Main Menu

Time in Grade

Started by Grumpy, October 19, 2010, 07:48:15 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on October 27, 2010, 07:17:32 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2010, 01:38:59 AM
A commander can't record the completion of Level 1 until the member is an active, approved member.
Commander's cant record anyone's completion of Level 1.  That can only be done at wing.  All they need to have is a CAP ID so that they can log onto EServices.
Actually, the final completion is recorded at NHQ, when they get the Form 11 directly from the squadron commander. Wing has nothing to do with it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tsrup

Quote from: lordmonar on October 27, 2010, 07:15:50 AM

......they can't be left alone with cadets until they get their permanant cards....

Can you cite that?

I don't see it mentioned in 35-1, is it somewhere else?

edit: never mind, found it it in 52-10
Paramedic
hang-around.

EMT-83

Quote from: SarDragon on October 27, 2010, 07:21:49 AMActually, the final completion is recorded at NHQ, when they get the Form 11 directly from the squadron commander. Wing has nothing to do with it.
Actually, it's submitted by the Professional Development Officer.

Granted, if you have no PDO, it defaults to the commander...

FlyTiger77

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 27, 2010, 12:06:37 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 27, 2010, 07:21:49 AMActually, the final completion is recorded at NHQ, when they get the Form 11 directly from the squadron commander. Wing has nothing to do with it.
Actually, it's submitted by the Professional Development Officer.

Granted, if you have no PDO, it defaults to the commander...
Arguably, it is submitted by the PDO on behalf of the commander.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

EMT-83

Form 11 is the Senior Member Professional Development Director's Report, not the commander's report. The PDO submits it on his own behalf, not the commander's.

For some reason, there is a lot of confusion on PD forms and how (and where) to submit them.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 27, 2010, 12:53:07 PM
Form 11 is the Senior Member Professional Development Director's Report, not the commander's report. The PDO submits it on his own behalf, not the commander's.

For some reason, there is a lot of confusion on PD forms and how (and where) to submit them.

I guess my point is that authority flows through command channels and staffs at all levels support their respective commanders. After all, the Director is appointed by a commander.

Eclipse

^ Correct, no one submits anything "on their own behalf", at least in regards to squadron business.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

You're really picking at nits. Yes, I know, you delegate the task but not the responsibility.

If staff officers run every routine task through the commander, nothing would get done.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 27, 2010, 03:14:06 PM
You're really picking at nits. Yes, I know, you delegate the task but not the responsibility.

If staff officers run every routine task through the commander, nothing would get done.

I disagree that it it nit picking in that oftentimes staff officers forget this fact.

Now, I wholeheartedly agree that the commander doesn't need to see each and every routine action conducted on his/her behalf.

Eclipse

I disagree it is a nit.  In fact, the failure to understand this key point of the theory of chain of command fails regularly not only
in CAP, but in business and the military all the time.

In CAP, this is especially true for new members who fall into jobs at echelons higher than a unit and start thinking that being the Wing "XX"
actually gives them authority over the Unit and group XX's to direct their operations, etc. (rinse, repeat).

From a practical standpoint, there isn't a unit in this country that is cycling so many members through Level 1 that their forms should be completely outside the attention of the CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: tsrup on October 23, 2010, 12:24:03 AM
Quote from: a2capt on October 23, 2010, 12:19:34 AMThat same "Active Member" has to do nothing more than show an interest, and could function in exactly the same role boundaries that a "Sponsor Member" did during that period and be promoted.

which would violate 35-5

2-1. Eligibility Requirements.
a.   General Requirements. To be considered for this type promotion, the member must: (1)   Be at least 21 years of age. (2)   Be a high school graduate (or educational equivalent). (3)   Complete Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program.
(4) Be performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.
(5)   Be recommended by immediate superior and unit commander.

Not only is a "check in the box" promotion system frowned upon, but it is also against regulations.

No it's not.  Why do you think duty promotions are done through e-services?  The Air Force/CAP have been working at going paperless since the 80's

tsrup

Quote from: Grumpy on October 27, 2010, 07:10:05 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 23, 2010, 12:24:03 AM
Quote from: a2capt on October 23, 2010, 12:19:34 AMThat same "Active Member" has to do nothing more than show an interest, and could function in exactly the same role boundaries that a "Sponsor Member" did during that period and be promoted.

which would violate 35-5

2-1. Eligibility Requirements.
a.   General Requirements. To be considered for this type promotion, the member must: (1)   Be at least 21 years of age. (2)   Be a high school graduate (or educational equivalent). (3)   Complete Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program.
(4) Be performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.
(5)   Be recommended by immediate superior and unit commander.

Not only is a "check in the box" promotion system frowned upon, but it is also against regulations.

No it's not.  Why do you think duty promotions are done through e-services?  The Air Force/CAP have been working at going paperless since the 80's

My statement had nothing to do with the actual "system" of eServices or whether it was paperless or not...
Paramedic
hang-around.

arajca

The process on Duty Performance promotions is run through Eservices, but the commander has the final say. If the commander checks the box, it's done. If they don't, it's not. It is then up to the commander to explain to the member why they did not get promoted.

If it was automatic, there would be no need for a commander approval check box.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The TIG system certainly has its quirks.

I remember years ago when I first joined CAP I was told that one time in a CAP member's career TIG could be waived if all the other requirements were met, and I think I remember one Major who was allowed to do that for LTC.  However, when I mention it now most of my CAP colleagues look at me like I'm crazy (not that there's any problem with that).

Of course, this was back in 1994, when I was a brand new second looie who had just slipped on his bloody awful berry boards, so ahhhdonnnknow....
Exiled from GLR-MI-011