Solo at Flight Academy

Started by Cjthom1728, April 04, 2012, 06:31:55 PM

Cjthom1728

Is it possible to solo only attending one Flight Academy, or would I need to wait until a second flight academy to solo? Thank you for your answers.
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

lordmonar

In theory you can solo....but it mostly depends of your ability, the availablity of the aircraft, weather, class size, etc.  Flight Academy is supposed to be a starting point for getting your licenses.....you should continue your training when you get home (ask your squadron commander about scholorships)...because if you wait a year to continue your training....well by then you will be almost back to square one with all the newbys
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sparks

As mentioned above, it is possible to solo but...... NHQ has limitations on allowing a glider solo flight at the first flight encampment. A waiver might be possible, it depends on the circumstances. A powered solo isn't limited by NHQ. Your instructor will determine if you have the motor skills and knowledge to solo. Knowledge and skills must be honed within the limited flight time and alotted days (usually 6) of the flight encampment. You may run out of time because of bad weather, broken airplanes etc.

Good luck

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Cjthom1728 on April 04, 2012, 06:31:55 PM
Is it possible to solo only attending one Flight Academy, or would I need to wait until a second flight academy to solo? Thank you for your answers.

Don't count on it
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Cjthom1728

Basically its a slim chance? If so, how do I improve chances of being able to solo?

P.S I am talking specifically about powered academies
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Cjthom1728 on April 05, 2012, 02:41:45 AM
Basically its a slim chance? If so, how do I improve chances of being able to solo?

P.S I am talking specifically about powered academies
Hope the moons align in your favor.

Study your syllabus
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Silent Panther

Quote from: sparks on April 04, 2012, 08:01:46 PM
As mentioned above, it is possible to solo but...... NHQ has limitations on allowing a glider solo flight at the first flight encampment. A waiver might be possible, it depends on the circumstances. A powered solo isn't limited by NHQ. Your instructor will determine if you have the motor skills and knowledge to solo. Knowledge and skills must be honed within the limited flight time and alotted days (usually 6) of the flight encampment. You may run out of time because of bad weather, broken airplanes etc.

Good luck

The NCR Powered Flight Academy has had a 100% solo rate under the current activity commander, Col Plum. The academy is 2 weeks long. Here is the academy's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Flight-Academy-Power-Track-North-Central-Region/366110804296

Happy Flying.
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

helper

Based on personal experience, yes, it's possible. BUT, there are no promises, no guarantees, and too many variables.

I did at both NFA's. My son did at both but he had to attend NFA-G twice because the current regs limit a cadet to pre-solo at their first NFA-G unless given a waiver.

By the way, the cadet o-flights can be useful preparation.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

Darkside1

If nothing has changed from when I attended, then your chance isn't exactly slim. If I recall, roughly half of the Cadets that went with me managed to solo. So there were obviously quite a few that diden't make it as well.

What separates the people that made it and who didn't? Lots of stuff. It was generally held that some instructors operated at a slower pace which if you asked they're trainees "held them back". I'm not sure if I buy that entirely, but there was a case of someone transferring instructors mid way and suddenly progressing much faster. Sometimes you just fit better with some people than you do others I guess.

Other than that, I know I personally worked my butt off to solo and I was one of the last ones to do it. You see some Cadets chilling at the dorms enjoying their down time and bonding. You see other Cadets "chair flying" (going through the procedures on the ground) with just about every spare moment they had. I saw people from both Categories manage to solo.

Personally I needed to work at it to get it done and there was plenty of moments where it didn't look like it was going to happen. You're not going to know how your going to react to the training until you get there. So don't worry about it. Resolve to do your best and that is all you can do.

SAR-EMT1

Depends on where you are too. Around these parts flight encampments are 10 days or less. Cadets are restricted to pre-solo.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student