Main Menu

SM Rank

Started by Rachel F, July 01, 2012, 03:08:49 AM

Rachel F

I joined CAP officially in early June and completed Level I, and have earned the membership ribbon.

I am 18 years old so right now I am classified as SMWOG. I am pretty new, and I have been at events with cadets from around the New England area, and my unit commander has had to remind cadets several times that I am a senior member. However, instead of being addressed as Senior Member Fairfield or simply as Ma'am or Miss, the unit commander has instructed cadets to address me as a Flight Officer, even though I don't think I am eligible for promotion until September. I have completed all the requirements for FO promotion but there is a 3-month time-in-grade requirement for promotion.

Thoughts?

Eclipse

The proper term of address for you today is "Senior Member", or "Ma'am".  Referring to you as "Flight Officer" is not correct by the letter of the reg, but not exactly a big deal in the Grande Scheme®.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

What Eclipse said. To throw in my own 2 Kopeek, since the period is so short between SM and FO, it may have been done to not confuse the cadets. Of course the proper term most used will still be Ma'am.

BuckeyeDEJ

For a slick-sleeved senior member, "Mister," "Miss" or "Mrs." is fine. That's how we'd address flight officers (you don't address someone as "Flight Officer Smith"). Difference is, you have no grade whatsoever. "Senior member" isn't a grade; it's a membership type. Of course, that will change.

Again, Eclipse and I disagree. What a surprise.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 01, 2012, 06:48:47 AMyou don't address someone as "Flight Officer Smith".

CAPP151, Page 16 disagrees with you as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rachel F

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2012, 02:58:08 PM

Yeah, I was told that FO, TFO, and SFO can still be addressed by their rank.

Here's another question: I was told that only Senior Members ranked 2Lt and higher demand a salute by cadets, and that any Flight Officer rank does not need to be saluted by cadets. True or false?

ßτε

Quote from: Rachel F on July 01, 2012, 06:22:18 PM

Here's another question: I was told that only Senior Members ranked 2Lt and higher demand a salute by cadets, and that any Flight Officer rank does not need to be saluted by cadets. True or false?
False. Flight officers are afforded the same C&C as 2nd Lt and higher.

Eclipse

It sounds like you have some leaders with a misunderstanding of the program.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Rachel F on July 01, 2012, 06:22:18 PM

Flight Officer. The grade earns a salute.

EMT-83

Sir or Ma'am is never an inappropriate greeting, regardless of grade.

It's simple common courtesy, just like you were taught as a child.

exFlight Officer

Rachel F, being a Flight Officer is an interesting "in between" for Cadets and Seniors. Be preared to be called a cadet by a few unkowing members and to be asked questions of "what the heck are you?" kinda thing.  Are you in a leadership position within the squadron?

Tip: Keep track of all professional development and time in grade while being a Flight Officer. National does not keep track of this for you, sadly. Keeping a personnel record for you is not just the squadron's responsibility. From your original post, sounds like you are on the ball with professional development. Good luck.

PM me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Rachel F

Yes, I recently staffed an airshow and a bunch of cadets called me by my last name, and a few even called me "Cadet". I had to correct them, but fortunately all of the adults knew that I was a senior member. Even my own squadron's C/Capt called me by my last name before getting a reminder from the Unit Commander that I am a Senior Member.

I am a little confused. If the Unit Commander introduces me as a Flight Officer should I be wearing the FO insignia?

Eclipse

Your unit CC is doing that as a matter of his convenience, but until you are properly promoted to that grade, no, you should not wear it.

Why not just correct him and move on?

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Flight Officer on July 01, 2012, 08:25:47 PM
Rachel F, being a Flight Officer is an interesting "in between" for Cadets and Seniors.

Actually...it's not between.  Flight Officers are Senior Members who are senior to SMWOG but Junior to 2dLt and above in the manner where customs and courtesies involved.  Some FO's might actually be in appointed positions that oversee "Senior" Officers

Eclipse

Correct - there is no categorical distinction between an 18 year old FO and a 50 year old Lt Col.

Both are "Senior Members", and there is no duty or posting which is prohibited from the 18 year old.
The could be unit, group, or wing CC's, encampment CC's, mission pilots, the works.

"That Others May Zoom"

AdAstra

One exception: Test Control Officers and Test Administrators must be at least 21 years old. Ref: CAPR50-4, para 1-2 and 1-3.

No idea why.
Charles Wiest

lordmonar

And you must be 21 to drive some CAP vehicles....and with cadet pax.

The FO is definatly a "gray" area that exists between cadets and seniors......yes, yes, yes...they are all seniors....but if NHQ really cared about them....they would track their promotions.  8)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

True enough on the above.  Apparently there's more risk to driving a vehicle than being a wing cc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Camas

Quote from: Rachel F on July 01, 2012, 10:42:17 PM
Yes, I recently staffed an airshow and a bunch of cadets called me by my last name, and a few even called me "Cadet". I had to correct them, but fortunately all of the adults knew that I was a senior member. Even my own squadron's C/Capt called me by my last name before getting a reminder from the Unit Commander that I am a Senior Member.
It's unfortunate that this happened; your commander and others such as the unit leadership officer and/or the deputy commander for cadets should ensure that, as part of normal leadership training, cadets can identify all senior members and flight officers. At the risk of turning this into a uniform forum may I assume you're wearing an appropriate uniform so that you can be easily identified as a senior member?
I am a little confused. If the Unit Commander introduces me as a Flight Officer should I be wearing the FO insignia?
Nope - wait the three months; it goes by quickly!
Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2012, 10:47:16 PM
Your unit CC is doing that as a matter of his convenience, but until you are properly promoted to that grade, no, you should not wear it.
True enough!

As a side note there are at least one or two longtime members here in Captalk who are either current or former residents of your fine state. I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you here on these forums. Welcome aboard!

TCMajor

All,

It was a matter of convenience at an event with well over 200 cadets in attendance, that needed to be resolved immediately.  Eclipse,  I am well aware of the program and how it works.  I take very good care of the people in my unit.  If Miss Fairfield came away confused I accept full responsibility for being expedient in a situation that called for immediate corrective action.  These questions were all addressed after the Airshow with my staff.   Miss Fairfield has been fully briefed on what she needs to do and when by the unit Deputy for Seniors and Professional Development officer.

Lastly, Camas,  my staff and I are perfectly capable of handling any question Miss Fairfield, or any of my members should have about CAP and if not, we know where to turn in our Wing.  I have no problem referring people to subject matter experts, but I have little tolerance for supposed experts who wander into my unit offering advice to my folks uninvited.

Thank you
Major Kevin N. Harbison, CAP
Major, USA (RET)
Commander
Greater Nashua Composite Squadron