How can we work with Amber?

Started by isuhawkeye, January 12, 2007, 03:55:29 PM

SAR-EMT1

I will support this provided that as part of our CAP firearms training, Mission Obervers are trained in the use of the Barrett .50 rifle.  This would be so that we could shoot out the engines just like the CG does to drug running speedboats.
;D :clap: ;)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

smj58501

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2007, 04:57:28 AM
I will support this provided that as part of our CAP firearms training, Mission Obervers are trained in the use of the Barrett .50 rifle.  This would be so that we could shoot out the engines just like the CG does to drug running speedboats.
;D :clap: ;)

As volunteers, we don't have much time for marksmanship training. It would be better if we just used the full auto M2 .50 cal machine gun. That way all the observer or scanner would need to do is spray the target, which takes less instruction than actual sniper-type training. Collateral damage aside, this method would probably be successful at stopping the subject.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Besides, I think you can get a Ma Deuce cheaper than a Barrett.

But:  Weight of typical CAP aircrewman:  200 pounds

Times 3 crewmen:                                    600 Pounds.

Plus 110 pound M-2 (empty)                   710 pounds.

Plus 1 box 50 caliber ammo, 35 pounds  745 pounds.

We are already over the maximum full-fuel gross payload of a Skyhawk.  Either get skinnier pilots or switch to the 46 pound M-60.  Or both.
Another former CAP officer

SAR-EMT1

We couldn't use the MA Deuce ( much as I love it) OR the 60 OR the SAW:
An Amber Alert mission would require keeping the kid alive!
SECOND: Wouldn't the firing of the M2 have a negative impact on the actual flight characteristics of the Cessna? AE- shake control cables loose, roll the plane etc... ::)

I GOT IT: the "media" is actually reporting the Air Force at Moody successfully tested a "RAY GUN" they actually called it a 'ray gun'! - Why it wasn't the ARMY testing this I have no clue. But anyway CAP Cessna's would be the PERFECT Test platform for this NEW RAY GUN!!!  ;D

We should now commence an authoritative discussion on how to incorporate Starfleet insignia onto the CAP flight suit.  :angel: :P :D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

JohnKachenmeister

I'm not sure what damage or flight characteristic changes would occur with firing a M2 in flight in a C-172.  Probably damage to whatever aluminum thing its mounted to would be the first result.

Which reminds me... I didn't add in the weight of the mounting hardware.

"Keep the kid alive" indeed!  You know, I've had it up to HERE with all of these silly rules!
Another former CAP officer

SAR-EMT1

How much would this ray gun weigh in at?
And how much would mounting hardware be for it or the Ma Deuce?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328