Wouxun Model KG-UV6D Portable Radio, Potential CAP Personal Radio Use?

Started by RADIOMAN015, June 02, 2012, 09:23:17 PM

RADIOMAN015

See the website:
http://www.cheapham.com/wouxun-kg-uv6d-commercial-dual-band-ht-with-2-5k-step/

$165.00 for a dual band VHF/UHF radio that is compliant with FCC Part 90, narrow band utilization.

Apparently USCG Auxiliary has information out that the if a radio is FCC type accepted for part 90, than it is authorized by NTIA for use on federal government narrow band frequencies.

See:
http://cgaux11s05.org/Members/TCO-Radio-Procedures-071811.pdf   

RM

Major Lord

The approval of NTIA and FCC part 90 are entirely different animals. Generally, any LMR radio will be Part 90 approved ( it should be, especially if it was legally imported) NTIA approval is a separate process, and a radio that could not meet Part 90 requirement would never reach the far more exacting standards of NTIA compliance. The Wouxun radio could never meet the NTIA narrow band specification. Its a ham radio that just barely squeaks by Part 90 approval, which allows the manufacturer to export them without having to open the dealers importing and selling them to fine and imprisonment.  Its receiver section is just not tight enough, but as a cheap part 90 radio, its not a bad buy.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

denverpilot

The "user interface" is also awful.

Any radio you have to go dig out the manual to figure out how to stop it from speaking frequencies in Chinese...

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Lord

I don't know Radio Man, so I took his post to mean that our squidly cousins had inferred that USC, Title 47, Part 90 confers operating privileges in NTIA regulated territory, not that he personally endorsed that proposition. If the Coasties take that position, they are wrong. Its important to remember though, that for most misuse of radios, the legal controlling authority for Federal Enforcement ( i.e, the guys with guns) is still FCC. To the best of my knowledge, NTIA does not have a jack-booted thug, er, enforcement branch. Yet.

Major Lord

RogueLeader

If it were not for the fact of he claimed it of potential cap use, one would check if it is useful to use.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Major Lord on June 03, 2012, 09:33:05 PM
I don't know Radio Man, so I took his post to mean that our squidly cousins had inferred that USC, Title 47, Part 90 confers operating privileges in NTIA regulated territory, not that he personally endorsed that proposition. If the Coasties take that position, they are wrong. Its important to remember though, that for most misuse of radios, the legal controlling authority for Federal Enforcement ( i.e, the guys with guns) is still FCC. To the best of my knowledge, NTIA does not have a jack-booted thug, er, enforcement branch. Yet.

Major Lord
Correct, the USCG Aux frequencies (except VHF marine band) are also NTIA managed, so this was a surprise to me when I did a google search (and confirmed with more than one district having the same policy).

Interestingly even Wouxun's ham radio models appear to have the required transmitter stability (my wing DC asked National), the problem is as you state on the receiver specifications. (I haven't seen the overall specifications on this new part 90 certified model).   This might be problematic in areas that have a high utilization of military VHF radio nets in the same bands as CAP.   BTW  CAP can't buy VHF radios with our (AF funds) anymore unless the equipment is  NFM/P25 CAI modulation as well as DES encryption capable per DOD policy.
RM   

SarDragon

If you dig through the rules and regs far enough, you will find that the umbrella agency for radios, radars, etc. is the NTIA, NOT the FCC. The FCC has been ceded control of the non-government users.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

if not for the P25 requirement I am a big fan of the Kenwood TM-271A which is the same radio as their TK 7360.  As far as analog operation, you can't go wrong.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Major Lord

Well, since I have a half dozen Icom F30 G's and GS's, I guess its going to be awhile before I go shopping for a new CAP radio! I would really like a Thales....

Major Lord