how to get a crease in BDU pants

Started by CadetColonelToBe, July 18, 2012, 02:50:39 AM

CadetColonelToBe

I tried for an hour or two to get my pants creased yet when I put my uniform on for my meeting and I didn't  have creases. I ironed it with heavy duty starch and yet I STILL did not have creases in my uniform... can someone PLEASE help me?!?!?!?
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

Eclipse

You don't need creases in your BDU's.  Ironing is plenty, and some would suggest too much for a field uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

ZombieButter

Can't, unless you have lots of pressure... If I remember correctly 39-1 doesn't say to have creases, just a CAP thing... Since the pants aren't made to have creases it is best to just dry clean them.  :-\

AngelWings

Dry cleaners will do the trick. That's how it is done, unles you own a steamboard thingamijig that costs a ridiculous amount of money and is more used by people like the Old Guard.

CadetColonelToBe

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2012, 02:57:29 AM
You don't need creases in your BDU's.  Ironing is plenty, and some would suggest too much for a field uniform.
my squadron says we have to have creases in them...
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

JayT

Quote from: CadetColonielToBe on July 18, 2012, 02:50:39 AM
I tried for an hour or two to get my pants creased yet when I put my uniform on for my meeting and I didn't  have creases. I ironed it with heavy duty starch and yet I STILL did not have creases in my uniform... can someone PLEASE help me?!?!?!?

The material doesn't take creases well. WIWAC, I used heavy starch and a hot iron.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetColonielToBe on July 18, 2012, 03:11:31 AM

Is it in a written supplement?  Of not, its not really enforceable.

When I had creases,because I wanted too, I took them to the dry cleaners, and they put them in.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetColonelToBe

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 18, 2012, 03:16:42 AM

When I had creases,because I wanted too, I took them to the dry cleaners, and they put them in.
we get inspected and graded on whether or not you have creases in your uniform. They take our uniforms very seriously

SarDragon

Quote from: CadetColonielToBe on July 18, 2012, 03:30:03 AM

we get inspected and graded on whether or not you have creases in your uniform. They take our uniforms very too seriously

FTFY.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZombieButter

They take our uniforms very seriously
[/quote]

I'm glad! I just visited a nearby squadron where I am vacationing and their uniforms look like trash. Saw three officers wearing flight suits while everyone else wore BDUs. Still wondering if I should have told the commander how bad everyone looked.

SarDragon

Quote from: ZombieButter on July 18, 2012, 03:37:34 AM
QuoteThey take our uniforms very seriously

I'm glad! I just visited a nearby squadron where I am vacationing and their uniforms look like trash. Saw three officers wearing flight suits while everyone else wore BDUs. Still wondering if I should have told the commander how bad everyone looked.

Probably wouldn't have been a good idea.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: ZombieButter on July 18, 2012, 03:37:34 AMSaw three officers wearing flight suits while everyone else wore BDUs.

Were the members in BDUs not officers?

"That Others May Zoom"

ZombieButter

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2012, 03:44:51 AM
Quote from: ZombieButter on July 18, 2012, 03:37:34 AMSaw three officers wearing flight suits while everyone else wore BDUs.

Were the members in BDUs not officers?
Saw a few officers in BDUs.

AngelWings

Quote from: CadetColonielToBe on July 18, 2012, 03:30:03 AM

we get inspected and graded on whether or not you have creases in your uniform. They take our uniforms very seriously
Hang them on if they taught you how they do it. If they don't teach you, than well [darn], they can't hold you against it. Ironing is not like polishing, there isn't a lot of videos on how to iron sharp creases into BDU's.

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Garibaldi

I used to put creases on my BDU pants before I realized what a pain it is. It takes a lot of repeat ironing to get them to stay (I have a permacrease on my blues shirt sleeves!). I think that pressing the pockets down on the shirt and pants is good enough. While it may make you more conscious of how you look in uniform, it really is a waste of time because after standing and sitting and doing all the things you do at a meeting, the creases magically disappear. And whatever you do...if you live in a hot climate like the South...DON'T STARCH! Not only is starch not recommended, it also holds in heat, doesn't allow the fabric to breathe.

Also, quietly and non-confrontationally, ask someone like your flight sergeant if there's a WRITTEN supplement or directive stating that BDUs must be creased. CAPM doesn't specifically state that creases are allowed, so they may be correct.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

It's enforceable, if it causes someone to be held back for appearance "issues".

That said, it's still silly. If you really need it done, get the pants dry cleaned.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: ZombieButter on July 18, 2012, 03:37:34 AM
They take our uniforms very seriously

Oh no! Not FLIGHT SUITS!

Better not come to my AD unit! Most of the officers routinely wear flight suits while everyone else wears ABUs...

Seriously though, as long as all the uniforms were configured correctly, it may not look as 'uniform' if everyone isn't wear the same uniform but I would say it doesn't look 'bad.' Preference at least is that everyone be in the same level of uniform. Personal preference is that everyone is in the same class of uniform (BDU/Flight Suit, Field Uniform/Utility Uniform, or SS Blues no-tie, White Aviator)

(Though there are times I as CC was in Service Dress (down to blues) while folks were in BDUs because I came from giving a presentation on CAP to an outside organization and then scooted over to the meeting. Course...UOD for that day could easily have been declared Service dress for SQ/CC >:D)

The simple matter is that even on AD units don't always look uniform. Some more examples:
Blues Mondays - Everyone in blues. Except for crew members performing alert or giving/receiving a trainer ride
Other Days - Flight Suits, Except for those who prefer ABUs. Unless you have an awards breakfast or something then you may be in blues.
Missile Alert Facilities - ABUs, except when there is a VIP then the chef will be in Chef Whites, Crew usually in PJs unless there is a Mx Team or VIP downstairs with them. (Advantages to being behind an 8-ton blast door that only* opens from the inside), Off-Duty cops in whatever they want unless there is a VIP on site.

I have to agree a lot of times CAP folks spend waaaaaaaay too much time worrying about uniforms. There is a training reason for Cadets to all be in the same uniform. Seniors not as much. There is some professional image advantage to everyone else being in the same uniform. There are relationship advantage arguments made for everyone to be in Polo Shirt Uniform (blech) or a military-esque uniform (As applicable for preference/regulation)

Heck, I have even shown up to work, on a Monday in flight suit because I was on rotation so much I forgot it was Monday. I rolled out of bed, threw on a uniform and went to work. My flight/CC asked if I had a trainer ride. I said 'no' and that it had just slipped my mind. It was the first time I had done that so he just sorta shrugged and said 'Alright, don't worry about it this time.' There were more important things for me to do (like my job) than running home to change and come back in blues. On the flip side my unit/CC once responded to a similar incident by telling the officer 'Alright, no problem. Pick a day this week, you can wear blues on that day instead' And gave one of his characteristic grins.

The point is this: Wear your uniform properly. Wear it proudly. Everything else is gravy. Some folks make the argument that if you look super highspeed people will think of you that way. I look at someone with a super nice uniform and based on my experience they get about a 10 second (well that looks nice) which will last only as long they don't say/do something foolish. A properly fitted, serviceable uniform doesn't look bad next to a super-high-speed one. Just means they focus their effort elsewhere, or not. And their behavior determines my reaction from there.

ZombieButter

I think their main reason for wearing flight suits is to look cool. They had no real reason for wearing them, it isnt functional.

Eclipse

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on July 18, 2012, 03:58:28 PM
Better not come to my AD unit! Most of the officers routinely wear flight suits while everyone else wears ABUs...

The flight suit is a prescribed daily work uniform for a lot of active and reservists.  It is not in CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"