Main Menu

facebook mishap

Started by jman5222, September 16, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

Short Field

If you don't want to see something posted on the squadron bulletin board, don't send it via e-mail or post it on-line.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

jman5222

im done with this post, ive got all the information that i want, and i want it deleated, no disrespect, but i have choises to, yah i may own it, in the same way that i own a trash can, and i want this in my trash can

Майор Хаткевич

You cannot delete this. Simple a that.

HGjunkie

I have to wonder, what does "deleate" mean?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Major Lord

Wouldn't that be sweet if we could just go back and erase some of the old things we said or did? Sorry, lad, its now in your permanent record. No " do-overs."

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

Some more advice. Go back and pay attention in English class, or make the best of the remaining ones you have coming.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 17, 2011, 12:36:29 AM
Then he can 2B you and inflict the appropriate corporal punishment.

My dad was my Scoutmaster when I was a Scout.  It wasn't fun.  I had a rougher time than anyone else in the troop...I suppose it was him trying to prove he wasn't being partial to his kid.

One thing I try to emphasise to our cadets, almost ad nauseam, is that NOTHING you post or say on the Internet (including here) is truly "private."

Try and heed a2capt's advice...the "texting" era has made a butchery of the language.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on September 21, 2011, 05:31:41 PMOne thing I try to emphasise to our cadets, almost ad nauseam, is that NOTHING you post or say on the Internet (including here) is truly "private."

One could make the argument that no lesson was learned in the discipline, and that further "explanation" is necessary.  Someone who
gets himself in trouble for online behavior, then causes further issues regarding the same subject and situation in a different forum clearly
doesn't understand the nature and inter-connectivity of these forums, much less Facebook, Google, etc.

Not exactly "lesson learned, move on".

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

Posting stuff on the internet is like saying something in public. Some people take longer than others to learn this.

By the way, Facebook privacy to avoid getting caught does not seem right with the core values to me. Just saying.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

majdomke

If you would just read your email notifications they clearly state:

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link:

There is also a button at the bottom of the page Unnotify

HGjunkie

Quote from: N Harmon on September 21, 2011, 05:47:39 PM
By the way, Facebook privacy to avoid getting caught does not seem right with the core values to me. Just saying.

I'm having trouble following the notion of not having your page wide open for people to see to be against the core values.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

lordmonar

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 21, 2011, 07:23:12 PM

I'm having trouble following the notion of not having your page wide open for people to see to be against the core values.
If you are ONLY locking down your page so you can bad mouth your peers or otherwise say things you should not......then you are violating the core values of integrity and respect.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

HGjunkie

Quote from: lordmonar on September 21, 2011, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on September 21, 2011, 07:23:12 PM

If you are ONLY locking down your page so you can bad mouth your peers or otherwise say things you should not......then you are violating the core values of integrity and respect.

Which, really, isn't the big issue. If you have a cadet bad-mouthing other people in CAP, regardless of privacy settings there's a core value problem.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

majdomke

I've heard of an issue on FB where one of the cadet staff noticed a post by a cadet where he/she was holding up a bottle of alcohol in celebration. When he/she called him/her on it, they un-friended them. Seems to be a constant occurrence where cadets and seniors forget they are bound to the code of conduct or core values, even when not in uniform or at CAP activities. Otherwise, what's the point of swearing an oath if you only mean for that oath to apply once a week for a couple hours.

N Harmon

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 21, 2011, 07:23:12 PMI'm having trouble following the notion of not having your page wide open for people to see to be against the core values.

You probably did not mean it in the manner it came across, but after the OP expressed regret about bad-mouthing people on Facebook you replied "That's why I keep my privacy settings set to[...]".  Obviously you get it why privacy settings do not absolve you of the core values, so nothing more need be said.

I would also like to add that sometimes privacy is necessary to discuss things frankly with someone. Social networking websites are not the appropriate avenue for such conversations. E-mail is only marginally better.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

jman5222

Just as an FYI to everyone, the privacy settings, sometimes don't work.  Sometimes people can still see what you have said, even if its in a private chat.

HGjunkie

Quote from: jman5222 on September 26, 2011, 09:55:17 PM
Just as an FYI to everyone, the privacy settings, sometimes don't work.  Sometimes people can still see what you have said, even if its in a private chat.

I'd like to see some sort of proof for that.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

You're absolutely right. When you post it on a public forum like CAP Talk, it is no longer a truly private matter.

::)

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 26, 2011, 10:01:43 PM

I'd like to see some sort of proof for that.

It's not an issue of what is (or isn't) "private" today, it's what might be tomorrow.  Zukerberg changes the TOS so often you literally need a scorecard to
keep up, and nothing, absolutely nothing, you put in there is shielded from the purveyors of soap.  It might be anonymized, but it isn't a secret internally.

You could very well wake up tomorrow to find Marie-Mark has decided that all your base are belong to him, and wide open for all to see.
You get what you pay for, which is one of twelve reasons why Facebook messaging was such a joke.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyboy53

True.

The unfortunate lesson for this cadet is that once you post something on the Internet, it's public and goes EVERYWHERE!

The real lesson here is one of restraint, computer etiquette, and not to participate in what is essentially cyber bullying.