So, you think our PD program is weak? What needs to be added?

Started by RiverAux, December 31, 2010, 10:27:53 PM

RiverAux

CAP has made major changes in its PD program over the last 5 years or so that any unbiased observer has got to believe is a major improvement over the old style SLS, CLC, and ECI-13 courses that were the core of this program at the lower levels. 

Nevertheless, there are quite a few folks here who believe that the senior member professional development program is weak and that we should meet some approximation of "Air Force standards" (who knows what that means). 

Personally, I'm always for improving things when possible though I'm not sure just what these folks are getting at.

So, here is your chance:

1.  What specific additions need to be made to our current PD program to make it less "weak"?
2.  How will these new courses be delivered?  Electronically?  In classroom? 
3.  If these are classroom based courses, how long should they be in order to move us off the "weak" bubble? 
4.  How should they be integrated into the current PD program? 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 31, 2010, 10:35:02 PM
Required participation.

Yeah, cuz our volunteers don't have enough red tape that they have to go through for the privilege of giving their time yet.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on December 31, 2010, 10:39:24 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 31, 2010, 10:35:02 PM
Required participation.

Yeah, cuz our volunteers don't have enough red tape that they have to go through for the privilege of giving their time yet.

No, because we have an underclass of woefully misinformed members who believe they have things knocked, or that their
microcosm of the universe is all that matters, and then complain when things work as they should but they don't understand why.

The inconsistency of training and expectation is probably the #1 problem in CAP.

And also, PD is not redtape.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I could get behind being required if you accept advanced grade. You accept Captain, you agree to get Level II done by X or you demote to match the PD you have done.

Ideal? Probably not. But at least you would have an idea of an individual's knowledge based on the insignia.

Perhaps you exclude some (Chaplains, medical and legal come to mind) but then they wear distinctive badges.

We need leaders and followers. You can not force leadership

JohnKachenmeister

Since you asked.

PD as it stands, is not too bad.  It needs to be tweaked at the lower levels.

My change:

Within 6 months, and preferably in the first 60 days of joining, an SM should undergo an Officer Training School.  This can be over a weekend, and should include classroom and hands-on instruction in:

1.  D&C.  Whether the officer will work with cadets or not, he should know how to fall in, do facing movements, stand at attention, parade rest, and at ease.  He should know preparation/execution commands.  He should be familiar with basic drill movements; forward march, column, flanks, and rear march.  Also... how to do an in-ranks inspection.

2.  Report to an officer.  A SM should meet the same standards as a Curry cadet on this one.

3.  Proper wear of the uniform.  When/how/what/where/why.

4.  History and Organization of CAP.  Does any newbie REALLY understand the role of the NB, NEC, BoG?

5.  Intro to the PD program.  How you move up.

6.  CPPT.  Lets all review it together and discuss cases and decision-making.  Not the softball crap in the National website training, but close calls requiring judgement.

7.  Planning for events, preparing operational plans, writing military memoranda.

8.  An intro to e-services, and making sure everything that should be done on a computer is done.

9.  Mission Orientation:  Basic ways we accomplish the missions of:

Cadet Programs
     Emergency Services
     Aerospace Education

10.  Military Customs and Courtesies. 
Another former CAP officer

peter rabbit

The new Basic Officer Course is a tremendous improvement.  :clap:
Required participation like Eclipse said. I'm relatively new - how do these sound?
1. Require a specialty track and appointment in an assistant duty position by the end of six months if you want to do the fun stuff. Make sure prospects are aware of that requirement before they join.
2. bring all specialty track pamphlets up-to-date
3. require job performance not just time in position for specialty track advancement
4. add an on-line SQTR-like feature to track specialty track and PD program level requirements

If members don't feel like they are contributing/learning/having fun, they won't stick around. At least, that's what is seems like from this newbie's perspective.

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Phase One should have a D&C test. If we are going to require it of our cadets we need to know it as well.

OBC is good as far as the curriculum goes, though I think either it should be classroom oriented, or SLS needs to be lengthened. Sort of like an "encampment" for SM's because of the team building exercises that could be incorporated with a little extra time.

Have schools held by wing for specialty tracks. This will ensure a common knowledge of how the programs work nationwide. Makes for a more uniform knowledge set and makes it to where every unit runs more along one track.

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on January 01, 2011, 12:20:46 AM
No advanced grade for anyone that is not a commander.

And no commanders without PD - or at the least provisional posting with a requirement that things like UCC, etc., be completed immediately.
(yes, some wing are lax on offering enough classes - when you have a clamoring, more classes will be offered).

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 01, 2011, 12:21:58 AM
Phase One should have a D&C test. If we are going to require it of our cadets we need to know it as well.

OBC is good as far as the curriculum goes, though I think either it should be classroom oriented, or SLS needs to be lengthened. Sort of like an "encampment" for SM's because of the team building exercises that could be incorporated with a little extra time.

Have schools held by wing for specialty tracks. This will ensure a common knowledge of how the programs work nationwide. Makes for a more uniform knowledge set and makes it to where every unit runs more along one track.

Drill and Ceremonies is not really anything a Senior member not teaching it needs to know.  Aside from knowing how and when to salute, how to stand at attention and report (if accepting an award or for opening ceremonies), however columns and flanks, order of the guidon and the likes has never been something we have done except as an example in teaching cadets.

SLS as a weekend class is good as is.  Not everyone can take off of work for a week to get this done especially when we have no dispensation for reimbursement or "National Guard-like employee/employer" relationships.  I know it would mean more that way, but when dealing with volunteers who work and maintain families...certain realities have to be taken into account.

It is for that reason that I had certain points about a national commander who was a USAF General...CAP is not like the Active Duty Air Force, Reserves or Guard, we do this while we live for no compensation beyond what fulfills us as volunteers.  You cannot make such mandates that destroy the ability of volunteers to take part.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SARDOC

I like that idea...many units are understrength in certain disciplines and I know in my case we don't have any SME's in my specialty.  A Specialty or Branch School would be cool.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on January 01, 2011, 12:34:05 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on January 01, 2011, 12:20:46 AM
No advanced grade for anyone that is not a commander.

And no commanders without PD - or at the least provisional posting with a requirement that things like UCC, etc., be completed immediately.
(yes, some wing are lax on offering enough classes - when you have a clamoring, more classes will be offered).

Really?  Build a program based on the idea that something might happen that would create a need based on the "logical" actions of a Wing based on the "logical" actions that may or may not happen to put people in positions, like a commander, that have to exist to keep a unit going and for the organization to exist and operate at a SQUADRON level based on the idea that someone will do something and those things will happen because they "should" happen.  Brilliant...maybe we need the CAP RACE CAR BACK!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

No...as part of the changes, you implement additional changes and requirements for the wings to support the units.
Obviously you can't hold a unit CC responsible for something he couldn't do, but at the same time if you want things to get better
you have to raise expectations.

Slick-sleeve, untrained,  commanders propagate the problems.  Willingness to serve is not enough to be successful.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2011, 12:39:27 AM
Drill and Ceremonies is not really anything a Senior member not teaching it needs to know.  Aside from knowing how and when to salute, how to stand at attention and report (if accepting an award or for opening ceremonies), however columns and flanks, order of the guidon and the likes has never been something we have done except as an example in teaching cadets.
I teach D&C, I march during parades, and march for ceremonies. I know many others that do or should, but don't know how to march, don't even know what their supposed to do when Left Right Left is called. That makes us look bad. Not to mention, have you ever talked to a cadet to correct them on their bearing (bearing as in slouching or improperly standing at attention or parade rest)? If so, do you get some weird looks? If so it is because they know that you don't know D&C yourself.

peter rabbit

QuoteDrill and Ceremonies is not really anything a Senior member not teaching it needs to know.  Aside from knowing how and when to salute, how to stand at attention and report (if accepting an award or for opening ceremonies), however columns and flanks, order of the guidon and the likes has never been something we have done except as an example in teaching cadets.

I agree. Our time would be better spent teaching SM duty positions & ES than D&C, other than the items mentioned.

Fubar

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 31, 2010, 11:01:51 PM
Within 6 months, and preferably in the first 60 days of joining, an SM should undergo an Officer Training School.  This can be over a weekend, and should include classroom and hands-on instruction in:
I'm with you so far. Right away would be great, I took SLS within just a couple of months of joining and found I already knew most of the material which made the time spent feel like a waste of time. It's never good to waste a volunteer's time.

1.  D&C.  Whether the officer will work with cadets or not, he should know how to fall in, do facing movements, stand at attention, parade rest, and at ease.  He should know preparation/execution commands.  He should be familiar with basic drill movements; forward march, column, flanks, and rear march.  Also... how to do an in-ranks inspection.
You lost me here. Why spend limited, valuable time during a weekend course to teach something that will likely never be used again by those in attendance? Senior members simply don't do drill and there's no reason for them to start. Heck, with all the guys and gals who show up with canes and walkers, this doesn't even sound practical.

2.  Report to an officer.  A SM should meet the same standards as a Curry cadet on this one.
Not used in all areas, but since it takes all of five minutes to cover, go right ahead.

This is currently covered in SLS, so either it gets cut from there or because this training occurred in the first 60 days, it is limited to saying, "welcome to CAP, great looking polo you have on there, here are some other options you may be interested in down the road once you're established and sure you're sticking with us."

4.  History and Organization of CAP.  Does any newbie REALLY understand the role of the NB, NEC, BoG?
I'd seriously question if the people who currently serve on the NB, NEC, and BoG fully understand the roles of those governing bodies (our own Col Lee excluded of course). When you're new and within the first 60 days, the squadron commander is probably as high up the chain of command the new member needs to be aware of.

This material is covered in the OBC, which does seem appropriate.

Again, this is already covered in other training (SLS), so decisions need to be made when does this topic need to be covered. Right away, or once the member has his or her feet wet? Just don't cover it twice in the same level of detail, again, let's not waste a volunteer's time.

Let's just get the PDO to do his or her job and this will be a non-issue.

6.  CPPT.  Lets all review it together and discuss cases and decision-making.  Not the softball crap in the National website training, but close calls requiring judgement.
Is the current one-on-one discussion with the squadron commander not working? This is definitely already happening within the first 60 days already.

7.  Planning for events, preparing operational plans, writing military memoranda.
"Hi, you just joined yesterday and now we're going to teach you how to plan for an event." Instead, this seems like a great topic for CLS or UCC.

8.  An intro to e-services, and making sure everything that should be done on a computer is done.
This will quickly disintegrate into teaching people how to double-click on icons and how to get a web browser running, but it's better than the zero-training that seems to be occurring now.

Cadet Programs
     Emergency Services
     Aerospace Education
This is a good idea because for a lot of people, it seems like it is one of the three missions that draws the person into the organization. Let's make sure they're equally aware of the other two missions we do.

This is about as useful as D&C in my area, but if you're in a unit or wing that's big on C&C it should definitely be covered. Otherwise, no class should ever include, "we're going to cover this, but don't worry about it because you'll never need it in our wing/unit." Again, don't waste my time.

exFlight Officer

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 31, 2010, 11:01:51 PM
Since you asked.

PD as it stands, is not too bad.  It needs to be tweaked at the lower levels.

My change:

Cadet Programs
     Emergency Services
     Aerospace Education

I agree completely! +1

Quote from: peter rabbit on December 31, 2010, 11:27:38 PM
The new Basic Officer Course is a tremendous improvement.  :clap:
Required participation like Eclipse said. I'm relatively new - how do these sound?
1. Require a specialty track and appointment in an assistant duty position by the end of six months if you want to do the fun stuff. Make sure prospects are aware of that requirement before they join.
2. bring all specialty track pamphlets up-to-date
3. require job performance not just time in position for specialty track advancement
4. add an on-line SQTR-like feature to track specialty track and PD program level requirements

If members don't feel like they are contributing/learning/having fun, they won't stick around. At least, that's what is seems like from this newbie's perspective.

+1 with all of this but especially # 4. This came to mind a few months ago. I, as a former PD Officer, would find this very helpful in keeping track of every senior member's specialty track(s) requirements.

Schools for Specialty Tracks is a Great idea!

RiverAux

There are quite a few of these proposals that I would agree with, but I don't see any of them as making a radical change in CAP culture. 

C'mon, where are you folks that want CAP officers to be somewhat equivalent to AF officers (I don't think it is needed, but they seem to)?  Those are the people I want to hear from.  Tweeking our current system surely isn't going to get us to that level.   

Eclipse

Those of you who are commenting that D&C or other military courtesies, etc., are "unnecessary in my area", are pointing to your local weaknesses (any mission-level successes not withstanding).  This isn't M*A*S*H.  We don't have enough banked cool points, innate skill, or dumb luck (i.e. good writers), to ignore the paramilitary aspect of the organization and still come out "winners" before the last commercial.

These are not optional components of our program, despite the fact that some units ignore them, and some people (misguidedly) disdain them, they should be part of every member's core training.  They are a part of CAP for a reason beyond the historic or parent-service affinity.

They instill and promote discipline - not punitive discipline which is what most people think of when they hear the word, but mental discipline.  Being aware of your surroundings, of who is in the room, that some people are "more equal" than others, etc., in the same way that properly configuring a uniform instills and reinforces attention to detail and the involvement beyond just throwing on a shirt.

Sure there are those in the combatant services who disdain and dislike courtesies and the like, too, but the difference is they have all been trained in the same way, know how to react and respond properly even if their daily job doesn't use them, and don't treat them like anything beyond the acknowledgment that they are (or the pomp and circumstances of the organization).

Even Dr's and other professionals go to "salutin' school" for a few weeks to understand the culture they are signing into.

Here's the bottom line - CAP lacks the baseline consistent training that even your local volunteer PD or FD get before being allowed to hit the streets, so conversations which should take minutes or never happen at all, are constant debates, and the good efforts of 99% of our members are constantly under assault by the 1% who have no clue but think they know better.

Nothing in the program is "optional", and if we all acted that way, most of our problems would work themselves out.

And I don't accept the "plight of the downtrodden volunteer".  There are other organizations with similar missions for people who
don't want to affiliate with a paramilitary organization.  They need your help and time as much as we do, and it won't be such a "burden"
for you.  Accept the standard or move on.

"That Others May Zoom"