Main Menu

C/2Lt, to E-3

Started by cadetpoppe, December 28, 2011, 12:47:50 AM

cadetpoppe

Hello all, I am currently a C/Smsgt and if all goes well an Lt. by April/May. I am going to BCT over the summer and am wondering how to go about applying for the E-3 benifit and if it is something that must be done now, or after BCT. So I just need the general info on the whole application process for this issue, so if there is a manuel, or some kind of "how to" anyone knows about, it would be much appreciated if you would just comment or PM me about it.

Thanks!

P.S. The army does do the E-3 program,I just don't know of how different if different at all it is.
C/SmSgt Poppe

Ford73Diesel

That is something your recruiter will handle BEFORE you sign the contract. You must initiate this with him/her. Keep in mind you are eligible for this but it is not automatic. Each service is different. When I did it, I simply gave my recruiter a copy of my Mitchell Certificate.

cap235629

Ryan,

If you go in anything but the AF, you only get E-2

my son just enlisted in the Army and we read the regs together.  Eagle Scout, Gold Award, Mitchell= E-2
3 years JROTC or get 2 friends to enlist gets E-3

The recruiter was shocked because they all used to be E-3, the regs have changed.....

Navy, MC always were E-2

edited to add information, my mind is shutting down with only 3 hours of sleep in the last 36
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

PHall

But like the man said. See your recruiter and get it in writing on your enlistment contract before you raise your right hand.

JK657

Your Recruiter has a manual that lists what accomplishments in life allow for promotion. He will require a copy of any documentation you have so he can get it IPERM'D as part of your official records. There are also several ways to get that additional stripe so you are an E-3. Taking and passing physical and general knowledge tests, etc can get you promoted prior to shipping out to BCT.

I am Active Army Guard and have a lot of info on recruiting. I spent two years enlisted prior to commissioning so I know about BCT and AIT as well. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me!

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: cap235629 on December 28, 2011, 01:13:39 AM
If you go in anything but the AF, you only get E-2

The Coast Guard grants the following incentives: (source CAP Knowledgebase)

Quote4. U.S. Air Force Civil Air Patrol (CAP).
a. Applicants with two years of experience are eligible to enlist in pay grade E-2.
b. Applicants with three years of experience or cadets who receive the General Billy Mitchell Award are eligible to enlist in the pay grade of E-3.

As mentioned before, if you sign the contract before Mitchell credit is added, they will not change it. They call it a contract for a reason.

edited to fix stuff and add information.

DBlair

*** Allow me to repeat what others have said, this must be discussed *prior* to signing anything as once you sign on the dotted line, you are essentially out of luck as to anything else that you could have gotten. Consider it like a sales contract, if it wasn't part of the deal you agreed to, you can't get it after the fact. Don't make the mistake of rushing to sign without looking into what sort of incentives are available.

While I remember E3 was once the incentive a while back for CAP Mitchell Award or BSA Eagle Scout, it seems this is no longer the case. According to the Army Regulation (read through it as I'm sure it will prove useful), PV2 (E-2) is all that seems to be offered.

AR 601-210: See 2-18 Para 10 (Page 16)
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_210.pdf

That said, keep in mind that if you are joining the Army National Guard, there is another approach you may want to consider...

While it varies with each state, many states will allow you to "Enlist for OCS" (I forget the enlistment code) in which case you have a special enlistment package whereby you go through Basic and are paid as an E-6 (E-5 in some states) as you get your college degree (many states cover 100% of in-state tuition for ARNG, so it would be free college and an inactive NG status + monthly money for school expenses) and then you go to OCS at some point while attending college (summer of senior year or after graduation) and then you come out as a 2LT. Something to consider as it is the smart/fast track/strategic approach, in my opinion. (Exact details may vary according to your state, so you may want to research this further.)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

JK657

Quote from: DBlair on December 28, 2011, 02:38:50 AM
*** Allow me to repeat what others have said, this must be discussed *prior* to signing anything as once you sign on the dotted line, you are essentially out of luck as to anything else that you could have gotten. Consider it like a sales contract, if it wasn't part of the deal you agreed to, you can't get it after the fact. Don't make the mistake of rushing to sign without looking into what sort of incentives are available.

While I remember E3 was once the incentive a while back for CAP Mitchell Award or BSA Eagle Scout, it seems this is no longer the case. According to the Army Regulation (read through it as I'm sure it will prove useful), PV2 (E-2) is all that seems to be offered.

AR 601-210: See 2-18 Para 10 (Page 16)
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_210.pdf

That said, keep in mind that if you are joining the Army National Guard, there is another approach you may want to consider...

While it varies with each state, many states will allow you to "Enlist for OCS" (I forget the enlistment code) in which case you have a special enlistment package whereby you go through Basic and are paid as an E-6 (E-5 in some states) as you get your college degree (many states cover 100% of in-state tuition for ARNG, so it would be free college and an inactive NG status + monthly money for school expenses) and then you go to OCS at some point while attending college (summer of senior year or after graduation) and then you come out as a 2LT. Something to consider as it is the smart/fast track/strategic approach, in my opinion. (Exact details may vary according to your state, so you may want to research this further.)

The minimum standards for OCS in the guard are consistent as far as state to state. Where they start to differ is in the pre-OCS process and which course you attend.To enlist in the Army National Guard with the OCS option (MOS 09S) you must have 60 semester units towards a degree to attend "Traditional OCS" and 90 units to attend "Accelerated OCS". For active duty OCS you must have completed your degree prior to applying.

cadetpoppe

Alright, thanks all, guess some info just has to be updated on the Mitchel=E-3 thing. I have not signed anything as of yet, which is why I was asking about it before hand because after all, it is a contract no matter how easy the recruiter says it is to change. My plan as of right now is do split option training, then do SMP while in college and apply for ROTC, where I will be E-5 (or E-6 depnding on TX regs) untill commission time.
C/SmSgt Poppe

lordmonar

Quote from: cadetpoppe on December 28, 2011, 05:35:14 PM
Alright, thanks all, guess some infor just has to be updated on the Mitchel=E-3 thing. I have not signed anything as of yet, which is why I was asking about it befoer hand because after all, it is a contract no matter how easy the recruiter says it is to change. My plan as of right now is do split option training, then do SMP while in college and apply for ROTC, where I will be E-5 (or E-6 depnding on TX regs)
And then you get deployed to Asscrackastan for six months and your college plans go down fecal creek.

Remember again.....that a lot of those programs you read about in the book are dependant upon your immediat commander signing off on them.  So...make sure you are talking to the right guys before you make plans and sign anything!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cadetpoppe

They say I'm non deployable the entire time... I'll triple check on the contracts, haha.
C/SmSgt Poppe

lordmonar

Quote from: cadetpoppe on December 28, 2011, 05:42:47 PM
They say I'm non deployable the entire time... I'll triple check on the contracts, haha.
Be careful of what "they" say.  If it is not down on paper...then it is subject to change.   :o
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2011, 05:47:48 PM
Be careful of what "they" say.  If it is not down on paper...then it is subject to change.   :o
If it's not written down, it doesn't exist.

SARDOC

It sounds like you are doing the summer option?  This is where you attend BCT between your Junior and Senior Year of High School.  is this what you are doing?

cadetpoppe

Quote from: JeffDG on December 28, 2011, 06:10:21 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2011, 05:47:48 PM
If it's not written down, it doesn't exist.

Darn Right, Sir

Quote from: SARDOC on December 28, 2011, 06:16:28 PM
It sounds like you are doing the summer option?  This is where you attend BCT between your Junior and Senior Year of High School.  is this what you are doing?

That is correct Sir, I will be doing what is called Split Option Training, which consists of BCT over the summer, then being useless to the army till AIT, but hey! I'm pretty good at sweeping floors till then.
C/SmSgt Poppe

SarDragon

Sweeping floors might be the easiest and cleanest thing you do.   >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wacapgh

Just assisted a cadet a few months back with this. Get it in writing and get your Mitchell before you report!

The cadet transferred to my unit and had everything complete except for taking the actual Mitchell tests (There is a Leadership and an Aerospace part). It's Tuesday night and he ships out to Lackland on Saturday. Passes the aero but misses leadership by two questions. We make arrangements to retest the next day, and after study he passes.

Eventually had to send the actual certificate to him at Lackland by Experss Mail before the USAF would promote to E-3.

As far as split-option goes, I was an 11B (Infantry) doing OSUT "One Station Unit Training" at Ft. Benning. Halfway through, we had some split-option guys come back for AIT. We had just spent the last month running 3 miles every morning (after PT) and marching with full field gear to anyplace that was less than 5 miles away. Most of those guys spent the last 9 months "back on the block" watching TV. The difference between Basic and AIT? We ran 5 miles in the morning, as we were already in shape  ;D

cap235629

Quote from: cadetpoppe on December 28, 2011, 05:35:14 PM
Alright, thanks all, guess some info just has to be updated on the Mitchel=E-3 thing. I have not signed anything as of yet, which is why I was asking about it before hand because after all, it is a contract no matter how easy the recruiter says it is to change. My plan as of right now is do split option training, then do SMP while in college and apply for ROTC, where I will be E-5 (or E-6 depnding on TX regs) untill commission time.

Ryan we can visit about this as this was what Buddy wanted to do.  See you at the next meeting!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

The CyBorg is destroyed

If it's NOT in your enlistment contract...IT DOESN'T EXIST.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret