2010 FLWG Winter Encampment

Started by DBlair, October 16, 2010, 11:34:57 AM

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AirAux

The person representing the SER encampment to parents and members at the closing was a very rude and ill-mannered female Captain from Florida.  My wife had a run in with her during inprocessing also.  I still say the application process on-line was a disaster and when brought to their attention was not improved, but the applicant's were attacked and made to feel stupid if they couldn't complete the applications.  Also, I had cadets apply for staff that never received a response to their applications.  I wonder if they were received, lost, ignored, or rejected.  Rank should relate/reflect to experience in CAP.  If the Captain was handed a problem by Wing or the Air Force, he should have straightened it out before he implemented it.  This is where experience comes in.  I feel that these problems should be discussed so the process can improve in the future.  Most Commanders welcome feedback, good or bad.  I have no problem with the Captain as I have had no personal interaction with him.  That being said, he is the encampment CO and as such, will take the criticism when things are not going well. 

spaatzmom

Quote from: AirAux on November 21, 2010, 08:39:20 PM
The person representing the SER encampment to parents and members at the closing was a very rude and ill-mannered female Captain from Florida.  My wife had a run in with her during inprocessing also.  I still say the application process on-line was a disaster and when brought to their attention was not improved, but the applicant's were attacked and made to feel stupid if they couldn't complete the applications.  Also, I had cadets apply for staff that never received a response to their applications.  I wonder if they were received, lost, ignored, or rejected.  Rank should relate/reflect to experience in CAP.  If the Captain was handed a problem by Wing or the Air Force, he should have straightened it out before he implemented it.  This is where experience comes in.  I feel that these problems should be discussed so the process can improve in the future.  Most Commanders welcome feedback, good or bad.  I have no problem with the Captain as I have had no personal interaction with him.  That being said, he is the encampment CO and as such, will take the criticism when things are not going well.

Ok, is it possible to break out your arguments that are relative to the 2 entirely separate events, it is getting confusing which one you are referring to in the continued rant?  In relation to the years ago SER encampment in Ga, it is long past and over, and most if not all with the exception of you have gotten over it.  The past is done, you can not change that but grow from the positives and the negatives drawn from it.

If you have problems with the current encampment, voice your concerns to the appropriate people.  Maybe things will change maybe not depending on the true circumstances.  It appears that there is a lot of child like behavior that has ensued over positions both from cadets and seniors.  Lest we remember that you may apply if you wish, but that does not mean that you will be slotted.  Many things go into the determination of these positions such as; does this person have a history of causing disruption at other events, does this person have a history of saying I'll be there and then be a no show, does this person play well with others, did his or her CC recommend him or her highly, averagely, minimally, or negatively( something the applicant would have no idea about), and a host of other performance equations I am not aware of. 

AirAux

In regards to the current encampment, due to the application process, one would never know where one's commander rated one as the application did not pass through one's commander's hands for rating or comments.  It was all electronic.  One did not know if one's application was received or not and one was not informed if one was not accepted or not.  One was left to hang as if one was of no consequence.  This is not how to treat members in my opinion.  This causes ill feelings and loss of respect for those in charge.  JMHO.

spaatzmom

Quote from: AirAux on November 21, 2010, 10:58:24 PM
In regards to the current encampment, due to the application process, one would never know where one's commander rated one as the application did not pass through one's commander's hands for rating or comments.  It was all electronic.  One did not know if one's application was received or not and one was not informed if one was not accepted or not.  One was left to hang as if one was of no consequence.  This is not how to treat members in my opinion.  This causes ill feelings and loss of respect for those in charge.  JMHO.

Oh please, do you really think that no one communicates to anyone else throughout the wing during the course of the year or longer?  Your manner of handling yourself and reputation travels further and faster than you could imagine and ripples way beyond your little home sphere of existence.  If they really felt that out of the loop they could always email or call the contact person for the event, their CC and go up the food chain from there.  Can't say how that would be per-sieved by the powers that be.  This may be their first indoctrination into how the real world works ... not always fair but then again how said life was fair.

AirAux

I, for one, expect our cadets to be treated fairly.  Perhaps your attitude reflects the attitude of the Florida Wing, since I would think you know of what you speak being a Spaatz Mom and all.  I am surprised your son would have settled for anything less than fairness among our cadets, unless he missed out on some of our core values in his years of experience.