Military award on CAP uniform etiquette

Started by UH60guy, December 19, 2012, 02:37:51 AM

UH60guy

OK, quick question. I've only been in CAP a few months and am relatively familiar with the regulations, but it's the "unspoken" or etiquette things I'm still unfamiliar with.

For those members who have been in the military, which military awards do you wear with your CAP uniform, in addition to the CAP ribbons? Do you wear them all? Or just those individual awards you "earned," AKA all but campaign and unit awards? Maybe just the high three?

Haven't worn the CAP blues much yet, and when I have I just skipped the ribbons all together. Curious to see what others approach is on this.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

PHall

Quote from: UH60guy on December 19, 2012, 02:37:51 AM
OK, quick question. I've only been in CAP a few months and am relatively familiar with the regulations, but it's the "unspoken" or etiquette things I'm still unfamiliar with.

For those members who have been in the military, which military awards do you wear with your CAP uniform, in addition to the CAP ribbons? Do you wear them all? Or just those individual awards you "earned," AKA all but campaign and unit awards? Maybe just the high three?

Haven't worn the CAP blues much yet, and when I have I just skipped the ribbons all together. Curious to see what others approach is on this.

Okay, I get the vibe that you're Army. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Basic rule is that if you can wear it on an Air Force uniform you can wear it on your CAP uniform. Provided you have a DD214/DD215 or orders awarding the ribbon/medal/badge.
CAPM 39-1 is the uniform reg and CAPR 39-3 is the Awards and Decs reg. They have charts and such to show what is worn where.

The decision to wear your military awards and decs is up to you. Personally, I wear just my personal decs (MSM, Aerial Ach, AF Comm and AF Ach) with my CAP ribbons.

capmaj

And it should be noted that generally speaking, as a matter of custom, not regulation, USAF officers do not wear any ribbons on an open-collared shirt. Only specialty badges/insignia are usually worn.

Sapper168

I am former army and i personally wear all of my ribbons from that time.  I earned them, service ribbons and all.  Some people don't want do the same and thats ok too.  Its a personal preference that isn't right or wrong.   8)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Sapper168

Quote from: capmaj on December 19, 2012, 04:19:29 AM
And it should be noted that generally speaking, as a matter of custom, not regulation, USAF officers do not wear any ribbons on an open-collared shirt. Only specialty badges/insignia are usually worn.

I think that may be a custom that has slowly been changing too.  I am seeing more and more pictures of USAF officers in Short sleeve blues with ribbons.   
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

PHall

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on December 19, 2012, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: capmaj on December 19, 2012, 04:19:29 AM

I think that may be a custom that has slowly been changing too.  I am seeing more and more pictures of USAF officers in Short sleeve blues with ribbons.

But do they have wings?   Getting pilots to wear blues is hard enough. Getting them to wear their ribbons properly can be a real PITA!

Pylon

I mix my (scarcely few) military ribbons in with my CAP ribbons.  I maintain a separate CAP/USMC mixed rack.  That being said, I follow the "traditions" of the Air Force officers who generally only wear badges (wings, etc.) on their blues shirt and no ribbons — even though Marine Corps custom is all your ribbons, all the time, every time.  I generally save wearing ribbons for the one or two occasions per year that call for a service coat.

Some CAP members would have huge 30+ ribbon racks if they combined their whole CAP and military ribbons, so some choose to be selective when assembling a combined rack.  That's personal choice.  If you rate 40 ribbons, wear all 40.  You're probably the second coming of Chesty Puller anyway and nobody is going to question you. ;)

That also being said, nobody is going to look down upon you for wearing what you've earned on your blues shirt or otherwise, as long as you rate it and you're wearing it properly to CAP's regulations. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on December 19, 2012, 04:45:49 AMThat also being said, nobody is going to look down upon you for wearing what you've earned on your blues shirt or otherwise, as long as you rate it and you're wearing it properly to CAP's regulations.

Agreed.

Also, in CAP, it is more common than in the USAF to see officers wearing ribbons on their shirts, especially the whites, since many members
have no other option for wearing them then with the aviator whites.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Pylon on December 19, 2012, 04:45:49 AM

Some CAP members would have huge 30+ ribbon racks if they combined their whole CAP and military ribbons, so some choose to be selective when assembling a combined rack.  That's personal choice.  If you rate 40 ribbons, wear all 40.  You're probably the second coming of Chesty Puller anyway and nobody is going to question you. ;)

Semper Fi   :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: UH60guy on December 19, 2012, 02:37:51 AM

I like what Navy Captains and Admirals do, they wear the three highest and it looks good.

Welcome aboard

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

I wear it all, all awards, and CIB and AASLT.

Wear what you want so long as you are approved it, and can back it with paperwork.

RogueLeader

Being former army myself, I wear all my ribbons (army and CAP) on my Service Dress.)  On the rare occasion that I wear ribbons on my blues shirt, I wear all my CAP ribbons plus the 2 Army ribbons that was due, in part or wholly responsible, to CAP service (MOVSM and AAR).
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

UH60guy

Thanks for the info guys. I'll stick to just my Army Aviator and Airborne badges. Still, never been a fan of ribbons on the shirt (sorry Marines), and I'm glad to hear that it's relatively common to go without. I personally just don't like the extra weight and feel of the shirt with them on. If I ever get the service coat and need ribbons, then I have some excellent feedback above to consider.

Funny now that I think about it, the Army rarely does anything where we're not wearing our ACU camouflage uniforms, so I'm not even sure what my own service commonly does on the Class Bs. Regs are one thing, common use is another. Then again, our new Class Bs make us look like the ice cream truck driver, but that's a story for another day.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: UH60guy on December 19, 2012, 07:52:07 PM
Funny now that I think about it, the Army rarely does anything where we're not wearing our ACU camouflage uniforms, so I'm not even sure what my own service commonly does on the Class Bs.

True enough.  I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I saw a Soldier - Active, Guard or Reserve - who wasn't wearing an ACU.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Pylon

Quote from: CyBorg on December 19, 2012, 07:57:34 PMTrue enough.  I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I saw a Soldier - Active, Guard or Reserve - who wasn't wearing an ACU.

Had a good Army friend of mine (who is a WO1) visit me at Parris Island.  UOD on base for Sundays and Graduation Days was almost always Service Charlies (for Marines) or service equivalent, so he wore Class B's of that new Army blue pants/white shirt combo (and wore ribbons and badges on the shirt). 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Quote from: Pylon on December 19, 2012, 08:18:51 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 19, 2012, 07:57:34 PMTrue enough.  I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I saw a Soldier - Active, Guard or Reserve - who wasn't wearing an ACU.

Had a good Army friend of mine (who is a WO1) visit me at Parris Island.  UOD on base for Sundays and Graduation Days was almost always Service Charlies (for Marines) or service equivalent, so he wore Class B's of that new Army blue pants/white shirt combo (and wore ribbons and badges on the shirt).

Were you thrashed appropriately for having Army friends?

RogueLeader

Quote from: UH60guy on December 19, 2012, 07:52:07 PM

Funny now that I think about it, the Army rarely does anything where we're not wearing our ACU's

Huh, During 09-10 at Bragg, we wore Class A's for payday activities, first Friday of every month.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 19, 2012, 09:57:19 PM
Quote from: Pylon on December 19, 2012, 08:18:51 PM

Were you thrashed appropriately for having Army friends?

The Army WO1 he's speaking of is also a former Marine.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Pylon on December 19, 2012, 04:45:49 AM
I mix my (scarcely few) military ribbons in with my CAP ribbons.

In your case, you might want to avoid wearing your military ribbons to keep down the "point and laugh" crowd.  Just sayin'...

QuoteSome CAP members would have huge 30+ ribbon racks if they combined their whole CAP and military ribbons, so some choose to be selective when assembling a combined rack.  That's personal choice.  If you rate 40 ribbons, wear all 40.  You're probably the second coming of Chesty Puller anyway and nobody is going to question you. ;)

Don't forget, too, that the Army has "personal" awards (ie. ARCOMM, Cheese Medal, Good Conduct, etc) and then "Campaign & Service" (NDSM, KDSM, Iraq Campaign, GWOT, ASR, OSR, etc) and then there are the "unit awards" (worn over the nametag).   I was never in a unit when it was actually awarded one of those, thus my wear of unit awards is 100% "temporary" (only during assignment to the unit). If you have "permanent" unit awards, I am not 100% sure where they are worn on the the USAF and/or CAP uniform (darn, caught me: one of the only "Army-to-Air Force" things I don't know...)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.