Where to get green velcro for flightsuit

Started by Nav8tor, December 23, 2006, 10:47:30 AM

Nav8tor

Does anyone know of a good source for small quantities of green velcro?

I recently bought a nomex flight suit and all the patches required by regulations, but I can't find a source of velcro to use for attaching the patches. The local fabric stores that I've been to don't sell velcro in green, and all of the online sources I've found have minimum buys of 25 yards which would cost around $50.

shorning

Hawk200

Quote from: Nav8tor on December 23, 2006, 10:47:30 AM
Does anyone know of a good source for small quantities of green velcro?

I recently bought a nomex flight suit and all the patches required by regulations, but I can't find a source of velcro to use for attaching the patches. The local fabric stores that I've been to don't sell velcro in green, and all of the online sources I've found have minimum buys of 25 yards which would cost around $50.

The AF military clothing stores used to sell Velcro in a little box labeled "Attach A Patch". It was available in sage, tan, and black. Had about three feet of Velcro.

If you want it easy, just sew the patches on the flightsuit. You'll never have to worry about forgetting them.

lordmonar

It does not have to be green, if it the exact size and shape of the patch that you are going to put on it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Vanguard sells it - CAP0599W and CAP0599X - 4" x 12" piece for $2.10. That's cheaper than you'll find it most anywhere else.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nav8tor

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 23, 2006, 05:04:31 PM

The AF military clothing stores used to sell Velcro in a little box labeled "Attach A Patch". It was available in sage, tan, and black. Had about three feet of Velcro.

If you want it easy, just sew the patches on the flightsuit. You'll never have to worry about forgetting them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I googled "Attach A Patch" but all I came up with was a liquid adhesive.

As for sewing them on, thats an option, but I'd like to be able to have the fexibility to switch them between uniforms.

Nav8tor

Quote from: SarDragon on December 23, 2006, 07:56:42 PM
Vanguard sells it - CAP0599W and CAP0599X - 4" x 12" piece for $2.10. That's cheaper than you'll find it most anywhere else.

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for. This in one of those "DOH" moments. After I read your post I searched the vangaurd site for "Velcro" and came up with the two stock numbers you listed. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to do that before. Especially since I bought the patches from Vangaurd. It would have saved me on shipping too.

bosshawk

Re: sewing patches on flight suit or using velcro: with the propensity of CAP "leadership" to change what we wear on flight suits, strongly suggest using velcro.  In the long run, it will save you a bunch of sewing and holes in your flight suit.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Hawk200

Quote from: bosshawk on December 23, 2006, 08:56:54 PM
...with the propensity of CAP "leadership" to change what we wear on flight suits, strongly suggest using velcro. 

Sewed on my flag, used the Velcro that came with the command patch. Haven't put anything else on yet. The basic setup looks fine to me.

O-Rex

http://www.nametags4u.com/  they were the first to get a C&D from NHQ when they offered some pretty good CAP-specific stuff a few years back.

They now make military rating badges in white on ultramarine blue.

No restriction on Velcro, though.  They sell 4-inch wide velcro by the foot in OD green, Navy Blue, Tan, Black and "foliage" green (used for the ACU, but it's actually closer to the sage-green color of the flight suit.

I got a few feet of Navy Blue for a blue nomex flight suit I got from Aureus International http://www.aureusinternational.com/  for $195.00 (in case anyone is interested.)