Main Menu

Deputy commanders?

Started by okeecap, November 18, 2012, 01:47:10 AM

okeecap

Is the deputy commander of seniors a higher ranking position than the deputy commander of cadet, or are they an equal position?  Can in the absence of the unit commander the deputy commander of cadets run the meeting or does the deputy commander of seniors have to?

RogueLeader

They are typically equal positions. It all depends on how the squadron commander has it set up.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: okeecap on November 18, 2012, 01:47:10 AM
Is the deputy commander of seniors a higher ranking position than the deputy commander of cadet, or are they an equal position?  Can in the absence of the unit commander the deputy commander of cadets run the meeting or does the deputy commander of seniors have to?

There is no inherent hierarchy unless the commander designates one.

Anyone who is OK'ed by the commander can run a meeting.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

In my Squadron they are both equals.  I usually defer the meeting to my Deputy Commander for Seniors because he has more experience and the Deputy Commander for Cadets is typically up to his neck in Cadet Programs activities that I think if I task him with anything else he might pop.

okeecap

That to was my original impression, that the positions were equal until in a very rude way the deputy commander of seniors told me he was the deputy commander of the squadron and my position was a less important position compared to his.  Note this is a squadron with five seniors and twelve cadets.

cap235629

Quote from: okeecap on November 18, 2012, 03:24:54 AM
That to was my original impression, that the positions were equal until in a very rude way the deputy commander of seniors told me he was the deputy commander of the squadron and my position was a less important position compared to his.  Note this is a squadron with five seniors and twelve cadets.

too many chiefs.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Pylon

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme.  Focus on running an awesome cadet program while he's busy running a meeting.  It's not like the Deputy (of either flavor) can make any real command-decisions in a commander's brief absence from one meeting anyway.  Whoever fills in the for the commander at a meeting is really just acting like a parliamentarian.

Also, just remember that what you're posting here about disputes with other members or problems at your unit is tied to your name, your unit, and is publicly accessible even to non-registered viewers of the site, and furthermore lives here or in search engines in perpetuity.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Grumpy

Quote from: okeecap on November 18, 2012, 03:24:54 AM

We have 81 cadets and 35 seniors.  While both deputies are equal, we find that it's easier for the deputy for seniors to step in for the commander because the deputy for cadets has his hands full with the cadet program.

Private Investigator

The CDC and CDS are equals and that is it.

One meeting a month the Cadets and Seniors are together for promotions, awards, etc. All the other times the CDC is doing his thing and the CDS is doing his. When I went on vacation I left the CDC in charge overall. The next time I went on vacation the CDS was in charge. 

Flying Pig

In my Squadron both were equals, but the Deputy Commander for Seniors filled in for me in my abcenses. 

Dad2-4

Quote from: Pylon on November 18, 2012, 03:31:44 AMAlso, just remember that what you're posting here about disputes with other members or problems at your unit is tied to your name, your unit, and is publicly accessible even to non-registered viewers of the site, and furthermore lives here or in search engines in perpetuity.
I agree with others in that there is no hierarchy between the CDS and CDC unless the CC has set it up that way. Having been a CDC for several years, I'd be highly pissed if a CDS told me that my job was less important, especially seeing that cadets made up twice the membership as SMs.
Pylon, how is someone's name and unit publicly accessible? That information is often not even in a CT members profile.  And how do unregistered viewers access it?

SarDragon

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 18, 2012, 11:34:52 PM
Quote from: Pylon on November 18, 2012, 03:31:44 AMAlso, just remember that what you're posting here about disputes with other members or problems at your unit is tied to your name, your unit, and is publicly accessible even to non-registered viewers of the site, and furthermore lives here or in search engines in perpetuity.
I agree with others in that there is no hierarchy between the CDS and CDC unless the CC has set it up that way. Having been a CDC for several years, I'd be highly pissed if a CDS told me that my job was less important, especially seeing that cadets made up twice the membership as SMs.
Pylon, how is someone's name and unit publicly accessible? That information is often not even in a CT members profile.  And how do unregistered viewers access it?

Original post, copied, when not logged in.

QuoteUnit: SER-FL-453   

Deputy commanders?
« on: Yesterday at 09:47:10 PM »    
A.Garcia 2nd LT CAP
Deputy Commander
of Cadets OCCS

It's all there - name, unit, position.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

I often have to temper my replies, posts, and stories because I don't really want the wrong person to read them, but...I really don't have a whole lot to hide or say that would, in my opinion, negatively impact those folks above me in the food chain or my unit.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Which gets us back to Rule #1 for posting on the Internet.

"Don't post anything you don't want your Boss/Husband/Wife/Mother to read, because they will see it, eventually..."

Garibaldi

So that pic of me and the beer imbibing device (rhymes with gong) SHOULDN'T be on my Facebook? No wonder I can't get a real job...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

The whole vice vs deputy debate.

A deputy commander is in charge of one aspect of the mission...be it a functional area, geographical area, etc.

In the absence of the commander...his authority does not automatically devolved to anyone unless specificaly disignated.

Now...having said that....

In your "ideal" composite squadron.....it should almost make zero difference if the commander is there or not.  Policies he set for his CDC still apply and the CDS should not be making big policy changes that affect cadet operations in his absence.

However....operationaly the CDS would take on more authority as all the operations other than cadets should fall under him.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LGM30GMCC

Another way to look at it for devolution of command would be which deputy commander has higher grade. This is what we basically did in my last unit. I was a Maj, the CDC was a Captain, easy fix.

Or if they are both the same grade, or if you would prefer, go for the one with more PD under their belt.

Or go for the one with more total Time in Service.

There are lots of ways to figure it out. However if you are spending your time having a pissing contest about it, you're not doing any of your subordinates, or yourself, a favor. Power squabbles just make everyone either look poorly on both people involved, or start to take sides. Neither is healthy for a squadron.

Tim Medeiros

With my unit, I have stated the CDS is the head honcho in my absence.  The factors being 1) time in service, 2) time as a senior, and 3) because I cannot delegate the temporary CC permissions in eServices to my CDC.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Pylon

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 18, 2012, 11:34:52 PM

That was specifically addressed to the original poster in this thread.  In his case (and in many CAPTalk members' cases) they choose to share their name, rank, unit affiliation, etc. in their signature block and/or by filling in the unit number field on their profiles.  The unit field and signature block are viewable on every post.  So while unregistered users cannot view member profiles, they can view posts which contain this info.

Obviously, if you choose not to share that information then it is not available to registered or unregistered users.  But even members who have chosen to remain anonymous here have sometimes discovered that the internet is not as anonymous as one thinks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on November 19, 2012, 05:34:32 PM
But even members who have chosen to remain anonymous here have sometimes discovered that the internet is not as anonymous as one thinks.

Back in the day, before I "outed" myself (late 2007); I posted harsh and critical things about Iowa Wing command.  I found myself in front of the Wing CC, with serious consideration of a 2B for insubordination.  I was given a second chance, thankfully.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

While it is pretty clear that both deputies are equal, should there be a "Squadron Executive Officer" Or "Vice Commander"  in composite squadrons that is the official second in command? 

It would make it slightly easier figure out who to contact if the squadron commander isn't available and perhaps allow for a more orderly transition. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 19, 2012, 08:38:27 PM
While it is pretty clear that both deputies are equal, should there be a "Squadron Executive Officer" Or "Vice Commander"  in composite squadrons that is the official second in command? 

It would make it slightly easier figure out who to contact if the squadron commander isn't available and perhaps allow for a more orderly transition.

I would say "no", if only because the times it would ever be needed would approach zero for the majority of units.

There should never be a question as to who's "in charge", so if anyone in the chain, especially the CD's are ever hazy about that,
they should ask before it becomes an issue.  Any CD asserting made-up authority over another is likely to already have "control issues",
and maybe shouldn't be a CD at all.

In the unexpected absence of a Unit CC, both sides of the program should be structured enough so there's no need to worry about
either side being "in charge" both the CDC and CDS should have all the rights they need to get their jobs done, and since we're not talking
about authenticator cards or simultaneously turning keys, there's very little that "has to be done NOW", in a typical squadron that could not
wait until the Unit CC is back.  (Plus, absent illness, who's ever "gone" anymore?  You can do approvals from an airplane these days,
so no one should ever be "gone".)

In a case where there is unexpected longer-term abcense, then either the Unit CC or wing CC should appoint someone as interim / temp CC.
In the case where a unit CC is removed, it's the Wing CC's call, as someone has to be in the Unit CC slot.  But again, if two adults can't
find a way to work together at that level without causing dissension or drama, then it's time to change them as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2012, 08:49:50 PM

(Plus, absent illness, who's ever "gone" anymore?  You can do approvals from an airplane these days,

Those CAP members who deploy or PCS. . .

That's why I'm likely to become the CC in the next 6 months.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 19, 2012, 09:35:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2012, 08:49:50 PM

(Plus, absent illness, who's ever "gone" anymore?  You can do approvals from an airplane these days,

Those CAP members who deploy or PCS. . .

A PCS or deployment is probably justification for permanent change of command.  Though with that said, as long as there is
internet, you can do CAP business (assuming you'd want to).

I've had members who were part of SUI teams and did the entire inspection remotely while on USAF TDY (in CONUS).

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

No. Why create new positions? But I do know Squadrons that have XOs, Vices, Deputies and Assistant Commanders. Sad thing about that is none wants to step up and be the CC.    ::)

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 20, 2012, 02:00:40 AM

No. Why create new positions? But I do know Squadrons that have XOs, Vices, Deputies and Assistant Commanders. Sad thing about that is none wants to step up and be the CC.    ::)

Everyone wants authority, few will accept responsibility.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

lordmonar

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 20, 2012, 02:00:40 AM

Well....it depends on how you organise your squadron.

In an AD Flying squadron you have the Commander and the DO (deputy for operations) as the number one and number two guys in the squadron...but then you have XO who bosses over the admin, finance, personnel, support functions of the squadron.

My current CAP squadron if organised that way.

The Commander has two deputys and one XO.
CDC owns all the cadet functions.   CDS owns all the operations.  XO owns all the admin, support, supply, personnel, Professional Develpment functions.

So the two deputies have clear operational lines that they rule over....and the support functions that help both operations is under another branch of the organisation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on November 20, 2012, 06:15:17 AM
Uh, just how is this possible given the mandated organization charts we have that have no allowance for an XO? 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on November 21, 2012, 02:43:49 AM
Uh, just how is this possible given the mandated organization charts we have that have no allowance for an XO?

Mandated? I've only ever seen them as strong suggestions. Two of the units I've been have modified the structure, due to needs, and the inspectors have never even blinked.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on November 21, 2012, 02:48:18 AM

Mandated? I've only ever seen them as strong suggestions. Two of the units I've been have modified the structure, due to needs, and the inspectors have never even blinked.
CAPR 20-1:

Quote21.  Field Organization:
a. Headquarters  organizational  structures for each
level of command throughout CAP are depicted in part II.
This basic organizational structure has been determined to
be the most workable structure for all CAP units, and
deviations are not authorized
, except to expand particular
staff  elements as required to accomplish the unit's
mission

Sounds like they're "Mandated" to me.

Eclipse

Yep.  The creation of made up, local titles and authority was prohibited several years ago.

There's no such thing as an XO in a CAP unit, nor a Vice any thing or Chief Of Staff below wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Jeff,

21.  Field Organization:
deviations are not authorized, except to expand particular
mission

Now it says you can expand to accomplish the units mission. Since we have Sr's on Exec. staff, could you not place in XO over them?
It makes sense that you can expand to have an XO to accomplish the units mission.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

SARDOC

^^^^Oh see...you weren't supposed to read the whole sentence...Just the Bold Highlighted section. >:D

JeffDG

Quote from: Cool Mace on November 21, 2012, 03:17:32 AM
Jeff,

21.  Field Organization:
deviations are not authorized, except to expand particular
mission

Now it says you can expand to accomplish the units mission. Since we have Sr's on Exec. staff, could you not place in XO over them?
It makes sense that you can expand to have an XO to accomplish the units mission.
Except there's no "XO" staff element to expand...it doesn't exist in the senior organization.

EMT-83

Advisor to Commander, CC assigns duties consistent with XO. It's worked for us for many years.

RiverAux

Keep in mind that I am in favor of having an XO position for composite squadrons, but don't believe that there is enough wiggle room in 20-1 to do it right now. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on November 21, 2012, 02:48:18 AM

Most Inspectors let you "rationalize" anything. It does not make it right. i.e. Squadrons with "Commander Emeritus", Chief of Staff and a Deputy Chief of Staff? Advisor to the Commander? Especially if it is the Commander's spouse and that person has never been a Commander in CAP.

Private Investigator

Quote from: EMT-83 on November 21, 2012, 04:00:57 AM
Advisor to Commander, CC assigns duties consistent with XO. It's worked for us for many years.

At the Wing level yes. At the Squadron level it does not make sense for an "Advisor to the Commander". That is why I have a CDs, CDC, Admin Officer, Pers Ofcr, Finance Ofcr, Supply Ofcr, etc,etc, AKA "Staff".

In some Squadrons you may have several former Squadron and/or Group Commanders who are on the Staff and are team players. Other Squadrons the former Commanders want to have a title and/or prestige and are not content with just being one of the guys. JMHO   ;)

SARDOC

Advisor to the Commander in my squadron is used for Former Unit Commanders who just go burnt out and aren't participating at a level enough to hold a staff position.  Keeping the two that I have on my roles has been very helpful because both have much more time back in CAP then I do...so I use them as Advisor's Not XO's

I also see a role for an XO but even with the 80+ members in my squadron, it's easily managed by the CDC and CDS without any problems.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on November 21, 2012, 10:34:47 PM
Advisor to the Commander in my squadron is used for Former Unit Commanders who just go burnt out and aren't participating at a level enough to hold a staff position.  Keeping the two that I have on my roles has been very helpful because both have much more time back in CAP then I do...so I use them as Advisor's Not XO's

Why is it necessary for a former CC to have a pretend staff job to continue to provide assistance and mentorship?
I'm not even assigned to the units where I was a CC and am able to provide help (when asked), without a title.

In my experience, most "advisers to the commander" are members who want authority with no responsibility, or for some reason aren't
allowed to take responsibility because of past drama.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2012, 11:00:05 PM

Why is it necessary for a former CC to have a pretend staff job to continue to provide assistance and mentorship?
I'm not even assigned to the units where I was a CC and am able to provide help (when asked), without a title.

In my experience, most "advisers to the commander" are members who want authority with no responsibility, or for some reason aren't

It's not necessary, but then again most staff positions aren't necessary.  I assign personnel into positions that I deem fit for the good order and operations of my unit.  It works out very well and while one of them is currently on deployment it seems to suit him very well.  There is no Authority associated with the position, at least in my unit.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2012, 11:00:05 PM

I concur   :clap:

docbiochem33

Both positions are equal and no one holds authority over the other unless the CC sets it up that way. 

Camas

Quote from: EMT-83 on November 21, 2012, 04:00:57 AM

E-services allows for appointments as advisers but these positions aren't listed in CAPR 20-1 so whey are we even using them? I would think not. JMHO.