CPFT MP3 Players?

Started by Fly Boy, November 15, 2010, 09:00:25 PM

Fly Boy

I like to run while listening to music and I know other Cadets that like to as well. Looking through P52-18, They give no mention on if Cadets are allowed to listen to MP3 players while running the mile. CAP Knowledgebase also turned up unresponsive. Is there an official ruling on this, and if so what is it?

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

LTC Don

I would think that it is completely local option.  Many of my cadets listen to their players as well while running.  I would think it helps establish a good pace, although depending on your needs and the type of music you are listening to, it could actually slow you down.

Ironically, rock and roll, and classic music have tempos that are very close to quick-time (some slower, and some faster).

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

SarDragon

I would recommend listening with only one ear. This allows you to hear outside sounds better. Many folks turn their music up so loud that it almost totally blocks outside sounds, and, in certain environments, can be very unsafe.

I will make no further mention of possible noise-induced hearing loss.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on November 15, 2010, 09:21:06 PM
I would recommend listening with only one ear. This allows you to hear outside sounds better. Many folks turn their music up so loud that it almost totally blocks outside sounds, and, in certain environments, can be very unsafe.

I will make no further mention of possible noise-induced hearing loss.
My unit is generally fairly restrictive on this, but we used an old runway as our PT place before- never know when some emergency landing is going to ruin your night!

Really though, it's about Situational Awareness. Things do happen, and being absorbed in your MP3 player isn't really ideal or safe.

jimmydeanno

Local choice.  I've had a few options in squadrons that I've been in.

The first, we had to run on a quiet road, on base.  I didn't permit them to use them so they could hear what was going on around them.

The second, we ran on base on a track.  I didn't care if they ran with them on, but only a couple did.

The third, again was a track on base.  However, the fitness center didn't permit the wearing of headphones while running on the track.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

coudano

We allow it at my squadron, but nobody actually does it these days.
Infact we have just gotten our first people electing to run the mile in several months, it was fad for everyone to shuttle run for quite some time...

Please note that CAPR 52-4 *does* prohibit the use of headphones during cadet competition.  Which has nothing to do with your weekly meeting CPFT for a promotion.  Just be aware that it's out there.

Eclipse

I wouldn't see any issue with this as long as the cadet(s) were able to here hear any directions and be safe while doing it.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

We regularly have cadets with mp3 players or phones with ear buds. Never been a problem since we usually run on an indoor track. Now if we were running along a road or someplace with real hazards, we might have to rethink it.

To sum it up, no national guidance because there really doesn't need to be. Just be safe about it and you'll be alright.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Jimbo

In the AF it is too a local policy set by the installation/CC. Most places authorize MP3 players indoors or on tracks, but not when running roadside, etc -- as for the same reasons most of you have already pointed out for safety.

Now if it was an organized PT session or test, that would be up to the PT leader.  That's what I have seen so far anyways.
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

Flying Pig

I wouldnt have any issue with it as long as there were no safety concerns.  No need to make running any more of a drag than it already is!  I wear an MP3 when I swim.  Makes the time fly by.  However, it would be interesting to see if there was any change in run times with them vs without.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 04, 2010, 08:30:32 PM
I wear an MP3 when I swim.

I would be interested to hear the logistics of that one...

DakRadz

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 04, 2010, 08:34:49 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on December 04, 2010, 08:30:32 PM
I wear an MP3 when I swim.

I would be interested to hear the logistics of that one...

That's seconded. For multiple reasons. ???

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

Right-o, but the description is cut off (and I had to click on another similar product to find the description at all).
It says it can conveniently be attached to any goggl (and then stops). Assuming it was goggle, how do you listen to the music? Special headphones? Sound waves carried through the mask?

jimmydeanno

This model features waterproof earphones.  I think you're making the whole swimming with an MP3 player more difficult than it needs to be...  :P

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16751.htm

DakRadz

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 04, 2010, 09:32:33 PM
This model features waterproof earphones.  I think you're making the whole swimming with an MP3 player more difficult than it needs to be...  :P

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16751.htm
Viable alternatives, sir. Viable..

Heh, I was really just trying to figure it out. Sounds like a nice little toy tool.

A.Member

Agree that it's a local decision.  However, as a runner, I find the need to listen to music for the typical 6 - 10 minutes it takes a cadet to complete a mile a bit odd.   If you were running for 30 minutes or more, then I think it makes more sense...but to each their own, I have no strong opinion on the issue either way.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

commando1

In my squadron we normally don't allow it even though we run on a track. The general theory that it only should take 5-12 minutes to run the mile and it is not worth the added distraction/safety hazard.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

HGjunkie

I personally like using my iPod when I run around my neighborhood. However, I don't use one during CPFT because I don't think I would enjoy having to carry around the armband I keep it in for 2 hours during a meeting.

And as it's probably been rehashed multiple times, commanders can dictate wether or not you wear one.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

J.American

I think its all based on squadron preference. 

When I run on my own, of course I listen to music.  But at a CAP function, we do not allow MP3 players due to cadets not paying attention, potential loss of or damage to property, etc.  Its just not something that is too wise.  Plus it generally creates an undisciplined atmosphere because cadets try to sneak listening to their player at other times during the meeting.
C/2d LT Ricketts
SER-AL-087