites, which she did wear ribbons. So, to answer your question, I don't know  ??? Just mentioning what I have seen.

NIN

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 20, 2012, 08:23:19 AM
Air.Force culture is pretty definitive that enlisted folks wear their ribbons on the shirt, while officers don't.  I haven't seen a single officer wearing ribbons on the shirt in the last 4 years here, or the 3 at the last base.

Then the customary aspect of former enlisted officers wearing ribbon on the shirt may have gone away.

Bummer, cuz in the 1980s and 1990s, I saw it a bunch.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Well, I just looked at the Navy uni reg, and it says top 3, or all. Ribbons are listed as a Basic Uniform Component for Service Uniforms, so they are not optional.

I don't recall ever not wearing ribbons on any uniform where wear was permitted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on December 20, 2012, 11:42:27 PM
Well, I just looked at the Navy uni reg, and it says top 3, or all. Ribbons are listed as a Basic Uniform Component for Service Uniforms, so they are not optional.

I don't recall ever not wearing ribbons on any uniform where wear was permitted.

USCG requires them on their equivalent of our long-sleeve/tie order of dress (at least I think so; it's a long time since I was an Auxie).  I don't know if the "top three" rule applies to them or not.  I know I saw a LOT of senior NCO's, warrant officers and commissioned officers, not to mention Auxies with military service, with the most incredible ribbon racks, especially since they're only allowed to wear three to a line.

(Mike: Correct where needed)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Stonewall

FWIW, I have a CAP rack of "thin ribbons" I had made.  I don't wear ribbons on blues shirts and I don't own a CAP service coat, so it was really a waist.

In the Air Force, even as an enlisted guy, I choose not to wear my ribbons on my blues shirt (22 of them), just my service coat.

I'm a fan of following [unwritten] officer standards in the AF of not wearing ribbons on blues shirts and sticking with a badge or two, or three, or four.

As far as military badges, I have a few, and usually wear 1 CAP and 1 AF (or Army) badge. 

That's just how I roll.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Quote from: CyBorg on December 21, 2012, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 20, 2012, 11:42:27 PM

USCG requires them on their equivalent of our long-sleeve/tie order of dress (at least I think so; it's a long time since I was an Auxie).  I don't know if the "top three" rule applies to them or not.  I know I saw a LOT of senior NCO's, warrant officers and commissioned officers, not to mention Auxies with military service, with the most incredible ribbon racks, especially since they're only allowed to wear three to a line.

(Mike: Correct where needed)

Not worn on the long sleeve light blue shirt (Undress Blue - Winter).  Have to wear either top three, any nine or all on Winter Dress Blue (The dark blue long sleeve shirt everyone wants.), Tropical Blue etc. 
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on December 20, 2012, 12:11:11 AMI was never in a unit when it was actually awarded one of those, thus my wear of unit awards is 100% "temporary" (only during assignment to the unit). If you have "permanent" unit awards, I am not 100% sure where they are worn on the the USAF and/or CAP uniform (darn, caught me: one of the only "Army-to-Air Force" things I don't know...)

I know it was already mentioned, NIN, but here's a pic of where my Army Superior Unit Award went on my AF rack.  It goes right into the mix and is even acknowledged/recognized on vMPF.

Serving since 1987.

NorCal21

You know, I only wear my ribbons on my service coat. I tend to follow the custom of AF officers simply wearing their devices on the blues. I do it because it looks cleaner in my opinion, but also out of laziness. I can admit it!

LGM30GMCC

Course we also take it to another level. Generally, from what I have seen, not only do most officers wear only badges on our blues, we only wear mini-badges. Occasionally you see full-size ones but I would say that is generally the exception. More often you see the full size ones on larger folks.

CAPMajOhio

Since I have spent my entire 20+yrs in CAP working with Cadets I feel it is important to set a proper example.  I wear all my ribbons (USAF-ARMY-CAP) on Blues jacket and shirt.  Over those years I've heard many a comment from Cadets about the appearance (and performance) of Seniors.  I am always aware of my conduct, performance and appearance when working with cadets. 
Just as a side note...I seem to remember something about being in same uniform if you are inspecting others...kind of setting the example-meeting the standards thing.  So how do I convince Cadets I know my regulations/policies if I don't demonstrate it by properly wearing my ribbons.
Just my two cents.

LGM30GMCC

If you can wear your ribbons properly on your jackets, and badges etc properly on your shirt, you can likely wear your ribbons correctly on your shirt. I think you are thinking the amount cadets care about you wearing your ribbons is much higher than it likely is.

Generally, SMs shouldn't be conducting an inspection of cadets. There are some exceptions but the norm should be it being conducted by senior cadets. It's also a good experience for cadet officers to get in the habit of doing.

Part of the issue is also the tug-of-war between giving a more accurate culture of the USAF vs the very idea you describe. Culturally, in the USAF, so-called 'mustangs' will sometimes wear ribbons on their shirt but the majority of officers do not. I don't know when/where/how this cultural thing started. It's not written down anywhere but it just is that way.

And that's the rub...you may be demonstrating knowledge of the regulations, but lack of knowledge (or caring) of USAF officer culture. If you're around USAF CGOs they are more likely to ping on that than that you are demonstrating proper wear of ribbons for cadets. We're a finicky lot and the vast majority have little knowledge about CAP. Some of the issues of performance and appearance is why, I would argue, a majority of USAF CGOs have a dim view of CAP senior members.