THE CHIEF'S UNIFORM GUIDE

Started by Chief Chiafos, January 16, 2007, 05:28:12 AM

Chief Chiafos

I brought this here from another posting.  The Gorilla Guide has everything you need to know about how to prepare and wear the Air Force Uniform.  If you ever wondered what made the difference between a good and a bad uniform you'll find it in the guide.  If you have ideas or suggestions on how to improve it, please let me know.

Major Carrales

Chief,

I should like to publish sections of your work in my weekly Squadron Newsletter.  I also wish to respect copyright law.

I would be honored to run a message from you in our newsletter prior to this feature.  Please PM me with said message and your e-mail should you like to receive our newsletter. 

Major Carrales
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Looks pretty good Chief.

I have only two thing to say.

1.  It needs to be updated...you have a section on how to prepare you blues shirt for sewing on patches...we don't sew patches to our blues shirts anymore.

2.  You jump around on subject matter.  Again in the blues shirt prep section...you mention about how to prep your BDU name tape and CAP tape.

Little things like that make it a little confusing.

Except for that it has all the tricks of the trade and what not.

I have only one concern about publishing this at your level.  There is a big difference between going the full difference and being within regulations.  I worry that there will be people out there that will expect newbies to be ready to meet the full on standards at the basic level.

While it is great we keep raising the bar...you have to remember that everyone has to take baby steps to get there.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Chief Chiafos

Your right.

In previous editions I had to deal with the wing patch on the blue shirt.  I thought all that had been edited out, but I missed some stuff.

Your right again.

Newbies may take awhile, but the answer for that is training, early, and complete.  One of the most enjoyable things I've ever done was conducting uniform clinics for my cadets.  Teaching them how to use an iron, or spit shinning shoes.  My cadets look better than the USAF ever did, how I wish you could see them.

SarDragon

Your spell checker has let you down.
Correct spellings - shiny, shining
Take out the double n's

With respect to sideburns, you're way off the mark.

AFI 36-2903 says: they "will not extend below the lowest part of the exterior ear opening". There is no figure in the AFM, but the text accompanying the figure in the CAPM corresponds to the text above, so I will presume that the CAPM figure is correct.

NAVPERS 15665I says"Sideburns shall not extend below a point level with the middle of the ear, as indicated by line "A". There is an accompanying figure.

MCO P1020.34G says: "Sideburns will not extend below the top of the orifice of the ear, as indicated by the line A-A' in figures 1-1 and 1-2. Sideburns will not be styled to taper or flare. The length of an individual hair of the sideburn will not exceed 1/8 inch when fully extended."

USAR 670-1 say : "Sideburns will not extend below the lowest part of the exterior ear opening." There is no accompanying figure.

Even though you may dislike sideburns, I think it is improper to put incorrect information in a publication that unsuspecting readers will take as gospel.

Also, you state: "In the current Marine Corps uniform manual mustache hair cannot exceed 1/12th of an inch in length." This is incorrect. The correct figure is 1/2 inch.

While a potentially useful resource, I think it needs peer review by an unbiased individual. I see too many personal opinions added to some excellent factual information.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Good stuff, Chief... with a little tweaking such as described above, it'll be an outstanding guide.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LtCol White

I think its good for the newbies to get a good dose up front of it. If they see what is expected, then perhaps they will get it right. Its harder to correct the problems after they are in the habit. Always best to get them right from the starting gate.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

MIKE

I read something in the guide about replacing the web belt for BDUs with a leather belt.  The manual only mentions the web belt.
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on January 16, 2007, 03:48:47 PM
I read something in the guide about replacing the web belt for BDUs with a leather belt.  The manual only mentions the web belt.

The new edition of AFI 36-2903 now allows 'rigger's belts' to hold up BDU trousers instead of the standard web belt. And it's available in AF blue. CAPM 39-1 is way behind the times.

http://www.kellac.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16537&cat=278&page=1
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 16, 2007, 04:41:35 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 16, 2007, 03:48:47 PM

The new edition of AFI 36-2903 now allows 'rigger's belts' to hold up BDU trousers instead of the standard web belt. And it's available in AF blue. CAPM 39-1 is way behind the times.

A leather belt isn't a rigger's belt.... And until they update CAPM 39-1 you can only wear said rigger's belt with the CAP Field Uniform.

USCG just authorized black rigger's belts with the ODU BTW.  UDC was stocking them before the ALCOAST came out.
Mike Johnston

Chief Chiafos

As for sideburns:  we have semantical confusion here, a hairline that does not extend below the lowest part of the ear opening - isn't a "side burn" in the classic sense of facial hair! That was my intended reference.  39-1 allows sideburns to fall below that line.  And it isn't a matter of wether or not I like "sideburns", that fact is they are not acceptable because of current customs of hair in the armed forces.

As for the leather BDU belt, same thing.  The issue belt just didn't do the job, so airmen sought their own solutions.  The leather belt was abandoned for the riggers belt, and that "custom" became so powerful that it had to be recognized in the AFI, and sold by AAFES.  I need to revise that section of the Guide.

As I said in the Guide - the AFI is not the first, last, or only word on uniforms.  You have all heard the phrase "Customs and Courtesies"  Well, we are dealing in the nebulous world of customs, and they change over time.

Sorry about the typo on mustache hair length - I will correct the error in the next edition.

MIKE

Chief, all I'm saying is you shouldn't print something that is suggesting something that is contrary to directives as written.
Mike Johnston

Monty

Adding insult to injury, I'm not convinced that my beloved Air Force's use of a BDU belt alternative is even necessary in CAP.

The issue or elastic variety is plenty sufficient for non-combatant seniors and cadets...with emphasis on the elastic version for those of us getting longer in the tooth!  :D

I have never been on a mission where a CAP member stopped and said, "whew doggie - I sure wish I had a different belt on these BDUs.  It'd make this mission happen more easy!"

Eclipse

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 16, 2007, 07:38:43 PMAs I said in the Guide - the AFI is not the first, last, or only word on uniforms.

I agree 100% - in fact, the AFI doesn't even apply!

Our uniform manual is CAPM 39-1.

The single biggest place where new members get themselves into trouble, especially those who are current or ex-military, is injecting their opinion about how things "should be" into conversations and guidance which imply a regulatory authority.  

We'd be so much better off if we just worked the program, OUR program, instead of being constantly peppered with comments, anecdotes, and comparisons to the RealMilitary®.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chief Chiafos

For those of you concerned that my guide doesn't follow regulations, or that there is too much personal opinion, I remind you, this is a gorilla guide, not a regulation, use it or don't use it.

Remember, our uniform belongs to the Air Force, and the Air Force has the expectation that we will follow their 'customs' when we wear it - failure to do so is the single greatest cause of Air Force heartburn with CAP.

Guardrail

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 16, 2007, 07:38:43 PMAs I said in the Guide - the AFI is not the first, last, or only word on uniforms.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2007, 07:53:35 PMI agree 100% - in fact, the AFI doesn't even apply!

Really, sir?  Then how did CAP adopt its rules regarding body piercings and such?  For a very long time, the only guidance on this was from AFI 36-2903.

Chief Chiafos

SIGH...

Guardrail, I really don't know, and don't care.  My only concern with the Guide was to provide information that appears no where else, so that members of CAP could improve the appearance of their uniforms.  If the Guide doesn't meet your expectations - publish your own.

Guardrail

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 16, 2007, 07:59:24 PM
For those of you concerned that my guide doesn't follow regulations, or that there is too much personal opinion, I remind you, this is a gorilla guide, not a regulation, use it or don't use it.

Yes, I understand Chief.  But with great respect, if your guide does not follow regulations, it's teaching cadets and seniors to wear their uniform out of regulations (in those areas where the guide does not follow regulations).  That's a bigger deal than the personal opinion stuff. 

In those areas where your guide doesn't follow regulations, it is in effect doing one of 2 things: it's either making an incorrect citation from the uniform manual, or it's including something that is not found in the uniform manual (that contradicts it).  Either way, it's teaching someone to wear the uniform incorrectly.

Good example is the Air Force Airman's Guide.  The guide is like your gorilla guide - it is not a regulation, and people don't have to follow it.  However, all the information that is found within the guide correctly cites the manuals referenced, and nothing is made up and reproduced as if it came from a manual.  Same goes for the Officer's Guide. 

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 16, 2007, 07:59:24 PMRemember, our uniform belongs to the Air Force, and the Air Force has the expectation that we will follow their 'customs' when we wear it - failure to do so is the single greatest cause of Air Force heartburn with CAP.

Great point, Chief.  However, I don't know if poor uniform wear/care is the single greatest cause of Air Force heartburn with CAP.  I think it has more to do with an unprofessional attitude, where mediocrity takes the place of excellence in all that is done.  Nonetheless, I would argue that poor uniform wear/care is certainly within the realm of that kind of attitude. 

Guardrail

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 16, 2007, 08:09:31 PM
SIGH...

Guardrail, I really don't know, and don't care.  My only concern with the Guide was to provide information that appears no where else, so that members of CAP could improve the appearance of their uniforms.  If the Guide doesn't meet your expectations - publish your own.

Chief Chiafos, all I can say is that my only expectation is that it doesn't contradict the uniform manual.  That's all. 

With great respect, never said anything about the manual in that post about the AFI 36-2903 and body piercings, Chief.  I think the Gorilla Uniform Guide is great, just needs a little tweaking.     

sandman

Quote from: Guardrail on January 16, 2007, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 16, 2007, 08:09:31 PM
SIGH...

Chief Chiafos, all I can say is that my only expectation is that it doesn't contradict the uniform manual.  That's all. 

With great respect, never said anything about the manual in that post about the AFI 36-2903 and body piercings, Chief.  I think the Gorilla Uniform Guide is great, just needs a little tweaking.     

Okay Guardrail, take the initiative and collaborate with Chief and/or others to update the guide. Sounds like a good project!
Keep up the good work Chief!
;D
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command