devices on mini medals

Started by starshippe, April 06, 2011, 01:51:03 AM

starshippe

. . i was under the impression that the one mini medal i was allowed on the dress blazer should have the same devices as my ribbon.
. . looking at the construction of the mini medal and its mounting plate, there is just no way to attach a star or clasp to the ribbon, unless the mounting pins are cut off and the device simply glued to the front of the ribbon.
. . is this what is usually done? should i just leave the devices off?

thanks,
bill

Pylon

Per CAPM 39-1, the devices go through and are centered vertically on the drape portion of the ribbon, not the top 1/2" that's on the mount.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

starshippe

. . that makes a lot more sense! lmao
. . still i have 3 devices, and even cutting the pins short is going to be a tight fit. has anyone had any luck with superglue?

thanks for the accurate, fast response,
bill

Eclipse

Press the pins through the ribbon like any other decoration and bend them over, snip excess, but that should not be necessary.

Superglue is as likely to run and ruin the material as do any good.

"That Others May Zoom"

starshippe

. . it worked. i cut the pins completely off the device, held it down with needlenose while i dremelled off the excess, then put a tiny spot of superglue on the mini medal, and dropped the device on right quick. i found that i had less than ten seconds of time before there wasn't going to be any more movement. on the last device i tried using the needlenose to place and hold it, and that worked fine.
. . the ribbon itself is only 0.7 inches wide, as opposed to the 1.4 inches of the normal ribbon, so as u can imagine, the two clasps hug the edge.
. . yes i was worried about the glue spreading so i only used a tiny dab. the less u use, tho, the quicker it seems to set.
. . this was easier than the prongs. u have a short bit of time to position the device, instead of being at the mercy of the holes.

thanks for the info and suggestion,
bill

flyboy53

Or you can take a hobby knife and carefully slice the minature medal ribbon horizontally, insert the device through the ribbon, and flatten the pins in back. A good clear multipurpose or wood glue dabbed behind the ribbon at the point of insert helps keep the device in place and helps keep the ribbon from fraying.

Otherwise, an old NCO Academy trick is to break the pins from the device and carefully attach it with multipurpose or wood glue dabbed sparingly on top of the ribbon.

There are several problems with gluing a ribbon device. If you use too much glue, it will spread and discolor the ribbon. It also isn't a guarantee that the device will hold and not fall off.

manfredvonrichthofen

VG is also supposed to carry a smaller size of attachments for the minimedals, but as I am sure everyone is aware... They don't carry everything they are supposed to carry. For the minimedals that have stars for attachments go over to the Army or Air Force sections and order the minimedal attachments.

James Shaw

You can use clear fabric glue that you can pick up at the local arts and crafts supply store or a Joanns fabrics store. I use it because it is fairly easy to put on and it dries clear. You do have to know that when you put any glue on the ribbon that it will ruin the ribbon when you go to take the attachment off.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

starshippe

. . vanguard helped me get the small silver star, but they did not mention a smaller clasp. so, i have the star and two normal sized clasps right next to each other across the 0.7 inches of ribbon. 
. . it will probably not be changing again any time soon.
. . i did find the superglue method a bit easier, and more accurate, than the prong method.
. . georgia wing conference, here i come.

thanks for the info,
bill

Persona non grata

- -.-- .--. . / -. --- .-. -- .- .-..

Regards,
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

MIKE

Didn't Pylon just say that the devices are oriented vertically on the mini medal drape?  So, if you are trying to put them on like a ribbon from left to right, you did it wrong.
Mike Johnston

starshippe

. . he said they were centered vertically, which i read as midway up the ribbon.

bill

.-.-.-   .-.-.-   - .... .. ...    .. ...   -. --- .-. -- .- .-..   .-.-.-   ..-   ... .... --- ..- .-.. -..   .. -. -.. . -. -   - .... .   ... - .- .-. -   --- ..-.   
. .- -.-. ....   .--. .- .-. .- --. .-. .- .--. ....   .-.-.-

vp2mec
vp2ees
cy9/k4tve

davidsinn

Quote from: starshippe on April 06, 2011, 06:25:20 PM
.-.-.-   .-.-.-   - .... .. ...    .. ...   -. --- .-. -- .- .-..   .-.-.-   ..-   ... .... --- ..- .-.. -..   .. -. -.. . -. -   - .... .   ... - .- .-. -   --- ..-.   
. .- -.-. ....   .--. .- .-. .- --. .-. .- .--. ....   .-.-.-

No, normal writing starts with capital letters and not two periods. Not the mess you put on the screen.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

.... . -.-- --..--   .. - ...   -- --- .-. .   ..-. ..- -.   - .... .- -.   .--. --- ... - .. -. --.   .. -.   .-. ..- ... ... .. .- -.

--- - --- .... --..--   ..   - .... .. -. -.-   -.-- --- ..-   .... .- ...- .   - ---   --. ---   --- ..- -   --- ..-.   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .-- .- -.--   - ---   .--. --- ... -   .... .- -- .   ... - -.-- .-.. . .-.-.-   -.. ---   -.-- --- ..-   .-- .-. .. - .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .-.. . - - . .-. ...   .- -. -..   --- - .... . .-.   -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -.   - ---   . ...- . .-. -.-- --- -. .   .-.. .. -.- .   - .... .. ...   .- .-.. ... --- ..--..

MIKE

Mike Johnston

starshippe

. . ok, new problem. i was perusing the 39-1 for the details on the mini, and altho i didn't find them, i did find a note that said that silver devices should be worn to the wearer's right. does that mean that the silver star should not be in the middle of the lifesaving ribbon, with 2 bronze stars?

. . the mcchord rack builder put it in the middle, so i did too. i have the silver v on my right of the bronze clasp on the pres disaster ribbon, having moved it over from the middle.

. . and the answer to the question i was asked is yes.

thanks,
bill

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: starshippe on April 06, 2011, 07:09:56 PM

. . ok, new problem. i was perusing the 39-1 for the details on the mini, and altho i didn't find them, i did find a note that said that silver devices should be worn to the wearer's right. does that mean that the silver star should not be in the middle of the lifesaving ribbon, with 2 bronze stars?

. . the mcchord rack builder put it in the middle, so i did too. i have the silver v on my right of the bronze clasp on the pres disaster ribbon, having moved it over from the middle.

. . and the answer to the question i was asked is yes.

thanks,
bill

On full size and miniature medals, the clasps are oriented vertically, with silver clasps/stars above any bronze clasps/stars, per AFI 36-2903, figure 4.2.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

starshippe

. . ah, good thing i have this forum, or i woulda looked funny.

. . now lets see just how easily that super glue lets loose! my guess is not real easily.

thanks!
bill

jimmydeanno

I saved a lot of time and money by not putting the attachments on.  Other than the top row, can anyone see them anyway? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 07, 2011, 02:58:40 AM
I saved a lot of time and money by not putting the attachments on.  Other than the top row, can anyone see them anyway?

Ditto. If I was REALLY pressed to do it I'd only show 'em on the top row.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040