Member wearing Army Uniform/Insignia (Retired Vet)

Started by DBlair, October 20, 2010, 05:51:06 PM

Ned

It is also worth considering that most units do not have all that many events where the service coat would be mandatory.

If a member makes the choice to not buy a service coat (and perhaps new skirt/trousers to match) to the tune of multiple hundreds of dollars  that may be worn at most a couple of times a year, then I would hope that the commander makes the member feel welcome to participate in service dress without coat.  I may be reading a bit into the orignal post with this, but it may be that at least one factor in the Army veteran's concerns is that he already has a "service-coat-equivalent" uniform, but may not have a CAP service coat and is trying to present an appropriate appearance.

I know I did not have a service coat until I had been in over 4 years.

spacecommand

From how I read it, it isn't a monetary issue or can't afford one, but rather, "the law" says he can so he will.

Hawk200

Quote from: Ned on October 21, 2010, 06:46:37 PM
It is also worth considering that most units do not have all that many events where the service coat would be mandatory.
True.

Quote from: Ned on October 21, 2010, 06:46:37 PMIf a member makes the choice to not buy a service coat (and perhaps new skirt/trousers to match) to the tune of multiple hundreds of dollars  that may be worn at most a couple of times a year, then I would hope that the commander makes the member feel welcome to participate in service dress without coat.
I would hope the same thing. We've got to have some latitude when it comes to volunteers spending their own money. 39-1 states the minimum basic uniform is short sleeve blues. Adding a tie and ribbons/badges can "formalize" it a good bit with nowhere near the cost of a coat.

Quote from: Ned on October 21, 2010, 06:46:37 PMI may be reading a bit into the orignal post with this, but it may be that at least one factor in the Army veteran's concerns is that he already has a "service-coat-equivalent" uniform, but may not have a CAP service coat and is trying to present an appropriate appearance.
Personally, I'm not getting that impression for this same reason:

Quote from: spacecommand on October 21, 2010, 07:10:59 PMFrom how I read it, it isn't a monetary issue or can't afford one, but rather, "the law" says he can so he will.
There's a number of resources showing the Army and Air Force permit it, a DoD instruction on it, even US Code. But a blanket "the law allows it" seems a little funky.

JohnKachenmeister

I see it as a money issue.

An Air Force/CAP officer service dress uniform is a bit pricey.  I can understand an Army guy who has an Army uniform electing to wear it on those few occasions where a service dress uniform with jacket are required.

Just because a proud veteran doesn't "Poor-mouth" does not mean that he is independently wealthy, or in a position to devote personal resources in the manner you would like.

Under the circumstances, wearing the Army uniform is neither illegal, unethical, or even all that uncommon.
Another former CAP officer

flyboy53

Choose your battles.

As a retiree, yes, he does have the authority to wear that uniform to squadron functions, and why not, it would certainly prove influential to a cadet. Without getting specific, however, I think the only time that policy is frowned upon is when the uniform is worn during political or anti-American activities. The term, if I remember correctly, is "as authorized by law."

As far as the CAP uniform goes, if you follow the letter of 39-1, badges such as a CIB and Pathfider, etc., are authorized because they are authorized by the AFI. In my tenure in the Air Force, I've met several prior Army turned airmen who who continued to wear their CIBs, with the full authority, blessings and respect of their commanders. However, the AFI now only allows AF personnel to wear those badges when permanently assigned and performing duties with the orginating service, so I'm pretty sure it would now be at the military commander's discretion.

I for one, however, am not going to quibble with someone who really earned a CIB or jump wings. I have a pretty good respect for what it took to earn something like that. Either way, only two badges can be worn on top of ribbons and you are authorized to wear one "miscellaneous" badge underneath. I've seen AF Combat Controllers and PJs wear scuba badges there. The obvious one, however, is the old pocket rocket or missile badge.

As far as the recruiting badge on a CAP uniform, sorry, that has to go. In the Air Force, that is considered a duty badge and is only worn during the performance of that duty. I can't wear mine.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on October 21, 2010, 09:59:44 PM
Choose your battles.

As a retiree, yes, he does have the authority to wear that uniform to squadron functions, and why not, it would certainly prove influential to a cadet. Without getting specific, however, I think the only time that policy is frowned upon is when the uniform is worn during political or anti-American activities. The term, if I remember correctly, is "as authorized by law."

He doesn't have the authority to do anything the unit CC says "no" to.  10 USC does not trump local regulations of another organization, it simply allows for the wear in circumstances which make common sense to wear it in public (like Vet's day, Memorial Day, military funerals, other retirements, etc.).

If he were to join the local CERT team or ARC, he would be wearing the golf shirt and pants as prescribed by that organization without a comment.

Where does the "money argument" end?  I'd be willing to bet he has an "Army Strong" golf shirt.  Can he wear that instead of the CAP golf shirt?  How about ACU's instead of BDU's or the field uniform?  After all, it's "just" CAP, right?  It's not like this is a "real" service organization with its own rules, regs, and expectations...

Wear.
Our.
Uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

It seems the consensus is that very occassional wear in certain situations is probably okay, if not ideal.  But that regular wear (such as perhaps at monthly "blues" meeting nights) would be over the line. 

manfredvonrichthofen

Army vet here, I have Class A Army Greens, I have Army Dress Blues (the really nice ones before the Army messed them all up to get rid of the Greens), The first thing that I did when I came back to CAP was get a new pair of BDUs, about $80.00 with everything for them, and a pair of USAF Dress Blues with Service Coat, about $250.00 with everything for them. They do not cost that much, especially when you take into consideration how much a pair of Army Dress Blues cost with medals jump boots and two shoulder cords (about $1,200). I don't know what all he has to put on his Army Class A uniform, but to maintain the uniform in a manner to wear, he could just as easily use that money to buy himself a set of USAF Blues.