2013 National Conference

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, October 26, 2012, 03:48:02 AM

West MI-CAP-Ret

Does national hq give out the dates and times for the following year's conference at the end of the current conference?  (Or simply does anyone know the date and times for next year's national conference?)
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

spacecommand

Yes, the 2013 National Conference will be in Denver, Colorado, August 15-18, 2013.

MSG Mac

Quote from: spacecommand on October 26, 2012, 06:25:22 AM
Yes, the 2013 National Conference will be in Denver, Colorado, August 15-18, 2013.

You might want to start planning at least 90 days out, fit hotel and transportation. National's hotel is the Sheraton, but you may save by checking nearby hotels or using a package deal from one of the online travel sites. I saved over $100 a few years ago by staying at the Marriot across the street from the larger Marriot CAP was using got the conference.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Probably save several hundred by staying a block away and hoofing it.

I wanna see a conference held at least once, where they use a community service organization's facility and a near by Motel 6  ;)

MSG Mac

Quote from: a2capt on October 26, 2012, 08:21:15 PM
Probably save several hundred by staying a block away and hoofing it.

I wanna see a conference held at least once, where they use a community service organization's facility and a near by Motel 6  ;)

So many colleges have convention facilities and dorms  available between semesters
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Ned

Maybe the Scouts have the right idea with their Jamborees.

Each unit gets their own campsite, latrines nearby.

Think of the savings!

Plus, since the Scouts are going elsewhere, we could almost certainly get Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.  I think the last half dozen national jamborees were there.  Must be a lot of infrastructure available.

Who's with me?

MSG Mac

I am, but I would prefer a College campus that has conference and dining facilities. I would assume that there are many colleges that are available in early to mid August before the fall semester begins. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

bosshawk

I was once stationed at Fort A.P.Hill and if you like tent camping and putting up a mess tent for meals, you are looking at the right facility.  Go to Google Earth and take a look at A.P.Hill and then tell me that it would make a good place to hold the National Conference.  It also is at least 50 miles from the nearest commercial airport and there is no train service.

Great place for copperhead snakes, chiggers and flies.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

West MI-CAP-Ret

What about staying @ the Air Force Inn for retired military folks?
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

SarDragon

Quote from: Lab Lover on November 16, 2012, 01:22:25 AM

Nothing, except that retirees are at the very bottom of the pecking order. Depending on PCSing personnel requirements, there may or may not be room at the inn. Most of the time it's Space-A, with very little opportunity to book in advance.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Why don't we just do these at Maxwell?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on November 16, 2012, 02:59:55 AM

Nothing, except that retirees are at the very bottom of the pecking order. Depending on PCSing personnel requirements, there may or may not be room at the inn. Most of the time it's Space-A, with very little no opportunity to book in advance.

FTFY

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2012, 03:02:22 AM
Why don't we just do these at Maxwell?

Shhhh, you are making way to much good sense, better lock your doors tight tonight... the black vans are on the way.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

jimmydeanno

I'm not sure where on Maxwell you could hold the CAP National Conference.  It certainly doesn't have the facilities available that would be needed.  Lodging would be far removed, and there isn't anything to do in the area.  Additionally, MGM is unjustifiably expensive to fly into.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on November 16, 2012, 03:31:05 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 16, 2012, 02:59:55 AM

Nothing, except that retirees are at the very bottom of the pecking order. Depending on PCSing personnel requirements, there may or may not be room at the inn. Most of the time it's Space-A, with very little no opportunity to book in advance.

FTFY

The 'very little' went with the 'most of the time'.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Anyone who's ever planned a conference knows that nothing is free and very little is cheap. Unless you're willing to fly across the country to have a conference in the meeting room at Motel 6 and have it catered by McDonald's there are some very real costs associated with conferences. There is no way around that, though it's always an interesting conversation among armchair quarterbacks on the internet and on feedback forms.

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 16, 2012, 04:09:22 AM
I'm not sure where on Maxwell you could hold the CAP National Conference.  It certainly doesn't have the facilities available that would be needed.  Lodging would be far removed, and there isn't anything to do in the area.  Additionally, MGM is unjustifiably expensive to fly into.

That gets to the fundamental nature of these conferences.

Are they mandated activities intended to execute corporate business and related functions that are better handled with in-face
meetings, or are they mini-vacations for the attendees?

The latter requires "destination convention centers" like Las Vegas, Orlando, etc.  The former could be done at just about any
military base, or at least near Maxwell, and while there will always be inherent costs, they'd be a lot less if the intent was business and
nothing else.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

"Execute corporate business" is just an added convenience.  Conferences in "the real world" don't have board meetings during them.  They are networking opportunities and learning experiences - not an extension of our governance model.  If anything, our corporate officers should be out and about during them, not holed up in a meeting room. However, our isolationist tendencies in CAP lead to introverted conferences where the safety briefing is conducted by the wing safety officer and we learn about what internal CAP forms to fill out - instead of having an industry expert speak from a perspective that isn't CAP.

Destination resorts aren't required, but a bonus.  They usually have inexpensive airports, and abundance of hotel rooms, and a bonus of something to do after the conference hours (other than the bowling alley or O-Club).
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2012, 04:42:20 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 16, 2012, 04:09:22 AM

That gets to the fundamental nature of these conferences.

Are they mandated activities intended to execute corporate business and related functions that are better handled with in-face
meetings, or are they mini-vacations for the attendees?

The latter requires "destination convention centers" like Las Vegas, Orlando, etc.  The former could be done at just about any
military base, or at least near Maxwell, and while there will always be inherent costs, they'd be a lot less if the intent was business and
nothing else.

Actually, a little bit of both. For the latter, it's all about opportunity. If you're going to one of these 'destinations', why not bring the family along, take a couple of extra days and do two things on one set of plane tickets? I saw a fair amount of that at the Nat Boards here in Sandy Eggo two years ago.

Another organization I belong to has an annual convention, and we have the same issues. It moves around the country, and also depends on local members to staff the event. There are always complaints about location and cost.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 16, 2012, 04:59:52 AM
"Execute corporate business" is just an added convenience.  Conferences in "the real world" don't have board meetings during them.  They are networking opportunities and learning experiences - not an extension of our governance model.  If anything, our corporate officers should be out and about during them, not holed up in a meeting room. However, our isolationist tendencies in CAP lead to introverted conferences where the safety briefing is conducted by the wing safety officer and we learn about what internal CAP forms to fill out - instead of having an industry expert speak from a perspective that isn't CAP.

Our paradigm doesn't support, or need this model.  As someone who earns a living from trade shows, I see first hand what a huge waste of
resources and time they are - a week of wandering with 15 minutes of accidental networking that actually pays off, while the rest of the information
is easier to get and more clearly articulated on the web.

10 years ago, sure.  Today, no.

We already have Wing and Region conferences every year, what's left to discuss, reveal, or be exposed to that is more relevant when
presented on a national level then when presented more locally?

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

The National Conference is no longer a place for Corporate business affairs.  It's now a national commander's call and networking event, with seminars and working sessions to advance our best practices. 

It may be interesting to see if there is any difference from old National Board meetings but, unless the CSAG decides to advance the "rumblings" of the wing commanders, "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". :angel:

YesMam

Quote from: spacecommand on October 26, 2012, 06:25:22 AM

Question....CAP NHQ website says Aug 15-17.....is there something else that happens on the Sunday?   Never been to a National Conference, so trying to figure out what goes on and how to plan.   

We are coming from Phoenix, plan to stop at Utah Shakespeare Festival the weekend before the Conference and not sure if we'd be heading home Sunday or another day of conference or something similiar on the 18th.   

Thanks for any details you can give about the ins and outs of a conference. 

PHall

Sunday is usually get out of town day.

rugger1869

Andrews AFB just built a nice multi-million dollar, state of the art conference facility that I'm sure they'd rent out. Huge Air Force inn and many good hotels within a few miles of the gate.

krnlpanick

I, for one, am excited that the National Conference will be in Denver this year! I am looking forward to meeting a lot of people that I talk to here and via email face to face! There is plenty of after-hours activities in Denver and having worked in the entertainment industry for something like 14 years now I will be more than happy to make any suggestions as the date gets closer. There is tons of good food near the convention center and lots of large and independent hotels within walking distance. Denver may not be Vegas, San Diego, or Orlando; but I assure you, you will have a great time here!
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

arajca

Of course, if you want to experience mild hypoxia, you can come up to the mountains, just 90 minutes away!

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on December 22, 2012, 06:09:33 PM
Of course, if you want to experience mild hypoxia, you can come up to the mountains, just 90 minutes away!

Ugh.  One of the reasons I never like Denver for shows.   We all walk around with a mild headache and sometimes it feels
like you're running out of air if you're walking down the street talking on the phone, etc.

That and the hipsters.

Although the food truck court down the street from the convention center usually has some good / unique food.

And then, of course, there's the bear.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

I actually live 20 minutes from Denver, and am phsyched for the conference.

I will say, however, that because of amendment 64, things may be a little cloudy. I haven't had any issues with them yet, however, while just driving around.

Yet.  >:D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

PHall

Quote from: Levi Lockling on December 26, 2012, 04:48:45 AM
I actually live 20 minutes from Denver, and am phsyched for the conference.

I will say, however, that because of amendment 64, things may be a little cloudy. I haven't had any issues with them yet, however, while just driving around.

Yet.  >:D

What makes you think there aren't people driving stoned right now, because they are...