character development discussions - number of seniors present?

Started by spacecommand, December 08, 2010, 07:46:11 AM

spacecommand

Which regulation or where does it say only one senior member can be present for the character development classes?

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

a2capt

I have not read,  nor have I ever heard of such a thing as a regulation.... however I will say that the Chaplain prefers that they are alone, or very few if any other senior members in the sessions, especially the ones who's parents are also members or of the bunch that typically stay for the duration of the meeting, to not be in Character Development at the same time in order to get the cadets more at ease, and more likely to open up, participate, etc.

spacecommand

We don't have a chaplain, I ask because I walked into the meeting space and was told I can't be there because only one senior member can be present (the Character development officer), then later another senior member told me the exact same thing.

Ron1319

I'd fire whoever is telling you that they need to be alone with the cadets.  I assure you there is no regulation that says that, and it's terrible advice to ever be alone with cadets, period, if avoidable.  Read about the accusations against certain churches, lately?

Our chaplain refused to be alone with the cadets and demanded that another senior be present at one of my first meetings after rejoining.  It would have been convenient for him to alone with them so I could go take care of something, but he wouldn't let me leave.

What kind of character development sessions are you having where you're that worried about the cadets opening up if there is another senior around?
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

lordmonar

I would say that it was one of those myths that are running around and are next to impossible to kill.

Probably started as a "let's all clear out so the kids can open up" and then ended up as a "no one but the MLO is allowed in the session".

It is absolute BS....because the Commander is responsible for the conduct of his personnel and their performance of their duties.  So right there you have a situation of not only does he have a right to observe the Character Development Session but a duty to do so.

Now....if you are just some random SM too bored to sit in the staff room......then my all means you don't need to be there....but I can think of 3-4 people who have a duty to observe the MLO or Chaplain in action.

Not to mention that from a CPP point of view......you may want to have another SM sit in....just for CYA.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

I had this same issue last year, and ended up talking to a region chaplain who then contacted the National chaplain. The National chaplain was apparently a little puzzled and a bit concerned that it was being put out that seniors weren't allowed to be present.

The stipulation is that seniors may be present, but they may not participate in the session. This was enacted because many seniors were "taking control" of the sessions, and cadets were not receiving the training necesary.

Boiled down, seniors should be seen but not heard, if present. Bluntly, it's "shut up and just listen."

Quote from: lordmonar on December 08, 2010, 11:41:59 AM
Not to mention that from a CPP point of view......you may want to have another SM sit in....just for CYA.
Agreed.

Eclipse

Quote from: spacecommand on December 08, 2010, 08:23:14 AM
We don't have a chaplain, I ask because I walked into the meeting space and was told I can't be there because only one senior member can be present (the Character development officer), then later another senior member told me the exact same thing.

Both are woefully misinformed.

One senior has to be there (does not have to be a CDI) to give the class, the whole unit can be there to observe if they want to be.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rotorhead

Quote from: spacecommand on December 08, 2010, 08:23:14 AM
I'd ask them to show you the regulation that mandates this.

They won't be able to, of course, since it doesn't exist.

I hate when people make up regs based on what they want or the old "that's what I heard."
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ