Need an Opinion

Started by Starlock, May 07, 2011, 02:36:51 AM

Starlock

Within my squadron, we had a first sergeant who served for three years and had promoted to 2d Lt in November of last year, following a change of command. The squadron was on a roll; I was directing drill and discussing uniform standards with cadets on a weekly basis while new cadets were being tutored in drill by another NCO. After the flight sgt promoted, no one was left for the role and there was a gap in who was what within the squadron. As of 1 1/2 months ago, I was put in as flight sergeant, and two weeks ago, we had a change of command again. Before then, I was raising the bar for cadets and being more of a by the book NCO. On one occasion, I had been told off (for what I thought) was an exchange with a senior Lt. Col. about something regarding Drill and Ceremonies, it was alright between he and I, but a SM Major took offense to it, and a discussion aside ensued. On the same day, I was told to not talk to a singular cadet who had been known to be disruptive, etc, but she initiated in something I found to be a safety hazard and did what was apparently the opposite of what I was told to do by telling her to stop goofing off and maintain and attitude of professionalism. I was dually threatened with getting my rank pulled/2B'd for those two things.
More recently, at the change of command, the new Sqn. Commander (same Major as previously stated) told me that the squadron would be stepping up in uniforms and drill, and I thought that was what I was attempting to do by using methods of teaching that I recently learned at the MOWG STW. According to our new deputy commander, I was being too strict and was demeaning them by attempting to inspect them with a quiet "pass" or "fail" and a checkmark in accordance to what I had said. Needless to say, the desired method was NOT met (intended for cadet to hand a scribe the sheet, he would pop off different uniform items, I would reply with a quiet "pass" or "fail", perhaps 15 seconds on one cadet), but instead due to confusion with flipping through papers to find the cadet being inspected and the scribe being confused on what was being inspected, it was elongated to 1:30 per cadet. I was told off after the meeting by the deputy commander that the term "fail" was unacceptable, trying to speak to cadets on their free time (I plead guilty to this), stumbling over "at ease" when a cadet was being disruptive during break time and accidentally saying "look forward, cadet", and apparently being too strict.
Roughly 2 hours ago, I received a mass e-mail to the squadron from the deputy commander regarding how poorly the inspection went and how it was his mistake for approving the inspection format. I replied with a lengthy, but respectful e-mail on how I would have planned to improve uniforms and standards within the squadron, and he replied to me by saying that I was being disrespectful and insubordinate to those in between his position and mine and compared my enthusiasm to a fire, saying that yes, in many ways it does us great good, BUT left to itself, uncontained properly, or running on its own initiative... it will turn to a wild fire and set a forest on fire, burn down a house or maim, disfigure and even kill. I am dually removed from my duty as flight sergeant, have no position within the squadron and I will go in front of a board of review come this Tuesday.
In the eyes of my fellow squadron NCOs, our two former commanders and myself, I was doing good to the squadron in raising standards and attempting to maintain a portrayal of professionalism among other things.
I'd like to hear what you guys' views on this are.

mclarke

Chain of command. If you feel you are in the right, you could go to the IG with your complaint and explain, requesting advice/help. Basically, your best bet is chain of command or the IG.

Starlock

davidsinn

Quote from: Starlock on May 07, 2011, 03:09:00 AM
IG?

Inspector General. I don't know if they would worry about an issue like this.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Starlock

But to you guys, who is in the wrong, or are we both wrong, or what?

JC004

Inspector General.  They are at the Group level and above.  Very basically, their job is to investigate things and deal with serious complaints outside the chain of command's normal method of operation (or non-operation).

Starlock

Would this be an appropriate matter to up to that level about? I'm honestly pondering what I should do.

Major Lord

Pulling the I.G. fire alarm  is a powerful card, and I would keep it in reserve for when you really need it. Being threatened with punitive personnel action (2B or demotion) is something that sets off alarm bells with me; Either you are way more out of control than you are letting on here, or you have a Senior Member who may be off the reservation.( Which I am sorry to say is all too common) Although its outside the chain of command, you might contact your Group Cadet Programs' Officer to request a "Staff assistance" visit if things are spiraling out of control at the SQ, and rules and reason don't apply any more. Also, please be aware that the methods used to teach an encampment are generally way too over the top for Squadron level activities. Its good that you learned a lot about Uniforms and marching, but the stress levels at encampment are intentionally and professionally controlled by a strict curricula ( well, they are supposed to be) Encampment, like Basic Military Training and other high intensity trainings, are fundamentally brainwashing. You are not qualified and don't have the resources to manage that kind of training at the Squadron level.

Good luck!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Starlock

I suppose... \: I suppose that encampments just hammer it into you hard enough that it just stays as your mindset. It's hard to maintain a less stressed persona within the squadron but be on your toes at encampments, etc...

Eclipse

For starters, don't blame this on "encampment persona" or any other such silly thing.  In CAP there should be no difference in your bearing, attitude, or demeanor between encampment and regular meetings.  If there is, either your unit is doing things too soft, or the encampment is doing them too hard.
Find the middle and stick with it.

As to the specifics, nothing above, at this point, is going to be IG-worthy or 2b material, it all sounds like typical miscommunication and unit politics, the kind of thing that happens with inexperienced leaders who do not chart a course clearly, or who are floundering to find a plan.  As an FYI, being a field grade officer makes you neither "experienced" nor necessarily a good leader.  It simply means you checked the boxes in front of the right people.

So, it is what it is.

You're going to have to accept any criticism coming your way for doing things like having contact with a cadet against direction, because you did it.  Why you did it won't make much difference.

As to the specifics of this drill and inspection nonsense, clearly you and the commander were not on the same page, again, why won't make much difference.  He said "x", you either heard "y", or heard "x" but felt your "y" was better.

I would suggest:

A: that before any "board of review" you have you parents contact your unit CC directly and discuss things on an adult, non-disciplinary level.
Why?   Because a BoR implies disciplinary action, and as such, they should be involved, and because if the outcome of the BoR is negative in your respect,  guarantee they will be calling him anyway.  Might as well get things going from here.

If your CC's response is anything in the vein of "I can't discuss this with you (them)...", it'll be time to move up the chain, because that is nonsense.

B: Be prepared to fall on your sword, apologize, and accept any constructive criticism offered and then act on it.  Be prepared to state yor case without emotion, and make it clear that you were only doing your best with unclear or conflicting direction. The reality is that all the foot-stomping and IG's in the world are not going to "fix" things if you get on the bad side of your CC, that's just the human factor.

This looks from the outside like a struggling unit trying to get back some forward momentum with a lot of chiefs and no one person charting the course, typical in CAP but not a god environment for young people to feel confident and thrive.

"That Others May Zoom"

Starlock

I haven't been having issues with the Sqn. commander as much as the Deputy Commander. The deputy commander is attempting to put into motion some "curriculum" which as I see it would do more harm than good. I actually took the time to write out an "algorithm" that I thought of in algebra regarding such things.:

i.e. Open/Close ranks, March
      ---->   For that we need to be familiarized with a set cadence and dress right, dress, two things I feel we as a squadron could improve on
      |   |   When we attempt to do Open/close ranks, march, we look somewhat disorganized and is futile
      |   |      Rockwood students, other recruits might see this
      |   |         Seldom get new recruits
      |       |
    |       v
      |   Standard falls
                ------------Cadets don't improve significantly / 2 weeks and full drill time on one command

Without curriculum
      Assigned to teach open/close ranks, march
         Learn dress right dress separately
         Learn to keep consistent timing separately
            Stronger cadence
               Learn open/close ranks faster
                  More time to improve on other commands
      |--------------------------->Standard rises
      |            Students, potential recruits see this
      |         Stronger possibility of them joining
      |      Larger squadron, more funding
      |   Better overall image
      -20 minutes (if even that) spent on the command

thatonekid

"Starlock" ;) you just need to chill, relax a little, CAP is suposed to be fun, dont freak out so much about every little thing, and just ignore her, she's not worth it.
C/MSgt Collins

Major Lord

Its also a well known and  scientifically proven fact* that Senior Member Majors are the salt of the earth, the backbone of CAP, and generally all around outstanding human beings who never error in personnel issues.

Major Lord

* From the American Journal of  Majors, a peer reviewed and well respected scientific journal consisting quite coincidentally entirely of CAP Majors
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Major Lord on May 28, 2011, 03:06:42 AM
Its also a well known and  scientifically proven fact* that Senior Member Majors are the salt of the earth, the backbone of CAP, and generally all around outstanding human beings who never error in personnel issues.

Major Lord

* From the American Journal of  Majors, a peer reviewed and well respected scientific journal consisting quite coincidentally entirely of CAP Majors

+1   :D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Flyinsarge

I would perhaps ask a different squadron commander if he would handle this situation in such a manner. And then maybe you could get some advice from him/her as well. Just my ideas....

sneakers

Do you have any senior members rather high up in the chain of command that back you?

Starlock

Eclipse

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on May 28, 2011, 12:03:06 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on May 28, 2011, 03:06:42 AM

Major Lord

+1   :D

I would also concur with that statement...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: pilot2b on May 29, 2011, 02:38:38 AM
Do you have any senior members rather high up in the chain of command that back you?

Quote from: Starlock on May 29, 2011, 05:52:44 PM
None.

Quote from: Starlock on May 07, 2011, 02:36:51 AMIn the eyes of my fellow squadron NCOs, our two former commanders and myself, I was doing good to the squadron in raising standards and attempting to maintain a portrayal of professionalism among other things.

Then you really have your answer, like it or not.   Former commanders are great, we all have at least one, and while in a perfect world we'd all benefit
from their years of experience, they are, without exception, all former for a reason - either the calendar caught up with them or their abilities were lacking - and in all cases someone above them felt it was "their turn".

Your best bet is to figure out which road he wants to take and follow it, to the point where your ability as a follower is
shown to be enough or an example that he may allow you to lead.

"That Others May Zoom"

sneakers

Agreed. It's not pleasant, but you will probably have to follow whatever plan is set before you. I've seen a lot of politics happen in a lot of different squadrons, and it's hard to fight. Prove yourself to the people who have common sense and a little bit of rank, and hopefully in the future it won't happen again.