Main Menu

Something wrong at NHQ?

Started by Lawson, October 21, 2010, 08:10:45 PM

Lawson

I am curious if there's some kind of big membership hold up going on?

A friend of mine applied for SM status and sent his paperwork in about a month ago today. Still no word on anything from nationals.

Last year when I became an SM, it took about 2-weeks. (I dont know if that has anything to do with having been a cadet 2001-2003).

Also, I have a photo ID, but it expires 31Oct2010, I applied for a new one, and the money has been taken, but it has also been about a month without seeing it.

Is this a problem with anyone else? Also, is there any contact to go thru at NHQ or do I take both these problems to the Unit Commander?

Thanks for any help!

Eclipse

There have been sporadic comments here and elsewhere that background checks seem to be taking longer than normal.

We did just cross a fiscal year as well, and it is election season - probably stacking up to slow down the channel. 

You can always call NHQ and ask the status.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

I joined in the middle of the summer and everything was okay. My official join date was mid-August and I received my plastic membership card a month later. I also just completed Level 1 and it was updated on my eServices profile page a week to 10 days later.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

BradM

Did your friend have a prior FBI background check? I was told that if you already had a background check that your application would go through faster. I had one in 1997 when I applied to my job at a retirement home.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Lawson

Quote from: BradM on October 21, 2010, 08:57:53 PM
Did your friend have a prior FBI background check? I was told that if you already had a background check that your application would go through faster. I had one in 1997 when I applied to my job at a retirement home.

He's law enforcement, so I imagine so. (We had to do them when I was an LEO, but unsure about his agency)

MSG Mac

1. Call National and ask if they received the forms
2. Ask the member if his check has cleared.

If 1 and the forms haven't been received resend them with a new check and Fingerprint card
If they check cleared, he's a member somewhere, because the check isn't processed until the membership is entered into the system.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RLM10_2_06

Agreed with above; call NHQ (877-227-9142) and redirect through the menu appropriately, and talk to the lovely membership people. Mine took like two days once it arrived properly, and I JUST had it done this week. The more the people in that department are aware that there's a problem, the more I'd imagine they can do. As for the ID...I don't know, because I haven't applied for mine yet. Sorry I can't be of more help :-\
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

EMT-83

Quote from: BradM on October 21, 2010, 08:57:53 PM
They'll do a new one, even if you just had one completed a month ago.

Ozzy

Your new photo id won't come until you re-up for the new year.... at least that's what happened to me last year when I ordered one about a month before I had to renew... once I renewed, I got it with the new expiration date
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Lawson

Actually, I did renew in Sept and ordered the card as soon as I got my 2nd Lt shortly thereafter. Still waiting...

tdepp

Compared to my application to the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, the CAP process was relatively quick.  My USCGA app and background check took nearly three months; my CAP app and background check took a month.  Both use essentially the same fingerprint card.  On the other hand, during my USCGA application, they were busy with some oil spill in the Gulf.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

bosshawk

In my experience with getting folks screened through National, it often has nothing to do with the employees at NHQ.  As I understand the process, the fingerprint card goes to the FBI for verification.  I know that the application for our CD program goes to a central processing facility, where it is reviewed by the three major customers of the CD program.  Our screening is not priority number one in any of these cases: we get handled as the federal agencies have the time to do them.

In my six or seven years of being in the middle of the CD program, I have seen screenings take from one day to over a year, mostly because the screening agency had higher priorities.

I suspect that the same sort of time warps apply to the FBI fingerprint card processing.  Just the facts, folks, not my opinion.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777