Civilian Population Confusion with CAP Members Wear of Military Field Uniforms

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 26, 2012, 07:07:24 PM

FlyTiger77

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 27, 2012, 08:32:30 PM
(but of course there's some that just relish in the chance of being thought they are "real" military anyways  :o :o  ;) )
RM           

Yup. That's me. Oh, wait....nevermind, you wouldn't believe me if I told you.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bflynn

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 26, 2012, 07:57:07 PM
Just because we have CAP written all over our uniforms, doesn't mean that people won't let their assumptions override their literacy.

Quote from: lordmonar on May 26, 2012, 08:04:54 PM
You can't fix stupid....so don't bother.

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 27, 2012, 11:08:10 AM
Why not just require a vest that states: "WE ARE NOT THE MILITARY"

What I suspect is that, as difficult as it is to believe, most other civilians don't know that Civil Air Patrol exists or what we do.  What they do know is that there is an Army Corp of Engineers who wears uniforms and does ... something.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't assign illiteracy to someone simply because they don't recognize CAP when they see us.  Nor would I think they're stupid or that sarcasm helps.

When approached, courtesy and politness goes a long way toward making the first contact with someone positive, rather than somethign else.

Dad2-4

It's definitely that a lot, if not most, people haven't a clue about uniforms.
I was out with a group of 6 young cadets, ages 12-14, doing some UDF training and we were mistaken for AD and thanked for our service.
I was at a non-Scouting event at a state park in my Scouter uniform, which is ALWAYS worn correctly, where lots of Boy Scouts were helping out and was asked by at least 3 people if I was a park Ranger.
People just don't know and don't bother to learn.

Al Sayre

Quote from: Pylon on May 27, 2012, 10:02:40 PM
Everyone could wear field uniforms distinctive from anything any military branch, police force, or other organization has ever worn along with giant, reflective "CAP" lettering across the back and chest and people would still mistake us for something else.  It's not a distinctiveness issue.  A lot of the general population just has no interest in or knowledge of government agencies, military services, and various organizations' uniforms out there.  And sometimes people just don't bother to read.

I've been wearing Marine Corps uniforms, as distinctive as they are, and still been called "soldier", "Army guy" and even asked by a guy "What branch of the military are you?" and by some lady "Wait, are you in the real military?"  And the Marines do a lot more advertising and branding than CAP does.  Heck, most of our uniforms haven't even changed since WWII.

So in this instance it's not at all a distinctiveness issue, it's not a failure to do proper public awareness or branding.  Being mistaken for something else is going to occassionally happen no matter what we do or what we wear.

Way back in the dark ages when the Navy wore the "Johnny Cash" uniform, I was stationed in Italy.  We were frequently mistaken for Carabineri (Italian Federal Police) when we wore our uniforms out in town, even with our squid lids (they wear a uniform that is eerily similar to a German gestapo uniform) ...  People see what they want to see, or simply don't care enough to notice the differences.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

fyrfitrmedic

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on May 27, 2012, 11:20:00 PM

Simple solution: ban the troll.

Not fair!  I don't agree with some of his opinions but I don't mind him sharing them.  He does cause discussion and some good points result.   

PHall

Quote from: 754837 on May 27, 2012, 11:26:55 PM

Not fair!  I don't agree with some of his opinions but I don't mind him sharing them.  He does cause discussion and some good points result.

You seem to be his only friend, so how about we ban you too?

Quote from: PHall on May 28, 2012, 12:21:47 AM

Sure - ban everyone that has an opinion contrary to yours.

You might read the Bill of Rights. 

lordmonar

Quote from: 754837 on May 28, 2012, 12:47:04 AM

Good thing that CT is not the government...... ;D  You might remember that as well.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: 754837 on May 28, 2012, 12:47:04 AM

I guess you don't watch a lot of news or read the papers.  There is censorship there on a major level a lot more than here on CT, and the bill of rights is subject to interpretation by the courts. 

JayT

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 26, 2012, 07:07:24 PM
Interestingly, during a recent practice mission we had a team (all in BDU's) performing a mission tasking, when a civilian approached a team member and asked what they were doing.  Apparently thought (and specifically stated to)  the team was the US Army Corps of Engineers checking out that mission's fixed objective.

Now I know all the members on that team had the appropriate correct BDU uniform (with CAP blue/white, etc) and the specific member the civilian approached also has the CAP Emergency Services patch http://www.vanguardmil.com/emergency-services-patch-round-p-7110.html displayed.  Perhaps it is possible that the orange safety vest might have covered the CAP tape and the ES patch ??? :-\

I think what happens with many civilians is that they see the uniform BUT don't really pay attention to any distinctive markings on the uniform.   Maybe all safety vests need to have Civil Air Patrol distinctively displayed on both the front and back, perhaps just the Emergency Services Patch as above would be the easiest to put on the vests ???.   Perhaps  all headgear needs to have Civil Air Patrol (with no rank) also on it as adding to "distinctiveness" ??? :-\

I wonder if they all were wearing Blue BDU's what the civilian would have assumed as far as organizational affiliation  ???

Have we done all we can to ensure our "distinctiveness" as CIVIL AIR PATROL, the official civilian Auxiliary of the United States Air Force, especially on field uniform wear ??? :-\     How will our future branding strategy affect uniforms, if at all ??? :-\   

RM

Why do you often ask questions, then ignore responses that answer your question in a way that you don't agree with?

You know, I wear a blue BDU style uniform at two of my paramedic jobs. I don't want CAP to wear something that I wear! I'm a paramedic! How is CAP going to ensure that they're not mistaken for a paramedic? Actually, I don't want any of the special police units to wear blue BDU's either. They might not be paramedics. In fact, maybe they shouldn't even wear a uniform the same cut as mine, even if it's a different color.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

lordmonar

You....I just had a thought......CAP is an older organisation then the USAF, most Paramedic orgs, and most police departments.

ERGO.........all you guys get out of OUR uniforms....we were here first!  And we want you to stop confusing the public by wearing clothing too close to ours!

>:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: lordmonar on May 28, 2012, 01:10:55 AM
You....I just had a thought......CAP is an older organisation then the USAF, most Paramedic orgs, and most police departments.

ERGO.........all you guys get out of OUR uniforms....we were here first!  And we want you to stop confusing the public by wearing clothing too close to ours!

Ok you owe me a new laptop after my tea just went over it lol...

AngelWings

He is entitled to his opinion and it would be immoral to ban him or anyone, based over their opinion. I sat infront of him at a wing wing conference at a recruiting and retention seminar, and while I disagree with his opinions and think what he says makes him look stupider than he really is, he is 100% entitled to speak his mind. I have heard many great things about him, and he does contribute to CAP in a positive manner. What he needs to do is to try not to be provocative in his post and refraim from calling people wannabe's.

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 28, 2012, 01:13:14 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 28, 2012, 01:10:55 AM

Ok you owe me a new laptop after my tea just went over it lol...
He owes me a new one too due to the fact my face just broke the keyboard doubling over in laughter.

Major Carrales

Again...be more proud of what WE are then ASHAMED of who WE are not.

We wear CAP uniforms...plain and simple.

What John Q. Public mistakes us for is none of our affair, our is only to represent well the Civil Air Patrol and our missions well while wearing our uniforms.  Worrying about things we cannot control or fixing our actions and policy on "what some old lady at Dairy Queen" thought about a group of cadets ordering burgers is counter productive and puts the cart before the horse.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

abdsp51

Speaking one's mind and flat out calling people wanna bees and posing conspiracy theories are something different.  I am often confused for being in the Army when I am in the AF while I am thanked for service etc.  I smile at them tell them thank you for recognizing the service and press on. 

Confusion happens especially with organizations who wear uniforms, it does no good to modify anything and everything because the public is unaware. 

bflynn

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it.  I'll so the same for his right to say it.

I'm a little early - Happy Memorial Day everyone.  To ALL the veterans here, Thank You for your service.

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on May 28, 2012, 02:04:44 AM

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it.  I'll so the same for his right to say it.

The First Amendment does not apply, so defending it to the death would seem foolhardy.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: bflynn on May 28, 2012, 02:04:44 AM
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it.

Easy to say, but a pretty high standard to attain.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP