Its not just CAP who gets the fakers...

Started by NIN, December 28, 2011, 06:45:48 PM

AngelWings

Quote from: spacecommand on December 28, 2011, 09:54:35 PM
Just curious from the title, how many faker's does CAP get?  Not many wanting to go around faking being "Civil Air Patrol" (though maybe some maybe do exist).  Or how many fakers have tried to join CAP?

A cursory glance of these websites that are exposing these fakers, from "fake marine" to "fake generals" the vast majority of the fakers out there tend to want to fake being in the Army or Marines (there are Navy fakers, CG fakers and AF fakers as well), but the Army and Marines tend to get the most.

This guy tops my list of being super obviously fake (AF Faker):
http://thisainthell.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/photo-2.jpg
You do know, with all of those ribbons, badges, and medals, he deserves to be promoted to CMSAF. He could save the entire universe. It is said all of those ribbons prove to be bullet proof, so his left chest is definately well protected.

Flying Pig

Heck...

When I was in the Army Reserves (yes...I was for 4 years.  We all have lapses in judgement)  I had a MSgt E-8 in my unit who wore a SEAL Trident. He had worn it for years.  All it took was one real SEAL to confront him and his 20+ year lie came crashing down around him.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAP_Marine

Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2011, 05:36:44 PM
There was just an article on something like recently.

Even the Army get's fakers.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/army-crump-sentenced-to-six-months-030911/

Holy crap. A Command Sergeant Major at that! You would think he would be happy to just let his chevrons and hash marks speak for themselves at that point.

Duke Dillio

That'll make two....  There was a CSM at Ft. Hood that got busted for posing as a Vietnam POW.  Then, there was a major in I think NV who got busted for wearing unauthorized awards....  The list goes on and on and on...

Flying Pig

Quote from: CAP_Marine on December 29, 2011, 06:09:04 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2011, 05:36:44 PM
There was just an article on something like recently.

Even the Army get's fakers.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/army-crump-sentenced-to-six-months-030911/

Holy crap. A Command Sergeant Major at that! You would think he would be happy to just let his chevrons and hash marks speak for themselves at that point.

Well, the only problem is, it was his fraud that led to his promotions and assignments.  Unlike the Marines, in the Army you get points for badges and certain medals...hence.....those fradulent medals and badges helped him get there

NIN

We do tend to get fakers in CAP (and the USAC, and I bet the NSCC, too) for a LOT of reasons

And by fakers I mean "people who say they are one thing when they are really something else" or who deliberately misrepresent themselves to gain advancement in the organization.

I met a CAP officer once, he was a Major.  Older gent, a retired USAFR E-9.  He'd also had retired from the Senior Executive Service at the State Department in his civilian life.   Was not qualified for the Red Service Ribbon when I met him, yet he was a Major.

He was an odd duck, not a bad guy overall, but not well versed in CAP stuff considering his advanced grade.  He'd been advanced quickly due to his USAF senior NCO background and his standing with the State Department (which he liked to repeat, repeatedly, to everybody about his experience in the "senior executive service with the State Department," and repeating himself liberally.  Do I need to repeat that?). I think he was made a governmental affairs officer to get him that advanced rank quickly.

Even his USAF knowledge was, well, odd, somewhat dated, and did not reflect what I thought an E-9's "worldview" about the USAF really would be. When inconsistencies in his USAF narrative popped up, he attributed them to the fact that he was in intelligence.... (the ellipsis there is intentional, as that was the way he'd say it: "Well, you know, when I was the Air Force I worked in intelligence...." and leave the listener to draw his or her own inferences about his level of sneaky-pete-ness.  He wouldn't say "I did classified stuff.." or "I can't talk about what I did.." but he'd just lay it out there and let it percolate)

I finally saw his resume one day, and while it did reflect his USAFR service ("Intelligence") , his State Department creds were considerably less expansive than "Senior Executive Service." He'd worked for a bunch of senior executive service types, and his resume said he'd been "Selected for Senior Executive Service training" (emphasis mine), but wasn't actually IN the Senior Executive Service of the State Department.

But based on his fairly inflated claims of executive experience for the USG, he was made a wing commander 5 or 6 months short of having 2 years in CAP. Kind of makes you go "Hmmmmm"....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

BTW, this goes back to some pretty core-value kinds of things for me, and makes me cautious about people when their story doesn't match their facts.

Sometimes, there is a good reason  (my understanding of the facts are poor) or there is not (their story is poor).  But then I have to ask "Why?"

Why lie to get into a volunteer organization?  The great pay?  The adulation and adoration of thousands of cheering citizens?  The perks?

I'm immediately distrustful of people who have seriously inconsistent stories and they want to work with cadets.  Call me paranoid, but if you're willing to lie about your background/accomplishments, whats to stop you from lying about other things?  Cadet Protection?  Finance?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Lieutenant Colonel Ninness' story brings to mind a big reason I have a problem with CAP handing out railway tracks and butterballs to people off the street who don't know the first thing about CAP.

I certainly don't want to disrespect the AFRES E-9 he mentioned, but what I have an even bigger problem with is handing out advanced grade to people on the basis of civilian qualifications who don't know bog-all about CAP and don't really want to learn.  Even legal, medical/nursing and padres have to go through a military orientation course before they get their bars and leaves pinned on.  I've known too many of these who get CAP rank and even promoted without ever having to have anything like SLS, CLC, RSC, etc.

We did have a chaplain in one of my units who was just the opposite.  He was a Presbyterian minister working on a D.Min. (I think) who also decided to train and qualify for GT and as an Observer.  Great, great guy.

I think that any uniformed organisation is going to attract its share of poseurs, unfortunately.  I've heard of SDF's having to turf members for presenting qualifications for advanced rank/grade that were bogus.  I remember an SDF trying to recruit me around the same time I first joined CAP that said they'd grant me W-1 just because I had a two-year degree and did a technical job.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

titanII

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 29, 2011, 04:48:53 PM
I had a MSgt E-8 in my unit who wore a SEAL Trident. He had worn it for years.  All it took was one real SEAL to confront him and his 20+ year lie came crashing down around him.
Man, I would not want to be the guy that got caught posing as a SEAL, by a SEAL  >:D

Quote from: CyBorg on December 29, 2011, 09:04:35 PM
Even legal, medical/nursing and padres have to go through a military orientation course before they get their bars and leaves pinned on
And even they aren't always the best prepared for military life... A man I know used to be a dentist in the Navy. Once he got commissioned, he went to the uniform store and bought a cover with all the (wrong) scrambled eggs and such. He didn't know better, he just that it looked good...
Needless to say, he got chewed out quite a bit  ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: titanII on December 30, 2011, 12:17:23 AM
A man I know used to be a dentist in the Navy. Once he got commissioned, he went to the uniform store and bought a cover with all the (wrong) scrambled eggs and such. He didn't know better, he just that it looked good...Needless to say, he got chewed out quite a bit  ;D

Commissioned as LT or LTCDR?

I can never get straight whether or not LTCDR's in the Navy/CG/NOAA/USPHS wear scrambled eggs...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Man, I would not want to be the guy that got caught posing as a SEAL, by a SEAL  >:D

Nor I.  I value my continued reasonably good health too much. :o
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Quote from: CyBorg on December 30, 2011, 04:45:51 AM
A man I know used to be a dentist in the Navy. Once he got commissioned, he went to the uniform store and bought a cover with all the (wrong) scrambled eggs and such. He didn't know better, he just that it looked good...Needless to say, he got chewed out quite a bit  ;D

Commissioned as LT or LTCDR?

I can never get straight whether or not LTCDR's in the Navy/CG/NOAA/USPHS wear scrambled eggs...

That's LCDR, and they do not wear scrambled eggs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Quote from: CyBorg on December 30, 2011, 04:45:51 AM

LCDR's do not wear scrambled eggs.  CDR's and CAPT's wear half brim.  Flag's wear full brim.

COL Land

Quote from: Major Lord on December 28, 2011, 11:04:17 PM
The U.S. Army Cadet Corps mailed a part of a member's personnel (DD-214)  file to the media?

Actually, I simply sent a link to the DD-214 which was posted at www.pownetwork.org.  The file is scrubbed (no SSN) and available through a FOIA request.
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

COL Land

Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2011, 10:25:48 PM
We had a guy in our wing who claimed to be a medically retired Army Col.  Former commander of a major Army Recruiting unit.  He bamboozeld TNWG into giving him LT Col and used that as his basis for rank when he transfered here to NVWG.

His name was Barry something.   We dealt with him too and then outed him to proper authority.  Later saw him as a BG in the "Army Volunteer Reserve."  Oddly, years later, he tried again submit a request to form a USAC unit...ugh.
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

lordmonar

Quote from: COL Land on December 30, 2011, 05:43:51 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2011, 10:25:48 PM
We had a guy in our wing who claimed to be a medically retired Army Col.  Former commander of a major Army Recruiting unit.  He bamboozeld TNWG into giving him LT Col and used that as his basis for rank when he transfered here to NVWG.

His name was Barry something.   We dealt with him too and then outed him to proper authority.  Later saw him as a BG in the "Army Volunteer Reserve."  Oddly, years later, he tried again submit a request to form a USAC unit...ugh.
That's the bozo!  Barry Keller.  With the U.S. National Defense Corps......and I just learned...the 2012 commander of the Las Vegas USCGAUX flotilla!

RiverAux.....you need to ping your leadership about this guy!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Also...unless something has radically changed since I was an Auxiliarist, rank titles are not used.

The proper address that I remember would be "Barry Keller, Flotilla Commander."

Speaking of which...I've never been good with rank abbreviations other than the USAF, Luftwaffe and Commonwealth.  "LtCdr" probably came from Star Trek or something similar.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk