Lets talk about flight suits please BLUE nomex or BLUE coverall preferably.

Started by Blues Brother, September 26, 2012, 12:20:44 AM

Blues Brother

All good information people!  thanks!   at this point I am thinking of going with the Propper nomex sage green flight suit. 

SarDragon

Quote from: AngelWings on September 30, 2012, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: blackrain on September 30, 2012, 07:42:35 PM
I got the heavy weight fabric (6.5 oz) Navy Blue Nomex from Gibson & Barnes. Got is for less than $200 when I ordered it in 2008. I would trust G&B waaaay before I would Vanguard for flightsuits and prices are comparable ($260 ish). Zippers are heavy weight and durable.

I'm military but for CAP I think the Navy Blue color is more fitting for our mission (just a personal opinion) and I can use sew on rank instead of that cheesy plastic encased stuff.

I'm very carefull about washing it alone and hanging it inside to dry and it's holding up well. Heavier fabric doesn't wrinkle much but it can be warm to wear to some I'm sure.

My 2 cents
Gibson and Barnes is the best.

G&B is also the most expensive, and I haven't really noticed a difference in quality. I live less that 10 miles from them. (No, I can't get a discount.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on October 02, 2012, 05:21:53 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on September 30, 2012, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: blackrain on September 30, 2012, 07:42:35 PM
I got the heavy weight fabric (6.5 oz) Navy Blue Nomex from Gibson & Barnes. Got is for less than $200 when I ordered it in 2008. I would trust G&B waaaay before I would Vanguard for flightsuits and prices are comparable ($260 ish). Zippers are heavy weight and durable.

I'm military but for CAP I think the Navy Blue color is more fitting for our mission (just a personal opinion) and I can use sew on rank instead of that cheesy plastic encased stuff.

I'm very carefull about washing it alone and hanging it inside to dry and it's holding up well. Heavier fabric doesn't wrinkle much but it can be warm to wear to some I'm sure.

My 2 cents
Gibson and Barnes is the best.

G&B is also the most expensive, and I haven't really noticed a difference in quality. I live less that 10 miles from them. (No, I can't get a discount.)
I've had buddies (nothing I've experienced so I am not talking from anything more than 2nd hand info here) say the G&B gloves were higher quality than anyone elses because of the thumb stitching.

SarDragon

You know, you need to let us know when you are changing subject material. This entire thread has been discussing zoom bags, and all of a sudden you switch to gloves. Not kool.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on October 03, 2012, 02:33:20 AM
You know, you need to let us know when you are changing subject material. This entire thread has been discussing zoom bags, and all of a sudden you switch to gloves. Not kool.
Well, I was trying to ease into saying we should have red gloves and red flightsuits  >:D

The topic switch was two topics in one. The quality of Propper versus Gibson & Barnes and an example. I was not trying to change the topic any more than to support what I've been told by SWIM. Just so the OP knows what might be out there, and that it has had some good reviews.

Blues Brother

Hey Red flight suits would be cool!!! 8)

I guess I kinda wonder why the CAP doesnt have higher visability color flight suits.  I mean its not like we are combat units and we are doing SAR and stuff like that, why not have hi vis color suits?  I mean in the event of emergency landing,  I would rather be wearing Red, bright blue, or orange  than sage green or dark blue.   seems to make sense to me. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

We once wore orange, as did the AF, modelled here by Captain John Christopher in one of my favourite Star Trek episodes, "Tomorrow Is Yesterday."

Note the plastic-encased rank insignia and leather nameplate, which we still wear.

As for red...the Red Arrows of the Royal Air Force:

Bright blue and you get the Roulettes of the Royal Australian Air Force:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Blues Brother

So what do you folks do for the patches?  do you just get matching color velcro and have it sewn on the suit?   or do you have your patches sewn directly to the suit??

any recommendations there??

AngelWings

Quote from: Blues Brother on October 10, 2012, 11:50:18 PM
So what do you folks do for the patches?  do you just get matching color velcro and have it sewn on the suit?   or do you have your patches sewn directly to the suit??

any recommendations there??
'Pends on the color of the suit.

For green, use matching green if it doesn't have all the velcro already on it. For blue, use black or blue, whatever works for you. Some people do directly sew onto it, but certain patches are meant to be velcro only.

SarDragon

I have a blue bag, and use black Velcro for all the places that don't already have the dark blue Velcro. All my patches, rank, etc. have Velcro. Nothing is sewn directly to the bag. That way, the patches don't get thrashed in the washer and dryer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Blues Brother

Blues Brother

well after all the input here I ended up getting a used sage green suit from ebay.  I am glad I did.  thanks to all!!!!