Main Menu

squadron dues

Started by MarkJ, May 18, 2011, 01:34:41 PM

peter rabbit

QuoteYou're supposed to be doing an annual financial plan and budget, and those dues should reflect that plan, with the requisite reports back to the membership, etc.

While units are required to have a budget and the finance committee to review it quarterly, I am not aware of a current requirement for financial information to be shared with the members. In my limited experience, the most that members usually see/hear is an occasional verbal report telling them how much the unit has and/or requests for donations for specific projects.

FW

There is no requirement to share financial data with the members however, it would be poor practce not to.  Any member who is interested should be allowed to "see the books".  I'm one member who likes to know where my money is going.

Eclipse

I meant "requisite" in the sharing of the plan and the progress, not the requirement to open the books.

However if you start treating unit finances like the Central States Pension Fund, you're going to start having different problems.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2011, 02:49:18 PM
I meant "requisite" in the sharing of the plan and the progress, not the requirement to open the books.

However if you start treating unit finances like the Central States Pension Fund, you're going to start having different problems.
Actually I think NOT providing a written report of expenditures to those contributing monthly/quarterly dues, actually is the reason there's "push back" on not wanting to increase dues or really not being happy with any dues.  We were doing this in the mid/late 1960's without a computer system BUT we are unwilling to policy wise now require this ??? Something is definitely wrong with the organization by not doing this :( >:(  (and again I emphasize this is for unit support money within the unit). 

Contrary to our audit statements showing millions of dollars, units pretty much fund themselves for most their operations.

I do have access to the books in my squadron BUT frankly I don't see what the big deal is in providing a monthly report that shows object of expense (e.g. supplies, telephone, computer) and program it was expensed for.  We are not talking about WHO got a check for what.   This should be a monthly report as well as fiscal year to date.   

As far as a yearly budget, I know my unit did one by the regulation requirements BUT it was never presented to the senior member staff at a meeting or as an email.  So was it just a paperwork exercise OR reality, I'm not sure :-\ :-[ :(.

Also IF specific members are contributing this own money by buying items for squadron operations I think this would be good to know from a total dollar amount (off the books report) and IF the member has no objection let the whole unit know who the individuals are.

Again this really gets down to organizational  transparency issue which the leadership want to have to the outside world known the financial books are fine (e.g. CPA statements certification & wing banker program), BUT yet won't ensure by required policy that at each level of command where the member is contributing to that levels operation that transparency exists at that level :(
RM         

ThatOneGuy

Our squadron does not charge any dues for their members, which I think we are one of the few squadrons in CO Wing who don't. We are thinking of making them soon though, since we are quite broke and our SMs have been paying for insignia and accessories like that out of their own pocket. We are just getting back on our feet, and I believe that having a budget for the squadron beyond what a SM has in their pocket would be a great idea.

Майор Хаткевич

Even if it comes from their pocket? :P

Why do SMs buy insignia for their units? I though individual cadets had to get their own...

jimmydeanno

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on May 23, 2011, 07:40:27 PM
Even if it comes from their pocket? :P

Why do SMs buy insignia for their units? I though individual cadets had to get their own...

Our squadron buys all the insignia for cadets.  We look at it like making an actor pay for their Oscar.  They worked hard to earn it, the least we can do it not charge them for the award.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Assuming no money tree, who is really paying for it?

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on May 23, 2011, 08:08:46 PM
Assuming no money tree, who is really paying for it?

If the Seniors are paying for the insignia, are they already, in effect, playing dues.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454