Anyone else taking SOS right now?

Started by Robert Hartigan, January 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM

SarDragon

If you can, it would be a great investment of your time. If it's anything like the USN school I attended, you'll learn a lot, but it isn't easy. My electronics schools were all easier than the instructor school.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

I did the CAP Instructon Program. Unless it's been significantly revised, it was almost a waste of time.

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on January 20, 2007, 06:45:55 PM
I did the CAP Instructon Program. Unless it's been significantly revised, it was almost a waste of time.

What I'm thinking about is anything that approximates the old Academic Instructor Circuit Rider Course that was offered in the 70s. It was a two day intense condensation of the Academic Instructor Course given at Maxwell.

Look at AFMAN 36-2236. This is the instructor bible, and has most of the info instructors need to teach. It encompasses both parts of the gig - classroom instructing, and curriculum development. They are intermingled a bit, since there is an overlap in necessary knowledge for each job.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

Are the SOS questions the verbatim end of chapter review questions like the AFIADL 13 (ECI 13) ?

p.s. Don't tell anyone that the AFIADL 13 test questions are the end of chapter review questions-that would be unfair to the rest of you who bought dozens of multi-colored highlighters!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

arajca

No. At least they didn't appear that way. They do cover the same material. Most of the Samples of Behavior are written answer - some can be lengthy.

O-Rex

Academic standards from ECI-13 to SOS are worlds apart.

I took SOS on CD three years ago, and thought it was kind of fun. There were slides of instructors as they lectured on audio, when it came time to answer questions, If you got it right, the next slide was  smile and "good job!"  Get it wrong, and the next slide featured the same instructor with a raised eyebrow, "You might want to think about your answer and try again."  Case Studies were pretty interesting, and the introduction to Air Power is something you'll never get in CAP.  Exams were not easy: they focused more on "synthesis of concepts" (the essence of college-level work) rather than just regurgitating the material.  There is also a section on Personnel Administration/Enlisted Personnel Management and Evaluation that are very USAF-specific-it was hard for me to dive enthusiastically into that one.  The optional role-playing video-game at the end was fun.

ACSC was much "drier," and didn't include the "Rah-Rah, welcome to the Officer Corps" motivational theme that SOS had.  Exams are also a tad bit more challenging-it's supposed to be graduate-level work.  The presentations were pretty interesting, particularly the case-study of the Lt Col Bud Holland's 1994 B-52 crash, as well as a thesis on why USAF's "Operation Linebacker" bombing campaign of 1972 would not have worked in previous years.  You also get an overview of each of the other services' organization, mission and doctrine.  The video game at the end of ACSC,  i.e, "How to win Gulf War Air Campaign in five moves or less." was a fun and challenging exercise in strategy and allocation of resources (that game is not optional: when you win, you get a code you have to submit on the ACSC Website.) 

Speaking of which, the ACSC web-portal was handy: you get your grade faster than waiting for the post-cards from AFIADL, and there are forums, much like this one.

The courses are no pushover, but what I really got out of it was exposure
to the same knowledgebase that a USAF officer would have: It's certainly an educational opportunity you won't get anywhere else.  Completion of ACSC is also a very nice line-item for your civilian resume. . . .   

I think that an SOS or ACSC-trained CAP Member adds value to their unit and the organization as a whole IF they adapt what they've learned to a CAP context (many will argue against, but the fact is that CAP and USAF "cultures" are very different.)  There is also a better chance of a CAP member who is an SOS/ACSC-Grad finding a common frame of reference, or at least familiar with a smidgen of the lingo when interacting with USAF personnel.

I would like to think that the prestige that comes with actually completing these courses gives members an edge as candidates for command (just as it would in the military) but alas, I have yet to see it.  (Again, CAP culture is different...)

Nonetheless, if you have the time, aptitude, and sticktoitiveness, I would highly recommend USAF PME courses.

DNall

^ great insight, thank you. It would be nice to see it enhance one's chance of command & the like. Certainly the in-res SOS is a place where possiblle future Sq CCs are judged & their careers positively or egatively influenced based on that judgement. In CAP I was just helping my Gp CC today to get log-in. I doubt a lot of Wg CCs go thru the process. It seems like RSC/NSC & the networking with the up & coming seems to be better for the politics of it.

arajca

Speaking of ACSC, the AF is testing a new variant of the program - ACSC Masters DL course. Upon completion, the student receives a Masters degree in Military Management. The cost is the same, and I've already submitted a question to them as to whether CAP members would be able to take this variant, although I haven't heard back yet.

Can anyone else see this as a HUGE benefit?

SAR-EMT1

YES! --- IF YOU NEED ME TO SIGN A PETITION OR ANYTHING -lol- IM THERE
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

arajca

The test course starts this summer. I don't expect an answer until then.

I'm planning on taking it when I get Major (a couple years away at least).

DeputyDog

Quote from: arajca on January 22, 2007, 02:17:53 PM
Speaking of ACSC, the AF is testing a new variant of the program - ACSC Masters DL course. Upon completion, the student receives a Masters degree in Military Management. The cost is the same, and I've already submitted a question to them as to whether CAP members would be able to take this variant, although I haven't heard back yet.

Can anyone else see this as a HUGE benefit?

I do. I think I will wait to attempt (again) the ACSC until we get an answer on that. I already have my Level V, so I can wait.  ;D

The SOS course was tough for me in itself (I took and passed it before I had an Associate's). When I took the ACSC and failed, I was in my first year of graduate school. Talk about an overload....

DNall

Quote from: arajca on January 22, 2007, 07:08:05 PM
The test course starts this summer. I don't expect an answer until then.

I'm planning on taking it when I get Major (a couple years away at least).
Well I was planning on taking it this summer or maybe late spring. Not going to have time for those things for a while after that. AU awarding a masters degree huh? That'd be great. I understood the existing ACSC was free to us. Would there be a cost to this (how much), and entrance requirements? I can just see the CAP Major w/ just high school trying to tak ethis & then trying to get a job on that basis. Really cool though.

arajca

SAR-EMT1

Hmm question: for any RLNCOs if you take this through CAP or any of the other PME for that matter, does it count for anything at your AD/NG/Res unit?

Id love to take that Masters course... that would end [some of] the debate about our professionalism and /or education requirment shortfalls
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

O-Rex

A word on the ACSC Master's course: It sounds very much like the Naval  War College's "Fleet Seminar Program." for O-3's and O-4's:  You attend classes just like any college night-school program. 

It's not available everywhere (about half a dozen locations, major hubs like Norfolk, Diego, P'cola, etc.  Nor is it open to everyone. 

I imagine the this new ACSC program will be similarly structured and ALOT more difficult that the CD-ROM version, with  heavy writing requirement. 
Remember that PME's are not a "gimmee" for Officers: you usually have to be selected.  Seats may be limited, and candidates may have to compete for them:  Don't be surprised or offended if CAP members don't get invited right away. . .

Even with the current version, I know of more CAP members who drop the course than complete it.  Earning a Masters Degree through ACSC will not be a walk in the park....

DNall

Interesting. The master program on that link isn't ACSC. It says Majors will have the choice of the traditional ACSC-DL course & need an outside masters degree for career advancement, or they can cover both with this combination of AF & Joint-Def courses. 2-year program, 34hrs. Sounds good, I hope they do open it to CAP members eventualy, but it sounds like that's not something they're going to think about unless someone asks them to.

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 23, 2007, 12:49:48 AM
Hmm question: for any RLNCOs if you take this through CAP or any of the other PME for that matter, does it count for anything at your AD/NG/Res unit?
LNCOs are not able to take officer PME thru CAP as they are not CAP officers in the correct grades. Now, CAP members who are also NCOs (AD, gruard, res) are able to take the courses just like any other CAP officer. I couldn't tell you if it helps them or not, but I'm sure it looks cool on the wall. A lot of cadets that go AF officer are able to stay involved with CAP & promote at our faster rate, which allows them to take the officer PME faster than they would normally be allowed to in the AF. That does seem to enhance things a touch, every advantage you can get it helpful. They'll still be sent to at least the in-res SOS at some point, and probably AWC toward the back end, but those are both good things.

Fifinella

AF PME looks good on the resume for civil service too.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

MajorSER

Quote from: arajca on January 22, 2007, 09:44:54 PM
For more information on the ACSC Masters DL program, here is the ACSC Distance Learning Masters Degree Information page.

Arajca

I just signed up for ACSC but I would be very interested in hearing their answer about CAP members taking the Master's Course.
I will be looking for your post in April.
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Я был там как солдатом

SAR-EMT1

If I take SOS as a CAP Officer, and ROTC finally waives my medical and let me commission I'm going to have to take the course again?! grrr -teeth grinding ensues-
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 24, 2007, 10:49:36 AM
If I take SOS as a CAP Officer, and ROTC finally waives my medical and let me commission I'm going to have to take the course again?! grrr -teeth grinding ensues-

You'll get the credit for taking it via correspondence, but they'll probably recommend you take it in-residence if offered.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040