Squadron "Support Staff" - need advice/ideas

Started by onetimeoneplace, May 17, 2011, 02:19:16 AM

onetimeoneplace

So, about two weeks ago, I was informed that I was to be appointed as part of a new "Support Staff" that my squadron created. Essentially, to have a more productive meeting, flight time would be eliminated in favor of "Support Time"

The staff is outlined like this: There are three different "department heads" (I'm one of them), each dealing with three different elements: Personnel (recruitment and retention, logistics, supply of uniform items), Leadership (leadership fundamentals, D&C, PT), and Operations (Aero Ed, ES). During out "Support Time", we will take a group of cadets, and for a month at a time, teach them on these different matters. As a result, our squadron will act like a real Air Force squadron.

Other than that 30 minute timeframe, we will be element leaders in the "upper flight" of our squadron, motivating the cadets and being positive role models.

Now, there can be many (unanswered) questions that could be raised from what I've given so far, and that's why I've come to you, the CAPTalk community, for help and advice.

First off, we were told that we would have Staff privileges (being addressed by rank, sitting in the back for lectures, etc), and that we were only with our flight as element leaders for Opening and Closing Formations, and for that time in between, we would do our own things with Support Staff. However, we were also told that we would stay with the flight for the entire meeting.

Second, much of the things we have to do as Support Staff happen outside the 30 min. timeframe that we have for Support training. For example, we have to coordinate van transportation, assist with lessons, and work in uniform item supply, all of which has to happen during the meeting itself.

Third, during PT, we have to perform it with the squadron, unlike the other staff members, who lead it, and help the cadets struggling at exercises.

Fourth, we were given the time to prepare the cadets, but we were not specified as to when we would perform our duties.

Finally, I feel like as being element leaders, we would not be giving the other cadets in the upper flight a chance at leading. We had a leadership training flight that was just put up into Staff (I was part of that flight), and until these cadets are close to going to our wing's RCLS, there won't be another chance for some real hands-on leadership for these cadets. We have never had permanent element leaders (at least in the close to three years that I have been in CAP), so between now and when the leadership flight comes back, these cadets need some leadership experience, and therefore should be element leaders. They're already leading the flight in PT and D&C, so they're being given some experience, but not enough.

I have raised this issue up the chain of command multiple times, but all of those times, I have still been confused about the real workings of the Support Staff. We used to have a one-man Support Staff position, who would be separate from the rest of the flights in the squadron.

Can anyone give their advice or ideas on the situation? Thanks.
C/Capt Isaac McDermott, CAP
PAWG Basic Encampment 2009, Staff 2011 (PAO), Staff 2013 (Inspections)
Pennsylvania Wing
Tri-Wing Encampment Staff 2013 (Public Affairs OIC)
GTM3, UDF, MRO, FLM
NJWG RCLS 2010
Mitchell #60963
National Blue Beret 2010 + 2012, SUPTFC-MS 2012
Earhart #15947
Cadet Officer School 2013

MCRmy

just curious: what is your staff: corps ratio?
"I am not a ma'am!!!!"- MAWG 2007 Encampment

sneakers

ditto what MCRmy said. Also, does your squadron really need a "more productive meeting", or does your 1 man support staff feel overwhelmed, or is it more than that?

onetimeoneplace

Quote from: pilot2b on May 27, 2011, 03:52:43 AM
ditto what MCRmy said. Also, does your squadron really need a "more productive meeting", or does your 1 man support staff feel overwhelmed, or is it more than that?

We wanted a more productive meeting, because my squadron felt like flight time was being put to waste. We haven't had a support staff in a while; our previous "1 man support staff" left a while ago.

However, I feel that the element leader position is unnecessary in addition to our job. We have a lot of duties to do (ex. overhaul our squadron's website, develop and assist in aerospace lessons, etc.) that really should be done during the course of the entire meeting. When "support time" comes, the cadets can help us in our other duties. In addition, we are denied some staff privileges because of the element leader position.

I suggested to the higher level staff that the support staff be its own separate flight (with a commander that reports to the CDC). This would sorta model the staff structure at an Encampment, and I think that it would be much more efficient, and that we would get much more done to benefit the squadron.

By the way, we currently have 11 staff members (including support staff), and we usually have around 1.5-2x as many cadets as that at every meeting. However, we are expanding at a pretty good rate.
C/Capt Isaac McDermott, CAP
PAWG Basic Encampment 2009, Staff 2011 (PAO), Staff 2013 (Inspections)
Pennsylvania Wing
Tri-Wing Encampment Staff 2013 (Public Affairs OIC)
GTM3, UDF, MRO, FLM
NJWG RCLS 2010
Mitchell #60963
National Blue Beret 2010 + 2012, SUPTFC-MS 2012
Earhart #15947
Cadet Officer School 2013

sneakers

I'm intrigued by the idea of having a "support-staff flight". It does seem that that is a lot of support staff though. If time is being put to waste, form a colorguard/drill team, do calisthenics (beyond regular pt tests), get some guest speakers in (for example, I just arranged for a navy seal guest speaker, and we had a fighter pilot speak a while back), go on field trips from time to time at meetings (my squadron recently took a whole meeting to tour a horizon airlines facility), etc. I would advise against creating staff positions just to create staff positions, if that is what is being planned.

MCRmy

Flight time is an important part of meetings, though it doesn't need to be done weekly. It shouldn't be eliminated, maybe scaled back. Feed back is neccessary to successfully lead anyone. You can also use some flight time as mentoring time [see CAPP 52-6(E) Cadet Programs-Mentoring]. Our squadrons tries to schedule at least one flight time and one mentoring time per month. If you're trying to be more productive, give your cadets pop quizes. I give them to my cadets every now and then to make sure they pay attention to classes and are studying their memory work. If you have field trips or guest speakers, then leadership/ team work exercies or more classes.

From what you've said your Squadron is a good candidate to have a support staff flight overseen by the XO or CDC [CAPP52-15 Cadet Staff Handbook]. If you look at the scope of what needs to be done by support staff and element leaders it doesn't make sense to combine jobs.

If you're confused on the SOP for your squadron's support staff, request to have a staff meeting or a one-on-one with the cadet commander or CDC.
"I am not a ma'am!!!!"- MAWG 2007 Encampment

srg9832

First off I think your squadron is crazy for doing this. My squadron did it years ago and due to the increased responsibility on element leaders cadets were joining at a rate that they were dropping out. We literally exhausted our element leaders and no one ever moved up the chain of command and we lost everything we had. First of all my suggestion is to check out CAPR 20-1 page 44-47. This will tell you what the element leaders should be responsible for and for good reason. It's called a squad leader in the regulation. There are also other jobs listed in there. Element Leaders are responsible for ensuring element members satisfactorily perform drill, have good military bearing and increase morale of the element members. That is it nothing more nothing less.

One thing that I can't stress enough is that CAP is not the airforce. We are not paid and can quit whenever we want to. Restrictions like this is exactly why most squadrons fail. The airforce has element members who have jobs to do. In CAP that job is not maintnance or MP or anything like that it's to learn leadership. This is why we cannot operate CAP in this fasion. I've been in for 8 years and endured this kind of thought for many of those years. My squadron went from 50 cadets and 20 seniors to 3 active cadets and 1 active senior within the next two years. I will not doubt that given enough time you to will see a decrease in your squadrons membership numbers and especialy anything above airman. There are pamphlets that have suggestions and regulations that give guidance for a reason.

SarDragon

Quote from: srg9832 on August 09, 2011, 09:41:24 PMThe airforce has element members who have jobs to do.

Tell me more. I don't see how your parallel with the Air Force is working here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: srg9832 on August 09, 2011, 09:41:24 PMOne thing that I can't stress enough is that CAP is not the airforce.
Wait, what?

Quote from: srg9832 on August 09, 2011, 09:41:24 PM
We are not paid and can quit whenever we want to.
They told me the checks were being held up because of the Debt Ceiling thing!
Quote from: srg9832 on August 09, 2011, 09:41:24 PM
Restrictions Expectations like this is are exactly why mostany squadrons fail succeed.
Fixed that for you.

Quote from: srg9832 on August 09, 2011, 09:41:24 PMMy squadron went from 50 cadets and 20 seniors to 3 active cadets and 1 active senior within the next two years.
Which probably had more to do with cadets stressing how much they are "not the Air Force", than anything to do with an expectation that cadets help the unit with staff support.

"That Others May Zoom"