National Diversity Officer - Volunteer Wanted.

Started by exFlight Officer, January 05, 2012, 04:56:57 PM

exFlight Officer

Checking the National website today I found this about a new National Staff position.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/national_staff_position.cfm

Interesting new duty position.  I would be interested to know how this duty position came about.

a2capt

"Diversity Committee Travel $ 1,097,500"

Remember that line item from the BoG June minutes?

Someone's gotta blow that wad ;)

seacoastSM

I have belonged to CAP for about a year.  I have never posted to this board but this bit of news just kills me.  Wouldn't this money be much spent in Cadet Activities nationally?  Which would drive membership nationally?  Which would probably help our "diversity" in the long run?

Flying Pig

Oh .....another reason to not rejoin.  Really?  The budget for this is over $1,000,000.00? ( I like writing it out)

Ned

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 05, 2012, 06:34:59 PM
Oh .....another reason to not rejoin.  Really?  The budget for this is over $1,000,000.00? ( I like writing it out)

Folks,

As we discussed in another thread or two, the Diversity Committee budget request was not approved.  Obviously we do not have an extra million dollars to spend on any new initiatives, however worthy.

Indeed, even the members of the Diversity Committee did not expect it to be approved, as they intend to seek outside donations in cash or in kind to meet their transportation needs.  The amount requested represented their good faith estimate of the amount they needed to accomplish the tasking given to them by the NB.

Remember, the request was not approved and not funded.

Those of you that are concerned about costs to the membership should feel re-assured that the Diversity Officer will be a volunteer position, and not a paid consultant or paid member of the NHQ staff.  This is an important initiative that will be able to capitalize on the skills and abilities of our volunteers in developing recommendations for actions that can improve CAP by expanding our membership base and increasing our services.

Ned Lee

NCRblues

As an all volunteer organization, are we not just wasting our time on this "diversity" stuff?

We can not help who shows up to help out. White, Black, Mexican, Spanish, Jewish, Catholic..... I don't care who shows up as long as they do a good job.

"I'm sorry Bob, we can't accept your application this week, we have to meet our quota of minorities"

I guess I am just not sold on the idea...but oh well I don't call the shots.....yet.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

EMT-83

What do quotas have to do with diversity?

Ned, if you insist on coming here and pointing out that the NB isn't comprised of a bunch of fools, someone will have to talk Mike about your CT status.

RogueLeader

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 05, 2012, 08:05:33 PM

Ned, if you insist on coming here and pointing out that the NB isn’t comprised of a bunch of fools, someone will have to talk Mike about your CT status.

NCRBlues is the only one that mentioned quotas, not Ned.

Edit to fix quote.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PA Guy

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 05, 2012, 08:05:33 PM

Ned, if you insist on coming here and pointing out that the NB isn't comprised of a bunch of fools, someone will have to talk Mike about your CT status.

I don't think Ned said anything about quotas.  Your comment was uncalled for.

FW

Quotas are not what diversity is about.  Improving the program so, all who are attracted to CAP can activly participate and enjoy the benefits of membership is. 
The problem we have is figuring out how we can accomplish this without comprimising our assigned missions.  As Gen Carr said; "We are not a social club".

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on January 05, 2012, 09:01:34 PM
Quotas are not what diversity is about. 
You can forgive those of us from the corporate world a bit of a "Yeah, right" attitude about that.  While never the "intent" of the program, diversity programs almost inevitably end up with hard or soft quotas as an end result.

NCRblues

Ned did not say anything about quotas. I did, because I am not sold on the idea of the NEED for "diversity" anything in CAP. Even when you read the job description it is vague at best.

Like the above post said, when I see "diversity" I read "eventual quota" or "more hoops to jump through".

RogueLeader

Quotas are not what diversity is about.  Improving the program so, all who are attracted to CAP can activly participate and enjoy the benefits of membership is. 
The problem we have is figuring out how we can accomplish this without comprimising our assigned missions.  As Gen Carr said; "We are not a social club".

Sir, what is it about our program that certain ethnic groups can not participate fully, and enjoy the full benefits?

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ned

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 05, 2012, 09:32:35 PM
Sir, what is it about our program that certain ethnic groups can not participate fully, and enjoy the full benefits?

Exactly!   I don't think I could have put it better myself.

One need only look around and get the feeling that CAP is not the most diverse organization in the USA.

So a diversity initiative is all about asking exactly the question you posed.  Hopefully, we can find out the answers and see if we can make some adjustments.

Thanks again for putting it so well.

RiverAux

CAP's program has been pretty consistent for 70 years and at least for the last several decades has been fully open to anyone interested in joining.  If our program doesn't appeal to certain groups it is unlikely that a few minor tweeks in the recruiting process or overall program are going to make any significant difference because the basic program remains the same. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: Ned on January 05, 2012, 09:43:42 PM

Exactly!   I don't think I could have put it better myself.

One need only look around and get the feeling that CAP is not the most diverse organization in the USA.

So a diversity initiative is all about asking exactly the question you posed.  Hopefully, we can find out the answers and see if we can make some adjustments.

Thanks again for putting it so well.

That is assuming that there are groups that can't. I would have to have evidence that some can't. In my relatively limited time, (7.5 years) and 4 wings; that is not the case. YMMV.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

FW

Quote from: JeffDG on January 05, 2012, 09:10:15 PM
Quotas are not what diversity is about. 
You can forgive those of us from the corporate world a bit of a "Yeah, right" attitude about that.  While never the "intent" of the program, diversity programs almost inevitably end up with hard or soft quotas as an end result.

Probably true however, the intent of a "diversity program", IMO, is to create an environment which is welcoming to all who have a desire to join.  To some extent, I think we already do a great job however, there is more we can do.  For example; extending/improving our ACES Program, School Programs and, cadet programs (programmes for you Jeff) would do much in attracting members outside of our "usual circles".   Partnering with a broader range of aviation groups would also lend to a more diverse membership.  To me, diversity means a strong organization; not "who's on first". 

IMHO, nothing in CAP is an impediment for anyone.  Of course, I'm kind of prejudiced..... :angel:

Ned

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 05, 2012, 10:11:37 PM
[That is assuming that there are groups that can't.

Well, if you do not think that there are groups that "can't", surely you would agree that there are some groups that "don't."  (It bears repeating that our demographics do not tend to reflect America as a whole.)

Does it make sense to take a look to see if we have inadvertantly placed barriers or disincentives that may discourage full participation by everyone?

Duke Dillio

Actually, I think that the membership dues and associated costs are the biggest reason why we are missing out on people.  Some people just can't afford to put money into something that some call a "kid's game..."

BTW, that was my mother's quote when she was trying to tell me that I needed to get away from CAP.....

NCRblues

We do not have a "diversity" problem. We have a cost problem.

Is it shocking that inner city kids do not flock to CAP? I should hope not.... eating Vs. CAP...... eating wins every time....

Is it shocking that poor rural area kids do not flock to CAP? Not to me.... helping out on the family farm Vs. CAP.... farm and family win every time....

Anything short of 100% of cost for EVERYTHING "cap" covered will not fix it. That will never ever happen, so why bother poking a stick at it?

We all know the problems, and we do our best to help out the ones that want to play, but can't afford too. I personally have just under a 1k invested in cap this year alone so far (yup in the 5 days since the year changed). I spend that because I can, others can't spend anything. A "diversity" committee is just going to remind us that we have "working poor" in this country....