Main Menu

Golden Pip

Started by sneakers, June 05, 2011, 05:23:56 AM

sneakers

I recently became the cadet commander of my squadron. As part of the change of command, I have been given a box that has been passed down from cadet commander to cadet commander for many years. There is a lot of history in the box, and momentos from previous commanders. One item in there is a golden pip.

I have looked online here and find some discussion of the golden pip, but not what grade it was for and when/why it was phased out. Could you please help me understand it?

Майор Хаткевич

The Golden Pip was for C/Flight Officer.

It was the grade that you earned upon getting the Mitchell Award.

Phased out...90s?

SarDragon

Actually, depending on how far back that specific item, it could have been a Cadet Warrant Officer insignia, which was instituted in 1968. It became Cadet Flight Officer (C/FO) sometime between 1983 and 1987. C/FO was still around in the 1997 version of CAPM 39-1.

I still have mine from 1968.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

major pain

i was a golden pipper!
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

FW

Quote from: SarDragon on June 05, 2011, 06:29:54 AM
Actually, depending on how far back that specific item, it could have been a Cadet Warrant Officer insignia, which was instituted in 1968. It became Cadet Flight Officer (C/FO) sometime between 1983 and 1987. C/FO was still around in the 1997 version of CAPM 39-1.

I still have mine from 1968.

The dates seem about right to me.  I got mine in 1969.

ol'fido

I have my gold pip in my collection. I would like to get a cloth one on ultramarine blue. I actually have a cloth gold pip embroidered on khaki cloth that was in some old indignia my former squadron commander gave me.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Stonewall

I still have my gold pip as well as a fatigue jacket with it sewn on.

Ah the good old days, when being a cadet officer meant lots of beatings, push-ups, abuse and no CPPT.
Serving since 1987.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I got my Mitchell on 29 Feb 1984 and it came with the golden pip and C/WO. I wore it to COS that year.

abdsp51

i received mine in 96 and it was presented by the National commander while I was in Germany. 

GroundHawg

AlphaSigOU

Got my gold pip C/WO in April 1981. If I remember correctly, the grade designation changed to cadet flight officer (C/FO) around 1985 and it flew off into the sunset around 2003 when the new cadet enlisted supergrades (C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt) were introduced.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Dracosbane

I was a golden pipper.  C/FO in the mid to late 90s.  I always wondered why they didn't use the gold pip as C/2Lt, the silver as C/1Lt and the two silvers as C/Cpt.  I guess that's too close to mil rank.

Hill CAP

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 06, 2011, 12:57:10 AM
Got my gold pip C/WO in April 1981. If I remember correctly, the grade designation changed to cadet flight officer (C/FO) around 1985 and it flew off into the sunset around 2003 when the new cadet enlisted supergrades (C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt) were introduced.

The change from C/FO to C/2d Lt was 1 Aug 1999. I was awarded Mitchell #45428 on 28 Jul 1999 and my squadron commander asked if I wanted to wait till after the switch before sending in my mitchell paperwork. Which I didn't so I guess I can say I was one of the few C/FO still Awarded before 1 Aug 1999
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

sneakers

Thanks everyone. I'm still digging through the box. There's a lot in it. One of the coolest traditions is that every cadet commander puts their nametape in the box when they leave the squadron. Pretty neat to see all those nametapes.

caphornbuckle

Quote from: pilot2b on June 06, 2011, 03:09:43 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm still digging through the box. There's a lot in it. One of the coolest traditions is that every cadet commander puts their nametape in the box when they leave the squadron. Pretty neat to see all those nametapes.

Gold Pipper here as well in the early 90's.

Your box is an awesome idea!  I wish I thought of something like that back during my C/CC days.  Don't let anything happen to it!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

jeders

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 06, 2011, 12:57:10 AM

I think the gold pip went by-by in the '99-'00 time frame. I joined fall of '00 and remember during a class on leadership ch 1, the instructor was mentioning the recent changes in the rank structure and that C/FO and the gold pip were gone.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Al Sayre

Got my gold pip in '78, and a bus driver hat to go with it.  Man, we were the epitome of cool back then... ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

majdomke

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 06, 2011, 01:00:27 PM
Got my gold pip in '78, and a bus driver hat to go with it.  Man, we were the epitome of cool back then... ;D
8)
C/WO 1984

HGjunkie

Maybe if there was a gold pip nowadays, more chiefs would promote to Lt... just sayin'.  :angel:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Senior

I was a Golden Pip(C/FO) in '88.  I wish I still had mine.  We gave our rank to the junior officers as we advanced in my squadron.

HG.  It really isn't about the color of rank.  It is about the person's drive.  I also believe that cadets need to be told over and over again that the completion of the cadet program occurs when you receive the Spaatz Award, not the Mitchell, Earhart or Eaker.  I understand that some cadets move on or time out, but you should always try to advance to the next milestone.

JC004

I knew what this would be from the topic title.  I remember many a golden pip as a cadet.

jimmydeanno

I remember getting my Mitchell in 1998.  At the time, three other cadets in my squadron got them the same day.  We were all promoted to C/FO.

I worked my tail off to get through the two achievements between C/FO and C/2d Lt, while my peers did nothing to advance.

I completed the two achievements and got promoted to C/2d Lt.  My peers still hadn't begun working towards it. 

Then, the phase out date for C/FO happened and they were all instantly promoted to C/2d Lt.  I was a bit aggravated, to say the least.  However, my drive brought me through the Eaker in the minimum time, while only one of my peers earned the Earhart.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

m981

c/wo Nov 74, unnumbered Mitchell, worn on epaulets, heard they went on boards much later on.
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

LTC Don

c/WO, late 1982, Colorado Springs Cadet Squadron   8)

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Flying Pig

C/FO R. Steht.  1991

Ned

Quote from: m981 on June 08, 2011, 10:44:53 AM
c/wo Nov 74, unnumbered Mitchell, worn on epaulets, heard they went on boards much later on.

Also C/WO early 70's.  At the time, C/WO went on the collar.  Shoulder boards were reserved for C/2dLt and above.

And both cadet and senior WOs were addressed as "Mister."  (Including the women, since the reg was explicit and did not seem to anticipate female warrant officers.  ;) )

Persona non grata

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JBC

Quote from: Dracosbane on June 06, 2011, 02:54:00 AM
I was a golden pipper.  C/FO in the mid to late 90s.  I always wondered why they didn't use the gold pip as C/2Lt, the silver as C/1Lt and the two silvers as C/Cpt.  I guess that's too close to mil rank.
No its because we have to hijack the army rotc ranks for some strange reason.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JBC on July 26, 2011, 11:20:16 PM

I was always under the impression ROTC took OUR grade insignia, not the other way around. 

SarDragon

Quote from: JBC on July 26, 2011, 11:20:16 PM

Hijack? That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Does that mean all the police and fire department members shouldn't be wearing the same rank insignia that the military folks wear?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

C/WO, December 1971

wacapgh

Quote from: Ned on June 08, 2011, 03:54:05 PM
Quote from: m981 on June 08, 2011, 10:44:53 AM

Also C/WO early 70's.  At the time, C/WO went on the collar.  Shoulder boards were reserved for C/2dLt and above.

And both cadet and senior WOs were addressed as "Mister."  (Including the women, since the reg was explicit and did not seem to anticipate female warrant officers.  ;) )

I had forgotten about the no boards for Warrants rule back then!

Some good natured ribbing was had with "Shall be addressed as Mister"  ;D

C/WO, Jan 1978 (Unnumbered)

N Harmon

C/FO N. Harmon, 1996.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

ProdigalJim

C/WO 1981

LTC Robert S. Vankeuren Cadet Squadron
Syracuse NY (may it R.I.P.)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV