Main Menu

Rocketry class questions

Started by Mariner, October 22, 2011, 08:27:45 AM

Mariner

The squadron I am joining has asked me to teach a rocketry class this winter. The 2Lt gave me a copy of the civil air patrol model rocketry book, and now I have questions. The first is where do you get the model rocketry book from. I can't seem to find a source to obtain my own copy. Also are the required tests provided, or do we write our own tests for the class. Also there are certificates in the book and once again do I need to print these off or do I get them from somewhere. I am cut off from the squadron until i get off the ship in January, and am trying to get things sorted out and ready before I get home.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Karl

coudano

capr 50-20 http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/u_032304074901.pdf
rocketry book  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/aerospace_education/internal_specific/model_rocketry.cfm

tests are in the book

you will also probably need to spend some time budgeting,
i think every cadet has to build, launch, and recover 3 rockets (plus an alka fuji) to complete the program.
thatll probably be $45ish in rockets plus 3 engines per cadet.
plus things like exacto, glue, paint, launchpad kits, etc

davidsinn

Quote from: coudano on October 22, 2011, 12:29:00 PM
tests are NOT in the book

You have to request them from NHQ and they have to be controlled like any other test.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ascorbate

Bulk packs (12 to a box) of single-stage model rockets can be found at several craft stores like Hobby Lobby in the $60.00 price range... that equates to about $5 per single-stage rocket. Cadets participating in the CAP Model rocketry program will also need to build and launch a two-stage rocket which I don't believe I've ever seen offered in bulk packs... a dual stage rocket can run approx $15 per model rocket. Bulk packs (24 to a box) of model rocket engines can run up to $60 per box at the crafts store which is pricey... and this is where one needs to consider online alternatives. If you (or the squadron) has never done this activity before, you will also need to procure a launcher and a launch pad. In the past, I have conducted the CAP model rocket program thru all three phases within a cost range of approx $25-30 per cadet. In my experience, one of the biggest obstacles is getting each individual cadet to commit to finishing all 3 phases of the program without dropping out prematurely. Good Luck... and have fun!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

ascorbate

You have to request them from NHQ and they have to be controlled like any other test.

From: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/aerospace_education/internal_specific/model_rocketry.cfm

Model Rocketry Tests:  Each squadron should have a hard copy of each rocketry test.  The hard copy may be photocopied to give to cadets taking the test.   In the event a copy of a rocketry test is needed, only the commander or test control officer may request a copy from headquarters by contacting Judy Stone at jstone@capnhq.gov.  The rocketry tests are NOT online.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

coudano

Quote from: davidsinn on October 22, 2011, 12:37:54 PM
Quote from: coudano on October 22, 2011, 12:29:00 PM
tests are NOT in the book

eh, my bad.

also http://www.acsupply.com

arajca

Here are a couple of sources for rockets and supplies:

AC Supply - mentioned in the Rocketry book
HobbyLinc - Rocketry section

Both offer discounts and bulk packs - including payloader and multistage rockets.

Mariner

I guess I will get with the 2Lt when I get home so that I can look at the tests, to ensure I teach what they need to know. I am into high power rocketry so i have much of the equipment needed, and may build a multi pad launcher while i am sitting out here. I know one of the rocket options for the redstone stage is a air/water rocket made from a coke bottle. I will probably buy the water rocket classroom pack with launcher from pitsco, then donate it to the squadron. As we will probably have only a handful of cadets doing the rocket course, I will probably buy most of the rockets and other stuff and donate it as well when the course is done. Now if I can only find away to arrange my first vacation next year in June, so I can take the cadets to Southern Thunder, to see the high power stuff get launched.

Thanks everyone for the help, especially the websites.

Karl

Thrashed

I did rocketry with about 12 cadets. Only one made it through all the way and I spent a lot of money! Never again. I'll do it if they pay for everything up front.

Save the triangle thingy

davidsinn

Quote from: ascorbate on October 22, 2011, 01:56:30 PM
only the commander or test control officer may request a copy

That's new. Used to be anyone SM could request them but they went to the unit's official mailing address.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

coudano

Yah the tests aren't very hard.
Like 10 questions each (3 tests, one for each phase)

The reading materials, as I recall them are pretty short too, a couple pages per phase.

Not a big deal.

Funding rocket kits and engines will probably be the bigger challenge, as has been pointed out.

When my squadron does rocket retreat (every couple years), a long weekend where we do everything for the badge in one sitting, we usually subsidize the cost with squadron funds, but the cadets still pay something out of pocket.

Mariner

Quote from: Thrashed on October 22, 2011, 10:55:53 PM
I did rocketry with about 12 cadets. Only one made it through all the way and I spent a lot of money! Never again. I'll do it if they pay for everything up front.

i attended a few cadet meetings to observe and there probably wont be but a handful of cadets. Pitsco sells the bottle rocket launcher and 30 parts kits to make the bottle rockets for around $280. And figure another 200 for other rockets and motors, is within my budget. as I had said in my previous post, I already have some of the launch equipment that I can use. Also I have been wanting to build a 6 station launch controller and pad, so this will give me an excuse to do it.

Karl

helper

I've conducted model rocketry during several squadron meetings and on weekends. Over a 3 year period with over 100 cadets, approximately half earned the badge. Some just wanted to build the rockets. The hardest part was passing the written portion. Many had to re-test. With only 10 questions at 70% it means that they can only miss 3 so they have to study. I try to include both Model Rocketry and AE4 Rocketry lessons so they can test on both. The combination appears to help.

As others have mentioned the bulk pak cost savings already, I'll provide a different solution. 

I've reduced the cost significantly by building rockets from scratch using FedEx envelopes (body tube & nose cone) and small boxes (fins). The building materials are scissors, hobby knife, yellow glue, hot glue & gun, paint, paper clips (hold the motor), pliers (bend clips) and flame proof streamers (buy the Halloween orange ones on sale afterwards). The launch system consists of 3 foot steel rods (1/8 or 3/16), a recycled 50 foot outdoor extension cord with alligator clips soldered on each end and a car battery.

The materials limit the scale rocket to a simple design such as the Patriot or a sounding rocket. Cadets should research their choice to learn about its role. 

Here's a photo of a single stage non-scale sample rocket:

Also, try asking for the Fuji film canisters at Wal-Mart's photo department. I'd gotten a bag of them for free.

Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

helper

Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

tonyairplane

I have conducted the program four times, usually with 10 to 15 cadets at the start.  Figure on $65 per cadet, and at most 70% of them doing all of the classwork, testing and activities, and earning the badge.  That would be after explaining the process, going over the costs, and extracting promises from them and their parents.  The first time I paid for it (yes, I took the $750 off of my taxes); since then, the squadron has paid for most of it, I usually spend $100 or less each time now.

As usual, some of the cadets will read the book before class as asked; some will find the tests easy, and others will still fail even after having been spoon-fed the material.  Then a few will lose or break their rockets; some will show up with only two of the three on launch day; others will quit CAP before finishing.

Mariner

Once again, thanks for the advice. I really believe that my class will not have more then about 4 cadets in it, so I will pick up the cost for a good portion of the class. I will check out the photo center in wal mart to get the fuji film cannisters, and maybe the local CVS pharmacy. I brought some alka seltzer with me on the ship as I have never tried the alka seltzer rocket. With my luck when I launch it in the engineroom it will probably declutch the engines. :o

coudano

Quote from: Mariner on October 25, 2011, 01:27:26 AM
Once again, thanks for the advice. I really believe that my class will not have more then about 4 cadets in it, so I will pick up the cost for a good portion of the class. I will check out the photo center in wal mart to get the fuji film cannisters, and maybe the local CVS pharmacy. I brought some alka seltzer with me on the ship as I have never tried the alka seltzer rocket. With my luck when I launch it in the engineroom it will probably declutch the engines. :o

some water, and "rocket fuel" er... uh...  alkaseltzer
will get sprayed around

so just plan on a little cleanup.

a good alkafuji can fly several feet into the air!  well past overhead.

Mariner

Quote from: coudano on October 25, 2011, 01:53:47 AM
Quote from: Mariner on October 25, 2011, 01:27:26 AM

some water, and "rocket fuel" er... uh...  alkaseltzer
will get sprayed around

so just plan on a little cleanup.

a good alkafuji can fly several feet into the air!  well past overhead.

Luckily we have steel decks so clean up will just be a quick mop job. And as the overhead is 12 to 15 feet, as long as I don't get carried away with the alkaseltzer it should stay sub orbital, or at least it shoudn't bounce around to much. The one chief I worked for would have taken the rocket so he could play with it. You have to grow older, but you don't have to grow up.  ;D