Poll for military veterans...

Started by Stonewall, September 25, 2012, 06:52:00 PM

If asked to produce a DD 214 to demonstrate proof of military service and earned medals/awards/badges, prior to joining CAP, would you have a problem with forking it over?

Yes
2 (2.2%)
No
89 (97.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

The Infamous Meerkat

No issue here... Seems like I'm required to keep the friggin thing on my person anymore, every place I go supposedly needs to see it for one reason or another.... What's one more?
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Texas Raiders

I'm surprised to see that someone voted, "Yes."  I submitted a copy of my DD214 to my squadron when I joined.  I was not asked to produce a copy, but was told that any military awards or devices could be questioned without proper documentation.  I was told early on in my military career not to depend on the yeomen 100% and to keep a copy of everything.  I was also told to make friends with the yeomen, cooks, storekeepers, and corpsmen.   ;)  I kept two file boxes full of documentation, including LES's, request chits, award narratives, training documentation, qualification packets and certificates, promotion certificates, OC spray qual letter (15 copies), personal copies of my medical and personnel records, etc.  It paid off on several occasions and in one instance, resulted in 8 months of backpay for an overlooked allowance.   

Unfortunately, there are scabs (I'd love to use another term), some of which never served in the first place, that wear uniforms and decorations they did not earn.  Those individuals have betrayed the trust of many and as a result, brought skepticism upon real veterans.  I am a proud military veteran and have no issues with proving it when challenged.  I'd like to hope that all veterans feel that way as well.
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Stonewall

Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 18, 2013, 03:07:01 PMI kept two file boxes full of documentation, including LES's, request chits, award narratives, training documentation, qualification packets and certificates, promotion certificates, OC spray qual letter (15 copies), personal copies of my medical and personnel records, etc.  It paid off on several occasions and in one instance, resulted in 8 months of backpay for an overlooked allowance.   

I save EVERYTHING, even the things that are likely no longer relevant or aren't even "official".

Here is my first LES...
Serving since 1987.

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Stonewall on February 18, 2013, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 18, 2013, 03:07:01 PMI kept two file boxes full of documentation, including LES's, request chits, award narratives, training documentation, qualification packets and certificates, promotion certificates, OC spray qual letter (15 copies), personal copies of my medical and personnel records, etc.  It paid off on several occasions and in one instance, resulted in 8 months of backpay for an overlooked allowance.   

I save EVERYTHING, even the things that are likely no longer relevant or aren't even "official".

Here is my first LES...

Right on!  I have my first as well. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Pylon

I would say yes, but if you're still in (and therefore have no DD-214 yet) there has to be a secondary method for CAP to verify military awards.  This is where it gets dicey and more difficult to define, as each service has different online personnel systems and whatnot.

And that lone yes to the poll, based on this thread, I would guess is Radioman015.  Not surprising.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Pylon on February 18, 2013, 04:02:28 PM
I would say yes, but if you're still in (and therefore have no DD-214 yet) there has to be a secondary method for CAP to verify military awards.  This is where it gets dicey and more difficult to define, as each service has different online personnel systems and whatnot.

I went from AD to Guard, so this wasn't an issue.  But when my wife enlisted into the Guard, she got a 214 once she completed BMT and Tech School and returned to TG status.  Then, of course, if you're ever activated, you get a 214 post-deployment.  That's why I have 3 214s, a 215, and 2 NGB 22's.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

There was a criminal case where a guy was convicted of forgery, then submitted a HUGE stack of military documents in an effort to get consideration on his sentence.  His DD214 showed Special Forces 18D (medic) Combat Dive, Parachutist and a huge stack of medals.

Problem is..... his DD214 and his NGB 22 WERE real.  He had managed  to actually get some admin clerk to actually put that stuff on his records when he got out.  But when you called the actual schools, JFK Special Warfare, Dive School and other places, they had no record of him ever attending.  So his DD214 and his NGB22 were real, but the foundations behind the entries was fraudulent.  Oh......  I forgot the best part, he also lied about being an Army UH60 Pilot.  He had his civilian CFI, but was never a military pilot.  This lie got him a job flying a twin engine helicopter for an EMS operator.

Yeah, thats an extreme case.... but it happens.  And this guy owns a company that trains LE, EMS and military flight crews.   All based on lies. 

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 18, 2013, 05:50:16 PM
There was a criminal case where a guy was convicted of forgery, then submitted a HUGE stack of military documents in an effort to get consideration on his sentence.  His DD214 showed Special Forces 18D (medic) Combat Dive, Parachutist and a huge stack of medals.

Problem is..... his DD214 and his NGB 22 WERE real.  He had managed  to actually get some admin clerk to actually put that stuff on his records when he got out.  But when you called the actual schools, JFK Special Warfare, Dive School and other places, they had no record of him ever attending.  So his DD214 and his NGB22 were real, but the foundations behind the entries was fraudulent.  Oh......  I forgot the best part, he also lied about being an Army UH60 Pilot.  He had his civilian CFI, but was never a military pilot.  This lie got him a job flying a twin engine helicopter for an EMS operator.

Yeah, thats an extreme case.... but it happens.  And this guy owns a company that trains LE, EMS and military flight crews.   All based on lies.

Sickening.  If you haven't before, you should look up Senior Chief Don Shipley.  He is a retired US Navy SEAL who maintains the SEAL database and whose hobby is busting SEAL imposters.  He's really good at it and has a nice collection of Youtube vids that demonstrate his talent. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567

Cliff_Chambliss

There are a number of web sites for the SEALS, Special Operations, Rangers, etc. that maintain listings of fakes.  Look up "Stolen Valor" and read some of the bios they have posted .
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Pylon on February 18, 2013, 04:02:28 PM

Couldn't you go to your base personnel office and get some sort of a print-out of your documentation?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

You can still get that page in your records that verifies your decorations.  I personally saw mine updated a few times.  Ive been out a while..... do they still hand you your actual hard copy record book to hand carry to your new unit?   I know a guy personally who left an active duty with one set of minuscule awards, and checked in to their new Army Reserve unit with jump, dive. AND a SEAL trident and managed to go from E-6 to E-8 until he got caught.  Seriously... An Army guy with a SEAL trident.  There are a few, but not many.   He was caught by asking a simple question....

Q:"Hey top.... (Army slang for MSgt) What BUDs class were you in?"   

A:"I was already in Force Recon in the Marines as a sniper, so the Navy granted me a waiver for BUDs.  I was one of the few because I was brought over to develop their sniper program"

A:"F------- awesome!  Its an honor to work with you"  (totally fooled)

I talk to a SEAL about my awesome MSgt..... and he says "Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy?"   He emails me back about 30 minutes later and says "Hey dude.... your guy is a 100% fake."  I say, "Nahhhh, seriously dude.  Ive watched the guy personally go from E6 to E8.  They would have caught him by now."

By the next drill, MSgt was a Pvt/E1 and was being Dishonorably Discharged for fraud, forgery of military documents, and all sorts of other UCMJ violations.

If someone makes serious claims, find someone who knows the deal.  Yeah, OK, some ribbons or something may be a little tough, but if someone claims something high speed low drag, there are 50 web sites that can verify someones SEAL, PJ, Ranger, SF status.  None of those quals are ever secret.  If someone comes in and makes the extra effort to doctor a DD214 or something.... well, chances are there are going to be other issues beyond just a couple ribbons in the stack. 

PHall

The military is actually a pretty small community. Usually takes no more then a half dozen phone calls to the "right" people and you have your answer.

LGM30GMCC

I heard a claim that a dude had spent 5 years in the army, and in that time made Sergeant and was a DI. This had my alarm bells ringing because in the USAF this would have been a 'No freaking way' situation. (At least in the modern USAF.)

So I poked around and called some pretty high-up (think it was an E-7 or E-8) sergeant whose number was on the Army recruiting site. Explained who I was and why I was calling and he explained a bit about how the Army worked. Told me 'Yeah it's possible'. I haven't really conversed with the guy much. As it was I was growling to our mutual friend who was his DCS because he was wearing his subdued metal army badges (including EIB) on his BBDUs with metal 2d Lt rank. (I was displeased with that situation.)

If I really meet him again I may poke a little bit more since he has my BS flags going off pretty hard.

But yeah, I agree that it can be difficult to verify some service in less common but not extremely rare branches. I could probably expose a fake missiler most likely by asking the right pointed questions, but a fake missile maintainer would be a lot harder. That being said I could recognize a modern Awards/Decs print off from vMPF, but if they were in the service, and somewhat computer savy they could likely fake that. If they were claiming current service that'd be REAL easy to verify though.

flyboy53

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 25, 2012, 07:15:24 PM
I am missing my AAM from my 214, but I have a copy of the orders for it.  My 214 was created about a week before my ETS and award of the AAM.  I can, however, provide all data needed for the awards I have.

Go on-line and google Standard Form 180. Fill it out completely and fax it to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Include your DD Form 214 and the orders showing the AAM. At the bottom of the form, write in the section "seeking correction of military records to reflect the AAM. If you are Army, you can do the same thing by faxing the request to the US Army Human Resources Command, A DD Form 215 will be generated to show the decoration and you will be required to attach it to the DD Form 214.

It's a common practice. I have two DD Form 215s from my last period of active duty due to missing ribbons and some administrative errors -- also because I, too, am very sensitive to forged or doctored DD Form 214s, I had the Air Force list the two badges I earned.

J2H

I made E-5 in 4 years.  As far as the orders... I KNOW I have awards which I was not given orders for (short tours and long tours) due to the length of deployment time... can't justify those now... I threw on my ribbon rack what I know I have and no one cared.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

bosshawk

When I was still active in CAP:

two long-sleeved white aviator shirts
two short-sleeved white aviator shirts
numerous gray slacks
black low-quarters

three flight suits, nomex
one nomex flight jacket
one pair Army tanker boots
one pair Corcoran boots

one black A-2 leather jacket

one flight cap(worn once in 18 years)

one Sq baseball cap

flying gloves

one CAP baseball cap

four polo shirts, one with basic wings, one with senior wings and two with command pilot wings.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NIN

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 21, 2013, 12:54:19 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on September 25, 2012, 07:15:24 PM
I am missing my AAM from my 214, but I have a copy of the orders for it.  My 214 was created about a week before my ETS and award of the AAM.  I can, however, provide all data needed for the awards I have.

Go on-line and google Standard Form 180. Fill it out completely and fax it to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Include your DD Form 214 and the orders showing the AAM. At the bottom of the form, write in the section "seeking correction of military records to reflect the AAM. If you are Army, you can do the same thing by faxing the request to the US Army Human Resources Command, A DD Form 215 will be generated to show the decoration and you will be required to attach it to the DD Form 214.

It's a common practice. I have two DD Form 215s from my last period of active duty due to missing ribbons and some administrative errors -- also because I, too, am very sensitive to forged or doctored DD Form 214s, I had the Air Force list the two badges I earned.

I have a DD215 that reflects the award of the Korean Defense Service Medal. I SF180'd for it, because the medal did not exist when I was on AD or in the Guard but it was a retroactive award. Supplied a copy of my PCS orders for both ends (I have *everything*) along with the 180 and it was a done deal.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.