forest fire spotting flights

Started by gordo07, January 20, 2011, 10:24:53 PM

gordo07

Do any other CAP units perform forest fire spotting missions? I am trying to organize/ put together some for southern AZ. I know Texas did for the big season they had back in 2006, and thats to them, I was able to find somethings online that they did as far as mission spins and ops plans go. 

So I'm asking for those of you that do them as well, especially in mountainous areas, what are some of the blanket rules of thumb for AGL that would give a good over look.  I do have expierence in spotting smokes since its part of my job on an engine in the "big green army", but I'm usually looking from the ground or a high point myself.

arajca

Contact your wing operations folks. They should have the answers you seek as well any issues that may pop up.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: gordo07 on January 20, 2011, 10:24:53 PM
Do any other CAP units perform forest fire spotting missions? I am trying to organize/ put together some for southern AZ. I know Texas did for the big season they had back in 2006, and thats to them, I was able to find somethings online that they did as far as mission spins and ops plans go. 

So I'm asking for those of you that do them as well, especially in mountainous areas, what are some of the blanket rules of thumb for AGL that would give a good over look.  I do have expierence in spotting smokes since its part of my job on an engine in the "big green army", but I'm usually looking from the ground or a high point myself.

New Hampshire Wing does fire patrol.  I've heard they have a few mountains, too.  Maybe contacting their DO might yield some information...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

sarmed1

Northwest Florida does almost daily fire patrol during the peak season over the Eglin AFB range,  other than the fact that the north part of the range (near crestview) is the highest part of the state, there is nothing close to any "mountianous" terrain.  The aircraft are out of usually Eglin or Pensacola squadrons, overall that should be Group 1 area. 

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

gordo07

I've talked with my Group Commander, and as our talks have gone, it seems like nobody at the wing level has really done anything like this.  So I've just been finding OPS Plans online and copy paste.