official cap email address?

Started by etc, November 18, 2011, 08:06:40 AM

etc

Again, forgive me if this has been brought up before. Search was not very accurate.

I'm about ready to start building our squadron webpage...I've noticed our wing web site isn't a *.cap.gov but an individual identifier. I would prefer to avoid using any personal email published on the page.

Is there any way to get an official *.cap.gov email address?

Please Don't Flame me if this has been beaten into the ground :D

SarDragon

You might be able to go through your wing IT folks. Some wings, like CAWG, offer name@wing.cap.gov email addys. I have one myself.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etc

Thanks,

I sent an email into wing...but I don't think ours is an "official" page... it's a .org rather than .cap.gov

Extremepredjudice

Most webhosting companies offer emails... Mine gives me unlimited. (my server gives me unlimited too, but I don't want to waste space installing the software.)

It'd let you create name@yoursquadron.org
Or you can do recruiting@yoursquadron.org, or whatever that is needed
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

etc

That was one thing that confused me--I don't recall the exact publication at the moment but I thought any official wing page had to be [region].cap.gov but I guess i'm mistaken.

SarDragon

Quote from: etc on November 18, 2011, 08:13:05 AM
Thanks,

I sent an email into wing...but I don't think ours is an "official" page... it's a .org rather than .cap.gov

Email and web page can be independent. My unit's web page isn't hosted by the wing, but email addys (as described above) are still available.

Are you working on the wing level web page, or a squadron page? AFAIK, neither needs to be on a .cap.gov domain.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etc

I'm working on a squadron page which is going to be linked to our wing page. While browsing other wings I found several that were linked directly to .cap.gov

I was just curious as to the protocol.

JeffDG

Quote from: etc on November 18, 2011, 08:50:03 AM
That was one thing that confused me--I don't recall the exact publication at the moment but I thought any official wing page had to be [region].cap.gov but I guess i'm mistaken.
Nope...Review CAPR 110-1 (http://capmembers.com/media/cms/u_082503080020.pdf)...and yes, it is dated!

There are rules for using .cap.gov, but no requirement that you use it.  You do need put a footer on the pages stating the unit sponsoring the page and a few other points.

In fact, I know my region page is not in the cap.gov (wing is) at http://sercap.us

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on November 18, 2011, 12:46:14 PM
In fact, I know my region page is not in the cap.gov (wing is) at http://sercap.us

It is totally off-topic, but it is interesting to note that the first 14 articles in the "News" section of the SER website cover Florida  Wing activities. (The 15th article announces the election of the then-new national commander).

We now rejoin your regularly scheduled thread already in progress.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Woodsy

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 18, 2011, 02:28:15 PM

It is totally off-topic, but it is interesting to note that the first 14 articles in the "News" section of the SER website cover Florida  Wing activities. (The 15th article announces the election of the then-new national commander).

Obviously, this is because FLWG has the best PA program in the nation...  No surprise there though.  :)

DBlair

Quote from: Woodsy on November 18, 2011, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 18, 2011, 02:28:15 PM

Obviously, this is because FLWG has the best PA program in the nation...  No surprise there though.  :)

...and FLWG does much more than most Wings (thereby PAOs have much more to report), and has many more members than most other Wings as well.

Put it this way, my Group was larger and more active than some Wings, and in some cases multiple Wings combined. More than a few times, it was noted that my role as Group/CP was much more like the duties of a Wing/DCP, or a Region/DCP in some cases.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

jimmydeanno

Even Florida Wing should be larger than it is now.  Every brags about how "huge" Florida is.  Ranked by population, they're not very far from the bottom.

Florida should have 8X the members they have now if they had penetration rates of some of the smaller states. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 18, 2011, 06:48:47 PM
Even Florida Wing should be larger than it is now.  Every brags about how "huge" Florida is.  Ranked by population, they're not very far from the bottom.

Florida should have 8X the members they have now if they had penetration rates of some of the smaller states.

Actually, only partly true.

Florida
PopulationRanked 4th in the U.S.
- Total18,801,310 (2010 Census)[4]
- Density350.6/sq mi  (135.4/km2)
Ranked 10th in the U.S.

California
PopulationRanked 1st in the U.S.
- Total37,253,956
- Density234.4/sq mi  (90.49/km2)
Ranked 11th in the U.S.
Texas
PopulationRanked 2nd in the U.S.
- Total25,145,561 (2010 Census)[5]
- Density96.3[6]/sq mi  (37.2/km2)
Ranked 26th in the U.S.

The three biggest wings are in three of the four most populace states. Densities for two of the three are similar.

Florida apparently has more people than you think.

New York (to fill in the top four in population)
PopulationRanked 3rd in the U.S.
- Total19,378,102 (2010 Census)[3]
- Density408.7/sq mi  (157.81/km2)
Ranked 7th in the U.S.

I'm not sure how it fits into the wing population chart.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

If someone can provide the wing membership numbers, or a source, I'll take the time to do the comparisons.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

Quote from: SarDragon on November 19, 2011, 07:43:26 AM
If someone can provide the wing membership numbers, or a source, I'll take the time to do the comparisons.

I would love to see a comparison of wing size and wing size V. population. I think it would be fascinating.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

DBlair

FLWG: ~4,250 members
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SarDragon

Quote from: DBlair on November 19, 2011, 08:09:22 AM

FLWG: ~4,250 members

CAWG has 3,694, so we're probably #2 or #3, and with Texas being the other of the top 3. They've been swapping around for the last bunch of years.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

How many Wings have had Wing-widerecruiting efforts in recent years. Seems to be that any recruiting effort is at the Squadron level only. Florida Wing hasn't had a Wing-wide recruiting program since 1963 that I've been able to find.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Tim Medeiros

It should also be noted that FLWG has 4247 members while RMR (total) has 3735, just sayin.

Also food for thought, NCR has 4496, FLWG almost has them beat too.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarDragon link=topic=14191.msig256649#msg256649 date=1321688506
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 18, 2011, 06:48:47 PM

Actually, only partly true.

Florida
PopulationRanked 4th in the U.S.
- Total18,801,310 (2010 Census)[4]
- Density350.6/sq mi  (135.4/km2)
Ranked 10th in the U.S.

California
PopulationRanked 1st in the U.S.
- Total37,253,956
- Density234.4/sq mi  (90.49/km2)
Ranked 11th in the U.S.
Texas
PopulationRanked 2nd in the U.S.
- Total25,145,561 (2010 Census)[5]
- Density96.3[6]/sq mi  (37.2/km2)
Ranked 26th in the U.S.

The three biggest wings are in three of the four most populace states. Densities for two of the three are similar.

Florida apparently has more people than you think.

New York (to fill in the top four in population)
PopulationRanked 3rd in the U.S.
- Total19,378,102 (2010 Census)[3]
- Density408.7/sq mi  (157.81/km2)
Ranked 7th in the U.S.

I'm not sure how it fits into the wing population chart.

My point was that NH has near 1K members with just over 1million in population.  Ergo, Florida should have 18k members, but they don't have anything close.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill