ISS could be abdonended in November

Started by MikeD, August 29, 2011, 05:18:07 AM

MikeD

The ISS could be abandoned in November due to the Soyuz cargo launch failure due to a 3rd stage issue.  Components of the 3rd stage are shared with the crewed Soyuz launch vehicle.  Soyuz is the only vehicle capable of sending crew to station currently, and probably for at least 1-2 years.  The two docked at station have a limited "shelf life" and their stay in orbit can't really be extended. 
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/station/exp28/110827unmannedops/

Also, if you're wondering, it's now WAY too late to bring Shuttle back, again at best 2 years+ to do another flight.  A very sad moment for human space flight.

DC

Figures. We retire the Shuttle and Soyuz promptly goes tango uniform. I wonder if the Chinese can help us out?  ::)

arajca

DakRadz

I know certain military contractors are working on "pay per seat" replacements that could dock up in space. However, Iunno exactly what I'm allowed to talk about, or to what extent. I saw a lot of cool things, though. Amazingly awesome.

And I got inside a full scale mockup. Oh yes.

davidsinn

Quote from: arajca on August 30, 2011, 03:40:36 AM
Commercial Service.

I didn't realize they were ready for prime time. Why are we jacking around with Orion when we could just buy that thing?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

http://www.spacedev.com/space_exploration.php

This is pretty far along as well. See my previous post, got to see the molds for fuselage/craft and also the full size mockup.

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on August 30, 2011, 04:05:20 AM

This is pretty far along as well. See my previous post, got to see the molds for fuselage/craft and also the full size mockup.

Well that's an interesting turn of events. The US copying a Russian craft... That looks like Kliper. They're really putting windows that big on it?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

Quote from: davidsinn on August 30, 2011, 04:15:10 AM

Well that's an interesting turn of events. The US copying a Russian craft... That looks like Kliper. They're really putting windows that big on it?
Yep. With cargo room for about 8-16 (can't remember the exact seat arrangement).

Nice to know they've put so much on the web about it, now I know what to share. Not that I think I'm all "super cleared Top Secret man" but it is a sensitive area/field.

DC

Quote from: davidsinn on August 30, 2011, 03:58:12 AM
Commercial Service.

I didn't realize they were ready for prime time. Why are we jacking around with Orion when we could just buy that thing?
They are due to send a load of cargo up later this year to the ISS, with manned missions possibly beginning in 2013, last I heard.

MikeD

Quote from: davidsinn on August 30, 2011, 03:58:12 AM
Commercial Service.

Orion is supposed to be for the Moon, and a component of "Mars and Beyond".  The bigger question is why were we jacking around with Ares when we could have gone Delta or Atlas?  Follow the money, direct to a state's congressional delegation that said publicly they don't care if NASA's new rocket works or not, as long as it's built in their state.  See also the replacement, known to many as the "Senate Launch System".  Congress is trying to design the rocket.  There's your problem, right there.  Just tell NASA where to go and let the real rocket engineers get the best rocket designed for the mission!  <blood pressure rising, attempts deep breathing>. 

mjbernier

Quote from: DakRadz on August 30, 2011, 04:23:35 AM

Yep. With cargo room for about 8-16 (can't remember the exact seat arrangement).

Nice to know they've put so much on the web about it, now I know what to share. Not that I think I'm all "super cleared Top Secret man" but it is a sensitive area/field.

I think Dreamchaser is built for 8 (two crew and six passengers). Yes, it started as a reverse-engineered model of a small Soviet vehicle called BOR-4, and NASA built a copy called the HL-10 to test the aerodynamics of the design. It worked great, and they planned for a HL-20 (which is what Dreamchaser is based on) and even a HL-40 as scaled-up versions of the HL-10. The goal was to use the HL-20 for ferrying passengers and small cargo to the ISS for a lower cost than the Shuttle (the HL-20 could actually fit inside the Shuttle's cargo bay). The money never came, and it was put on the shelf for years until the Dreamchaser folks picked it up. They are planning to use an Atlas to launch it (just as soon as it can be man-rated, whatever that means these days). Probably another couple of years away.

Regarding SpaceX and their Dragon vehicle, they are planning their next test flight in November (which is expected to include a docking at the ISS), and regular cargo flights to start early next year. It was designed from the outset to be man-rated, as well as their launch vehicle, the Falcon 9...and their CEO has said they could have a manned version ready to go within 2-3 years (the biggest obstacle is developing a launch escape system that NASA will be happy with).

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

davidsinn

Quote from: mjbernier on September 17, 2011, 04:28:35 AM
(the biggest obstacle is developing a launch escape system that NASA will be happy with).

I think that's just an excuse to not use a private launcher. After all NASA themselves have not had a launch escape system in 40 years.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MikeD

Quote from: mjbernier on September 17, 2011, 04:28:35 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on August 30, 2011, 04:23:35 AM

I think Dreamchaser is built for 8 (two crew and six passengers). Yes, it started as a reverse-engineered model of a small Soviet vehicle called BOR-4, and NASA built a copy called the HL-10 to test the aerodynamics of the design. It worked great, and they planned for a HL-20 (which is what Dreamchaser is based on) and even a HL-40 as scaled-up versions of the HL-10. The goal was to use the HL-20 for ferrying passengers and small cargo to the ISS for a lower cost than the Shuttle (the HL-20 could actually fit inside the Shuttle's cargo bay). The money never came, and it was put on the shelf for years until the Dreamchaser folks picked it up. They are planning to use an Atlas to launch it (just as soon as it can be man-rated, whatever that means these days). Probably another couple of years away.

Regarding SpaceX and their Dragon vehicle, they are planning their next test flight in November (which is expected to include a docking at the ISS), and regular cargo flights to start early next year. It was designed from the outset to be man-rated, as well as their launch vehicle, the Falcon 9...and their CEO has said they could have a manned version ready to go within 2-3 years (the biggest obstacle is developing a launch escape system that NASA will be happy with).

Mike

[Citation Needed]. As far as I know the lifting body was an American innovation, out of researchers in some combination at Ames, Dryden and maybe Langley, including Dale Reed, who did the work that lead to the under the table assembly and flight test of the M2-F1 lifting body, which was flown multiple times before NASA HQ even knew about it.  The follow-on rocket powered lifting bodies included the M2-F2 and F3, HL-10, and X-24A and B, all of which were dropped from B-52 Balls 8 (same as the X-15).  I'm pretty sure BOR-4 flew after all of the US lifting bodies.

The crash of the M2-F2 was featured in the intro to the Six Million Dollar Man.

A LAS for spam in a can like Dragon is pretty simple.  Where it gets interesting is for a lifting body.