what classes are we allowed/have to take from fema? other than the 700
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

HGjunkie

100,200,800, and I want to say 300.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SARDOC

You are allowed to take Any FEMA Class through their Emergency Management Institute.  For Some of the In residence schools you may have to meet some prerequisites.  You are not required to take any FEMA classes unless you intend on participating in Emergency Services, then at a Minimum you must take IS 100 and IS 700.  If you progress and advance into a leadership role in Emergency Services then you be required to take other classes...see the appropriate SQTR's for more information about the required course information.

So to Answer your question...it depends.

jks19714

Your state and local EMA's also host FEMA courses.  ICS300 and ICS400 are required in some of the ES leadership SQTRs. 

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Dad2-4

I completed all the non-classroom courses listed for CAP plus a few, particularly those that would be helpful for being on a schools safety and risk assessment team. Just something more to add to a resume.

manfredvonrichthofen

I have taken 100, 200, and 700 thus far and want to take much more, just don't have much time with everything else I am training on for CAP. I am almost done with GTM1 and then I am thinking about taking care of my SQTR for GBD but am not sure if I will be able to get my hands on a class for 300. It is tough to get FEMA classes locally.

EIDT: Changing terminology for FEMA course 300.

SARDOC

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 11, 2011, 12:22:20 AM
It is tough to get FEMA classes locally.

Check with the Training division of your closest Career Fire Department...or at least your county Emergency Management Office.  The either host them locally or at least some place reasonable where you can get them.  Not every agency advertises when they host a class but they usually freely accept professionals from other agencies because it's always good to network.

Spaceman3750

I have taken 100, 200, and 700 thus far and want to take much more, just don't have much time with everything else I am training on for CAP. I am almost done with GTM1 and then I am thinking about taking care of my SQTR for GBD but am not sure if I will be able to get my hands on a class for 300. It is tough to get FEMA classes locally.

You can do 300 and 400 in one week at NESA, hosted at sunny Camp Atturbury, IN. Assuming, of course, that you can get the time off work.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 11, 2011, 01:36:20 AM
You can do 300 and 400 in one week at NESA, hosted at sunny Camp Atturbury, IN. Assuming, of course, that you can get the time off work.
HA! Time off work is easy. The money is my issue.

cap235629

This is a concept that I TOTALLY disagree with.  300 and 400 are best when given in an environment with as many different agencies represented as possible.  Groupthink is actually covered in the classes.  There is so much more to these classes than checking off a box.  Do yourself a favor and take these classes when presented by another agency.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

argentip

Quote from: cap235629 on April 11, 2011, 02:53:41 AM
This is a concept that I TOTALLY disagree with.  300 and 400 are best when given in an environment with as many different agencies represented as possible.  Groupthink is actually covered in the classes.  There is so much more to these classes than checking off a box.  Do yourself a favor and take these classes when presented by another agency.

I totally agree.  I took both 300 and 400 through the County Homland Security Division in Michigan and the classes were both comprised of only CAP members, save 2 members from the local ARES/RACES group.  I think it would have been much more beneficial to get the perspective of other organizations.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

ol'fido

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 11, 2011, 01:44:25 AM
HA! Time off work is easy. The money is my issue.
Manfred,

Check out the Illinois Fire Service Institute website. Don't know how close you are to the border but the course is free and the instructors are very, very good. I took my 300 at Scott AFB and the 400 at a little tiny volunteer FD about six miles from the house. All it would cost you would be meals and a local motel for one night.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006