Main Menu

Deputy commanders?

Started by okeecap, November 18, 2012, 01:47:10 AM

okeecap

Is the deputy commander of seniors a higher ranking position than the deputy commander of cadet, or are they an equal position?  Can in the absence of the unit commander the deputy commander of cadets run the meeting or does the deputy commander of seniors have to?

RogueLeader

They are typically equal positions. It all depends on how the squadron commander has it set up.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: okeecap on November 18, 2012, 01:47:10 AM
Is the deputy commander of seniors a higher ranking position than the deputy commander of cadet, or are they an equal position?  Can in the absence of the unit commander the deputy commander of cadets run the meeting or does the deputy commander of seniors have to?

There is no inherent hierarchy unless the commander designates one.

Anyone who is OK'ed by the commander can run a meeting.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

In my Squadron they are both equals.  I usually defer the meeting to my Deputy Commander for Seniors because he has more experience and the Deputy Commander for Cadets is typically up to his neck in Cadet Programs activities that I think if I task him with anything else he might pop.

okeecap

That to was my original impression, that the positions were equal until in a very rude way the deputy commander of seniors told me he was the deputy commander of the squadron and my position was a less important position compared to his.  Note this is a squadron with five seniors and twelve cadets.

cap235629

Quote from: okeecap on November 18, 2012, 03:24:54 AM
That to was my original impression, that the positions were equal until in a very rude way the deputy commander of seniors told me he was the deputy commander of the squadron and my position was a less important position compared to his.  Note this is a squadron with five seniors and twelve cadets.

too many chiefs.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Pylon

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme.  Focus on running an awesome cadet program while he's busy running a meeting.  It's not like the Deputy (of either flavor) can make any real command-decisions in a commander's brief absence from one meeting anyway.  Whoever fills in the for the commander at a meeting is really just acting like a parliamentarian.

Also, just remember that what you're posting here about disputes with other members or problems at your unit is tied to your name, your unit, and is publicly accessible even to non-registered viewers of the site, and furthermore lives here or in search engines in perpetuity.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Grumpy

Quote from: okeecap on November 18, 2012, 03:24:54 AM

We have 81 cadets and 35 seniors.  While both deputies are equal, we find that it's easier for the deputy for seniors to step in for the commander because the deputy for cadets has his hands full with the cadet program.

Private Investigator

The CDC and CDS are equals and that is it.

One meeting a month the Cadets and Seniors are together for promotions, awards, etc. All the other times the CDC is doing his thing and the CDS is doing his. When I went on vacation I left the CDC in charge overall. The next time I went on vacation the CDS was in charge. 

Flying Pig

In my Squadron both were equals, but the Deputy Commander for Seniors filled in for me in my abcenses. 

Dad2-4

Quote from: Pylon on November 18, 2012, 03:31:44 AMAlso, just remember that what you're posting here about disputes with other members or problems at your unit is tied to your name, your unit, and is publicly accessible even to non-registered viewers of the site, and furthermore lives here or in search engines in perpetuity.
I agree with others in that there is no hierarchy between the CDS and CDC unless the CC has set it up that way. Having been a CDC for several years, I'd be highly pissed if a CDS told me that my job was less important, especially seeing that cadets made up twice the membership as SMs.
Pylon, how is someone's name and unit publicly accessible? That information is often not even in a CT members profile.  And how do unregistered viewers access it?

SarDragon

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 18, 2012, 11:34:52 PM
Quote from: Pylon on November 18, 2012, 03:31:44 AMAlso, just remember that what you're posting here about disputes with other members or problems at your unit is tied to your name, your unit, and is publicly accessible even to non-registered viewers of the site, and furthermore lives here or in search engines in perpetuity.
I agree with others in that there is no hierarchy between the CDS and CDC unless the CC has set it up that way. Having been a CDC for several years, I'd be highly pissed if a CDS told me that my job was less important, especially seeing that cadets made up twice the membership as SMs.
Pylon, how is someone's name and unit publicly accessible? That information is often not even in a CT members profile.  And how do unregistered viewers access it?

Original post, copied, when not logged in.

QuoteUnit: SER-FL-453   

Deputy commanders?
« on: Yesterday at 09:47:10 PM »    
A.Garcia 2nd LT CAP
Deputy Commander
of Cadets OCCS

It's all there - name, unit, position.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

I often have to temper my replies, posts, and stories because I don't really want the wrong person to read them, but...I really don't have a whole lot to hide or say that would, in my opinion, negatively impact those folks above me in the food chain or my unit.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Which gets us back to Rule #1 for posting on the Internet.

"Don't post anything you don't want your Boss/Husband/Wife/Mother to read, because they will see it, eventually..."

Garibaldi

So that pic of me and the beer imbibing device (rhymes with gong) SHOULDN'T be on my Facebook? No wonder I can't get a real job...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

The whole vice vs deputy debate.

A deputy commander is in charge of one aspect of the mission...be it a functional area, geographical area, etc.

In the absence of the commander...his authority does not automatically devolved to anyone unless specificaly disignated.

Now...having said that....

In your "ideal" composite squadron.....it should almost make zero difference if the commander is there or not.  Policies he set for his CDC still apply and the CDS should not be making big policy changes that affect cadet operations in his absence.

However....operationaly the CDS would take on more authority as all the operations other than cadets should fall under him.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LGM30GMCC

Another way to look at it for devolution of command would be which deputy commander has higher grade. This is what we basically did in my last unit. I was a Maj, the CDC was a Captain, easy fix.

Or if they are both the same grade, or if you would prefer, go for the one with more PD under their belt.

Or go for the one with more total Time in Service.

There are lots of ways to figure it out. However if you are spending your time having a pissing contest about it, you're not doing any of your subordinates, or yourself, a favor. Power squabbles just make everyone either look poorly on both people involved, or start to take sides. Neither is healthy for a squadron.

Tim Medeiros

With my unit, I have stated the CDS is the head honcho in my absence.  The factors being 1) time in service, 2) time as a senior, and 3) because I cannot delegate the temporary CC permissions in eServices to my CDC.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Pylon

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 18, 2012, 11:34:52 PM

That was specifically addressed to the original poster in this thread.  In his case (and in many CAPTalk members' cases) they choose to share their name, rank, unit affiliation, etc. in their signature block and/or by filling in the unit number field on their profiles.  The unit field and signature block are viewable on every post.  So while unregistered users cannot view member profiles, they can view posts which contain this info.

Obviously, if you choose not to share that information then it is not available to registered or unregistered users.  But even members who have chosen to remain anonymous here have sometimes discovered that the internet is not as anonymous as one thinks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on November 19, 2012, 05:34:32 PM
But even members who have chosen to remain anonymous here have sometimes discovered that the internet is not as anonymous as one thinks.

Back in the day, before I "outed" myself (late 2007); I posted harsh and critical things about Iowa Wing command.  I found myself in front of the Wing CC, with serious consideration of a 2B for insubordination.  I was given a second chance, thankfully.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340