MA Wing Looses ELT Search Mission to State Police Air Wing?

Started by RADIOMAN015, July 02, 2011, 04:47:35 PM

RADIOMAN015

Interesting information on the Massachusetts State Police Air Wing's website:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Homeland+Security+%26+Emergency+Response&L2=Response&L3=Emergency+Tactical+%26+Response+Teams&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=msp_units_msp_airwing&csid=Eeops

.......The Massachusetts State Police Air Wing responds to more than 1900 mission requests annually and is one of the Commonwealth's most versatile assets. Aircrews are routinely called on to work in collaboration with state and local incident commanders to search for wanted, missing, or endangered persons, to conduct airborne incident and scene assessment, aerial photography, or investigative support and surveillance. Utilizing specialized onboard equipment the aircrew can provide on-scene incident commanders with real time video imagery   and a Common Operating Picture. Because of this capability, the Air Wing is an almost constant presence over any large public gathering, disaster response, technical rescue, or tactical incident. Electronic tracking equipment makes the aircraft a key player in the recovery of stolen vehicles and when responding to emergency locator transmitters (ELT) from downed aircraft or individuals in distress.......

Likely this may be more public relations than actual, BUT on the other hand for any night time (darkness) ops with FLIR and large spot lights capabilities, this may be the best alternative to employ even by CAP IC's.

RM 

cap235629

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 02, 2011, 04:47:35 PM
Interesting information on the Massachusetts State Police Air Wing's website:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Homeland+Security+%26+Emergency+Response&L2=Response&L3=Emergency+Tactical+%26+Response+Teams&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=msp_units_msp_airwing&csid=Eeops

.......The Massachusetts State Police Air Wing responds to more than 1900 mission requests annually and is one of the Commonwealth's most versatile assets. Aircrews are routinely called on to work in collaboration with state and local incident commanders to search for wanted, missing, or endangered persons, to conduct airborne incident and scene assessment, aerial photography, or investigative support and surveillance. Utilizing specialized onboard equipment the aircrew can provide on-scene incident commanders with real time video imagery   and a Common Operating Picture. Because of this capability, the Air Wing is an almost constant presence over any large public gathering, disaster response, technical rescue, or tactical incident. Electronic tracking equipment makes the aircraft a key player in the recovery of stolen vehicles and when responding to emergency locator transmitters (ELT) from downed aircraft or individuals in distress.......

Likely this may be more public relations than actual, BUT on the other hand for any night time (darkness) ops with FLIR and large spot lights capabilities, this may be the best alternative to employ even by CAP IC's.

RM

What it means is they have th LE version of the Becker
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

It also doesn't mean they have replaced anyone, unless you actually know that the state is requiring AFRCC to call them instead of CAP.

Lots of LEA's have DF gear, some don't even know why.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Maybe they got tired of a certain Senior Member from the Westover Composite Squadron self-deploying and calling the tower.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

MSG Mac

It's more likely they are justifying buying the equipment and using it for what it was intended. Especially when states are cutting back on ancillary services.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: cap235629 on July 02, 2011, 06:32:29 PM
Maybe they got tired of a certain Senior Member from the Westover Composite Squadron self-deploying and calling the tower.
Bill, I've heard that that squadron is the one of the best units in the wing 8)  BTW that "certain" senior member is always on his/her best behavior ;),  He/She doesn't want loose their opportunity for promotion to LtCol :angel:  No one ever calls ANY military control tower on the telephone BUT does have access to the tower via a portable VHF aero radio if it becomes necessary in an emergency (can only use the ground control frequency).  Generally military base operations (dispatcher section) is best to call on any military base via the phone because they are aware of any issues on the airport and can do the appropriate coordination that might be required.   

The state police air wing (along with the civilian ground search & rescue coordinator for the entire state) is located at Westover ARB (metro civilian airport side in a new hanger).  Actually, they are fine group of people to deal with, and about 9 months ago got a new helicopter that they've been busy working all the crews to get qualified on.  My understanding is they are very interested in giving tours of their helos to CAP cadets -- hopefully it's something that all the CAP squadrons in the wing will take advantage of since there's three air bases.  Also my understanding is some of the wing's pilots and IC's are involved professional with public safety so they know some of the aircrews in the state air wing. 

My personal feeling is IF there was a night time mission with a strong potential of a downed aircraft versus the typical wing mission for finding a malfunctioning ELT/EPIRB/PLB, they would be a good partner for the Wing.  Wing aircraft could initially box in the signal and the State PD with FLIR and spot lights could be deployed to actually find it.

BTW on witnessed or subsequently found aircraft crashes the state PD aero wing always responds (weather permitting).

Regarding the entire ELT hunting missions, it will be interesting to see what/IF anything changes in the future.   It actually could be similar to the USCG which once they determine there's no true emergency (e.g. boat in dock area) hand it off to CAP ground UDF teams.  Likely though it's too expensive for them to chase most ELT's down.

RM             

a2capt

.. the gas for that helicopter? ..

that behavior won't Keep Working forever.

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on July 02, 2011, 08:43:12 PM
.. the gas for that helicopter? ..

that behavior won't Keep Working forever.

Cheaper to feed a Robertson then a Cessna...

sarmed1

Quote from: Eclipse on July 02, 2011, 06:18:13 PM
....Lots of LEA's have DF gear, some don't even know why.

When I lived in AZ, the State DPS ran 3 rescue helicopters.  Did some ride time with the local and found out they were in the same boat....they had an L-per and had no idea how to operate it (actually had ground antena's as well.  We hooked them up with some classroom and hands on training.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SABRE17

This might have something to do with the email i received from the assigned IC, stating he was unable to run the mission. Perhaps some one somewhere got impatient and said what ever the "staties" are in the air call them.

AngelWings

Welcome to the M[censored]. Somebody always has to look cool. Deval Patrick using tax-payer money to buy all new office interior and a nice Cadillac, to now the State Police having to keep up their image, and push us completely aside like an email going into mark has read even though it is offering something great if you read it.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on July 03, 2011, 04:17:29 PM
I'm trying to figure out what "M[censored]" is.
It is a compound word with the first being the other name for a donkey and the last part being hole. It got censored for salty language.-

Eclipse

Heh - that's actually kind of funny.

Mike will yell at us now.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

as a native born [Filter Subversion] I can relate to the term but still can't figure out what he was trying to say........
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: cap235629 on July 03, 2011, 05:57:27 PM
as a native born [Filter Subversion] I can relate to the term but still can't figure out what he was trying to say........
Which part? I translate/rephrase what I said if you tell me.

cap235629

Quote from: Littleguy on July 03, 2011, 07:30:09 PM

I was born in Winchester and raised in Billerica.  I also spent 5 years walking a beat in the housing projects in Boston.  My brother lives in Dorchester and with all of the experience I have with "Bahstin" English I can still not understand a thing that was written
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: cap235629 on July 03, 2011, 07:35:52 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on July 03, 2011, 07:30:09 PM

I was born in Winchester and raised in Billerica.  I also spent 5 years walking a beat in the housing projects in Boston.  My brother lives in Dorchester and with all of the experience I have with "Bahstin" English I can still not understand a thing that was written
I was saying that alot of people in MA who have authority try too hard to keep up appearences. Like Deval using taxpayer money to make his office and ride look better and the State Police ignoring our mission capabilites to make themselves look like the only people in state capable of doing such missions.

SABRE17

Well with all due respect to the Massachusetts state police, they didn't find any darn ELT, Coastal Patrol Sq 18 did, I know, because I was the one who fished the ELT out of the dumpster in Falmouth...

AngelWings

Quote from: SABRE17 on July 04, 2011, 02:43:54 AM
Well with all due respect to the Massachusetts state police, they didn't find any darn ELT, Coastal Patrol Sq 18 did, I know, because I was the one who fished the ELT out of the dumpster in Falmouth...
Which makes my point valid. They don't get that we are very useful, either that or they are trying to hog all the attention to look cool for some weird reason.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: SABRE17 on July 04, 2011, 02:43:54 AM

Typically the state police do have helicopters on some random & directed patrols daily (you can monitor them via a radio scanner equipment, on the state police 800 mhz radio trunking system statewide due to the talk group utilized which transmits at all radio sites) so conceivably could pickup an ELT.  I don't think they have the ground DF equipment, so CAP would likely be called anyways.

RM

ammotrucker

I don't think that I would call that losing the ELT search missions.  It is not a requirement that CAP do these missions.  Each state has there own protocol.  Here in Florida it is the responsibility of each County to do.  They may tell NOC or AFRCC that they don't want them, but in reality it is there responsibility.  I know that they are the first to get going if it is known or perceived as life threatening, because they want the glory trip.
RG Little, Capt

jeders

Not really seeing any problems here, maybe I'm blind though.

In Texas, DPS is responsible for ELT searches and they usually take the lead for the first few hours. Then when it gets dark or they get bored, we get called. You're not losing all ELT missions, you might lose a few, but if that means that an ELT gets turned off sooner, great. But there'll still be plenty of missions for CAP. And possibly even using CAP to train the State Police in the use of the equipment and search techniques.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: RiverAux on July 05, 2011, 06:35:08 PM
Whats an ELT mission?   :'(

+100

Soon we will tell stories of WIWA_ (fill in the blank) how we used to get up in the middle of the night to track these strange warbling tones in 121.5