My return to a CAP meeting after a few years.

Started by Stonewall, December 02, 2011, 03:42:37 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: Stonewall on November 27, 2011, 10:55:36 PM
Quote from: DBlair on November 27, 2011, 09:47:19 PM
PS: I notice a change in your signature block-- does this reflect a change in status? If so, it seems a few of us did likewise. (I remember this being discussed a while back)

Two things have happened:

1.  I felt it was a nice gesture from NHQ to extend my membership due to my deployment to Afghanistan, which basically means I continued my membership for almost a year for free, plus 90 days upon my return.  When, in fact, I had made the conscious decision to NOT renew my membership last year.  I took this as a "sign" of sorts, but still did not renew.

2.  I happened to run into the new-ish squadron commander who I always liked.  I didn't not like the previous commander, but we were definitely not on the same page when he named me DCC almost 3 years ago and only lasted a few months before I stepped down.  The new CC took the opportunity during our run in, at a bar no less, to work his best used car salesmanship to entice me back.  At the time, I had only been back from A-stan for a week and wasn't in the mood.  But after a few months it kind of grew on me so I called him up for a run down on the situation at the squadron.  It sounded like it was right up my alley; re-building a cadet program from scratch (or so he says).

So, here I am, getting uniforms prepared for this Thursday's meeting.  My first meeting in over 2 years.  I explained to the CC that I am coming in on an as needed/available basis.  In my mind, that means maybe 1 or 2 meetings per month and I'll offer one weekend (1 or 2 days) every quarter.  I am looking at a position that will support the cadet program but won't require my full attention and energy.  I have a full-time job that keeps me fairly busy, a family with 2 small kids and then there's the Air Guard, which has yet to prove to be a "one weekend a month" gig since 9/11.

I attended my first meeting since early 2009, so almost 3 years has gone by since I put on a CAP uniform.  Not only that, but this was my third attempt at returning to active (or semi-active) status.

Here are my observations:

1.  There is currently an interim commander, but the "real commander" will return late December.  I emailed the interim before I knew it was just temporary and explained my goals in about a paragraph (see above quote).  He never replied.  I met with him for a quick handshake to which he said "sorry I didn't reply" and those were the only words spoken.

2.  I recognized several of the "old timers" and most of them greeted me with a firm shake and a smile.  That felt good!

3.  Cadets are different from what I experienced when I was fully active as a senior member in DCWG for 15 years.

4.  This was my third time returning in an attempt to be active again and this was the third time that I was asked if I was interested in DCC within an hour of my arrival.  (Asked by current DCC).

5.  There are A LOT of cadets; way more than I expected.  I heard there's 50 on the roster, but last night I counted around 23 in uniforms and another 8 or so in civvies.

6.  Cadets are motivated.

7.  There is a lot of senior involvement with the cadets, but all (I think, all) are parents of the home schooled cadets.  One SM (mom) was very nice and polite and took the time to talk to me about the cadet program.  Her husband is also directly involved with the cadets.  There was another father, who I think is also a SM but was in civvies, who watched the cadets' every move...like a hawk.  The DCC is a great guy who I met back in 2006.  Former CAP cadet (Earhart, I want to say) who has his 15 year old son in the program.

8. The cadets are heavily involved in the Cyber Patriot program which I need to read up on.

9. I wonder if my personality would meld well with the cadets, or with the other CP focused senior members.

10.  It was a great experience.  Glad I went.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2011, 03:42:37 PM
4.  This was my third time returning in an attempt to be active again and this was the third time that I was asked if I was interested in DCC within an hour of my arrival.  (Asked by current DCC).
There is an unfortunate tendency in CAP to almost immediately try to pile on important responsibilities to anyone that shows some potential to be able to handle them.  This seems to be a particular problem around the squadron commander and deputy commander for cadets positions.  Most likely because these are two jobs that once you take them you are stuck with them until some other suckers shows up even dumber than you. 

tsrup

Quote from: RiverAux on December 03, 2011, 08:18:49 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2011, 03:42:37 PM
There is an unfortunate tendency in CAP to almost immediately try to pile on important responsibilities to anyone that shows some potential to be able to handle them.  This seems to be a particular problem around the squadron commander and deputy commander for cadets positions.  Most likely because these are two jobs that once you take them you are stuck with them until some other suckers shows up even dumber than you.

So wait, that's how I got my job??  :o

:-[
Paramedic
hang-around.

NIN

Second week I'm here in the northeast, I find my way down to the local CAP unit. No preamble, no phone call, just a "I'm gonna show up and see what happens."

To say that the unit was a disappointment was an understatement.  But within 15 minutes the commander had offered me the DCC's job.  And the DCC wasn't even there.   

Now, even  owing the the sorry state of the unit (the DCC was not a fireball. He's still a good friend of mine, and he'd tell you the same thing. He was learning as fast as he could, but there is only so much you can do in so much time), torpedoing your 1Lt DCC for some new Major who just walked in the door five minutes ago is, well, I didn't feel comfortable just slagging off this poor guy until I had a chance to meet him. 

I wasn't quite ready to be the DCC, anyway, but  I wanted to see what the big picture was. Maybe a mentoring relationship would be better for both him and the unit, develops him and the unit at the same time, versus an outright replacement.

I knew I was in for a tough row to hoe in any event, since I walked into the meeting and I don't think there were more than 2 cadets in the same uniform.  Immediate alarm bells. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.