Main Menu

PJOC Squadron Test

Started by Perez, February 24, 2011, 11:26:32 PM

Perez

I am currently training for PJOC, and hope to attend in 2012. Our squadron is setting aside some time every PT week to administer the pre-PJOC test. We've hit a snag in one area of the regs: the pull-up portion could potentially be a problem for the squadron to test. We don't have a pull-up bar at our squadron, and even though I can find a substitute, I'm not sure if it will meet the official standard.  The regs state Cadets will use only arms, chest and back muscles to accomplish this exercise.  "Cadet holds the pull-up bar, which is approximately eight feet high and is 1.5 inches in diameter. "

The dilemma is that even though I can get a substitute bard, it's not going to be 1.5 inches in diameter. The expensive solution would be to buy a mobile pull-up station, but I don't have the money to be spending on one of those. The regulations concerning the prior to PJOC PT test. So my question is:will it suffice to perform the practice test with a bar measuring less than 1.5 inches in diameter?
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

ol'fido

I don't think that the bar you practice with will make that much of a difference regarding diameter. You can either do the pullups or you can't. If it worries you a lot, use some foam rubber pipe inulation and duct tape to make it 1.5" But like I said, "Why????"
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Perez

My main concern isn't practicing pull-ups. I'm just not sure weather or not I will actually need the 1.5 inch bar for the official test that my squadron has to administer before the event.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

SarDragon

I think the size is set at that value to ensure that it is strong enough to handle the weight. One inch closet pole is marginally strong enough (roved that at my parents' house when I was a skinny teen). The fatter stuff should be OK, and it's available at Home Depot. A three foot section should be long, and strong, enough.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

chickenjoe

Sorry Im a newbie....What is a PJOC test?
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

coudano

we meet in a national guard armory, and they nicely have pullup bars right outside their side door
so every month after the cpft, we go out and line up and do as many pull ups as you can
not for score or anything, just for fun

we skip it in inclement weather, of course (especially cold/frozen)

commando1

Quote from: chickenjoe on March 13, 2011, 02:21:00 AM
Pararescue Jumper Orientation Course. Where cadets learn what it is like to be a Pararescue Jumper. It's like learning how to be a EMT that jumps out of airplanes into a active combat zone and having to fight to get to the people you are rescuing. Becuase of the job description it is a incredibly strenuous course and requires conditiong to make the cut. Thus the pull-ups. Hope I helped...  8)
Non Timebo Mala

DC

Quote from: chickenjoe on March 13, 2011, 02:21:00 AM
http://ncsas.com/index.cfm/pararescue_orientation_course?show=career_fair&careerFairID=3

The activity is physically intense, and would be participants are required to submit proof that they are capable of completing the activity by doing a special PT test that exceeds CPFT standards.

lordmonar

Read the standard again.....approximatly.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

If you can do the pulls up on a 2" or 1" bar you can do it on a 1.5" bar.

The important part is that their feet do not drag the ground between pull ups.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sneakers

Also, be sure not to swing back and forth. If you do that, the p.j.'s will just laugh at you...

DBlair

A good option for pullups would be the "Iron Gym" they sell online- and I've seen it at places like Walmart as well. This is ~$20 and fits on the top of the door frame and can be taken down when you are done.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander