Main Menu

Photo ID & NIMS

Started by DNall, February 06, 2007, 01:16:04 AM

SAR-EMT1

Its already been suggested and National shot it down before the AF had a chance.  ::) Granted I wasnt a member yet, but I heard from several SMs that it was reviewed mid 90's
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

I was a member then & not that I know of. Anyway back then we had the old laminated togetehr IDs that looked kinda like mil IDs. None of this smart card stuff or centrally issued cards. Where the tech is now & how inexpensive it is to put some of this together, it's a whole new thing.

sardak

Many HSPD-12 cards (FIPS-201) fail their first test
By Jason Miller, GCN Staff, 2/19/07

A majority of the identification cards agencies issued to meet Homeland Security Presidential Directive-12 fell short of complying with the federal standard and must be retested.

Industry and government officials confirmed that most cards issued in October had an assortment of problems—some of them major, such as a lack of interoperability, and some minor, such as using the wrong shade of blue on the card.

"There were over 100 tests the General Services Administration performed, but the most important one was for basic interoperability," said one department official close to the HSPD-12 process, who requested anonymity. "We knew we wouldn't pass because we have our own testing tool and we were having specific issues [other than interoperability]. But we didn't necessarily fail because, to me, [failing] means they weren't interoperable, and they were."

The official said many of that agency's problems were due to not meeting the standard's "persnickety" requirements.

http://www.gcn.com/print/26_04/43162-1.html?topic=homeland-security&CMP=OTC-RSS

Mike