Bloom's Taxonomy in Aerospace Education

Started by Major Carrales, December 19, 2006, 11:09:43 PM

Major Carrales

I will be the first to tell you, as a certified teacher  >:D , that some 70% of the education theory taught in our Universities is BUNK  :o .  Much of it is either a rehash of something using different terminology and the rest is some overly "progressive" idea that works best in a small setting of isolated children  to the exclusion of OUTSIDE FACTORS such as (name you own negative one here).  Too bad teachers in some schools are saddled with 30-35 kids in each class.

Ah...but enough ranting on those issues.  One theory that DOES work, and seems to work best when applied correctly is something called BLOOM's TAXONOMY.

In the early 1950s Dr. Benjamin Bloom complied some research that tried to examine the human thought...and thus, learning process.  He identified several levels (six to be exact) ranging from the most low to the most "higher lever think skill."  If implemented correctly, a student of any subject could be engaged and learn the material.

Here are Dr. Bloom's Levels:
Lower Level Skills

KNOWLEDGE:  Knowing facts and simple recall.  Memorizing.  Knowing items described as "trivia."

COMPREHENSION:  To understand the materials and know the concept.  To be able to look and something and clearly know what it is and how it works.

APPLICATION:  Can the skill be used.  Can one apply the lesson to real word.

High Level Skills:

ANALYSIS:  Can one metaphorically take apart something and figure out its workings.

SYNTHESIS:  Can one, after taking apart to it's basic levels, create new things from those parts.

EVALUATION:  An the student look at what was accomplished in the other steps and improve the system.

It seems that an AE program that could foster this sort of thinking would work best.

KNOWLEDGE:  Teach a CADET the names and parts of an AIRPLANE (LECTURE)

COMPREHENSION: Can the Cadet understand what each part does and how it works.  (drawings/models)

APPLICATION: Let a CADET Fly using those lessons. (O-FLights)

ANALYSIS:  Can a cadet examine the relationships between all those parts.  Let them discover concepts for themselves (with guidance) and then tell them what they are called.  This can be done for Bernoulli's Principle with a lab and hypothesis.

SYNTHESIS: Let a cadet build a model rocket or aircraft using those self discovered concepts (see if the models fail or triumph)

EVALUATION: Let the CADET examine what they did and find way to improve it.

I'm sure most AE programs and CADET programs do this already.  Now you know what it's called...and knowing is half the battle ;D

Major Carrales
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Good post. I'd think it more applicable to a broader instructional field than just AE or just cadets. Cadets in my experience are much better learners than seniors. For one they're in school & used to the concept; they're young & open to new ideas; and, they are here craving what we have to offer, at least a good part of it.

You really should go to STEP, this Spring if you can make it. There is some good material along these lines presented there. I think you'd really like it, plus I'll pick up the first round when it's over with.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on December 20, 2006, 06:31:17 AM
Good post. I'd think it more applicable to a broader instructional field than just AE or just cadets. Cadets in my experience are much better learners than seniors. For one they're in school & used to the concept; they're young & open to new ideas; and, they are here craving what we have to offer, at least a good part of it.

You really should go to STEP, this Spring if you can make it. There is some good material along these lines presented there. I think you'd really like it, plus I'll pick up the first round when it's over with.

Thank you for the kudos on the post.   :D

Understanding how one learns can make a person adapt their teaching skills to suit the students.  That makes it meaningful and enjoyable.

There were lots of theories presented to us at the University.  Of all of them this is the only one that seems to apply in its most full form in practice. 

Actually, knowing it has given me self-improvement skills.  The EVALUATON portion of it allows one to find ways to improve.  Students I "let in on this," who are not too apathetic...improve their abilities.  Once a person knows that "facts" are the start...and not the end, they can adjust accordingly.  Similarly, Lecture is only the start of the process.

I am interested in STEP, I will see if it is possible with my work and all.

Major Carrales 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

carnold1836

I also highly recommend STEP for any Senior Officer in Texas Wing. I also would invite anyone from out side of Texas to attend, we had an officer from Arkansas attend this past fall. It really provides a great resource of information on how to run a better cadet program. A little off topic I know, but it is a great program that I would like to see expand and be more in depth with sessions in the different aspects of running a cadet program. Especially the AE portion. But I digress.

In short, I know to late, get to STEP.

And thanks for the ideas in teaching Joe.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

DNall

I was already Sr rated in cadet programs & 10/12 some odd years experience in the field when I came. I was actually coming to get updated to the program as it'd changed slightly sinc I was gone. I found that in the couple months before I went I took care of that myself. Very little of the actual content was new or very helpful to me personally - that is NOT to say it isn't excellent & presented VERY well. It's just that this is kind of a cadet programs officer basic course. I very much enjoyed being in the session though & the opportunity to share some time with other committed CP officers from around the state. I very much look forward to the possibility of an advanced version for more experienced officers. And yes Chris in dividing the two session up I think it would be nice to add some of those kind of sessions. You know what another possibility is... we really wouldn't need to runt he avanced STEP session twice a year. Maybe we could just run that in the Fall & in the Spring we could do an AEO kind of course.

As a side note, I'm still looking forward to the instructor curriculum that's supposed to be in the works from NHQ. That's probably going to tie in somewhere as well.

TDHenderson

Well ya'll got one yankee that is coming South for the Spring STEP if the scheduling works out!

Major Carrales

Quote from: TDHenderson on December 20, 2006, 05:19:58 PM
Well ya'll got one yankee that is coming South for the Spring STEP if the scheduling works out!

Will Iowa be developing some activities along these lines?  I am continually impressed by what is going on there.  I pray it all works and that it will serve as the model for 21st Century CAP.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

TDHenderson

Major Carrales,

To keep the Iowa topics in one place I am going to answer you over in the main Iowa CAP thread.  Hope you don't mind.

Major Carrales

Quote from: TDHenderson on December 20, 2006, 05:41:20 PM
Major Carrales,

To keep the Iowa topics in one place I am going to answer you over in the main Iowa CAP thread.  Hope you don't mind.

Not at all, I had not looked for such and thing and was going to suggestion one in the Spirit of the TEXAS THREAD I had started.

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

CAP428

We used to study Bloom's Taxonomy in school way back when and I think it's a great system that can have great applications for CAP.  I'll keep it mind when working on CAP-related stuff.

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Major Lord

Is that on after Grey's Anatomy?

Capt Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."