Florida Wing Glades Ranger School

Started by Capt Ford, September 13, 2010, 09:50:57 AM

Capt Ford

Does anyone know, by any chance, if the Florida Wing Glades Ranger School is still up and running? I've tried doing some research and I found the website, but from the look of it it hasn't been updated since 2006. 
JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Assistant Administration Officer
Florida Wing

HGjunkie

Quote from: TFO Ford on September 13, 2010, 09:50:57 AM
Does anyone know, by any chance, if the Florida Wing Glades Ranger School is still up and running? I've tried doing some research and I found the website, but from the look of it it hasn't been updated since 2006.
AFAIK, the only ranger school in the country still up is in PAWG. I live in FLWG and have NEVER heard of a FL ranger school.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

spaatzmom

There has not been any mention of it from about the 2006 time frame.  The director Randall Carson has been in absence since that time.  Just because one has "never" heard of something and posting that as gospel does not make it true.  There are other ranger type schools around the country that teach things specific to their area just as Fl did with theirs such as gators and the Glades.  I believe there is one in Ca but do not have any specifics.

bosshawk

Don't believe that CAWG has had one in the last 17.5 years that I have been around here.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BillB

The Glades Ranger School was suspended in 2007 or 08. A new acivity, Florida Survival School,  was to be developed at Camp Blanding, but never got authorized.  Camp Blanding reflects the woods, rivers, swamps found in central and North Florida.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

bosshawk

If I recall, means lots of nasty snakes and alligators.  I have an interesting mental image of a CAP Snake Eater.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Ned

AFAIK, any unit is free to develop a "ranger program."  There is no restriction on use of the term beyond common sense and your conscience.

I imagine that there are squadrons out there who are developing such programs right now . . .

Capt Ford

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 13, 2010, 08:18:22 PM
Quote from: TFO Ford on September 13, 2010, 09:50:57 AM
AFAIK, the only ranger school in the country still up is in PAWG. I live in FLWG and have NEVER heard of a FL ranger school.

Well seeing that you are a C/SSgt, you've been in for what about a year, so I wouldn't expect you to have EVER heared of a FL ranger school unless you've sat down and did some research of the activities going on in FLWG.

I do wish they would start something up like the Florida Survival School. I mean with the price of todays round trip air fares plus the activity fee on top of that and then trying to get a bunch of gear through airport security, getting a simple ES rating can be more then it's worth.
JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Florida Wing

raivo

Quote from: TFO Ford on September 14, 2010, 04:16:33 AM
Well seeing that you are a C/SSgt, you've been in for what about a year, so I wouldn't expect you to have EVER heared of a FL ranger school unless you've sat down and did some research of the activities going on in FLWG.

I spent 7 years in FLWG and haven't heard of it either.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Capt Ford

Quote from: raivo on September 14, 2010, 04:41:24 AM
Quote from: TFO Ford on September 14, 2010, 04:16:33 AM

I spent 7 years in FLWG and haven't heard of it either.

Well, I wouldn't have known about it either if I hadn't sat down and looked up "googled"  Florida Wing Activities.
JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Florida Wing

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DBlair

Based on the general opinion of "Ranger" programs here in FLWG, I don't think they'll be bringing it back anytime soon. The survival school idea is much more possible, but I see this as being more of a NCSA type activity than an ES training program.

I agree that Wing should develop a FLWG ES/GSAR School, similar to what we had in NJ prior to NESA, and what it seems quite a few other Wings still do. Otherwise, local training is hit or miss and depends largely on finding a random ES training bivouac of some sort, rather than a structured school program.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Earhart1971

Interesting discussion.

There was a Florida Wing Ranger School in the early 70s. It was started by one of the Senior Members in my Squadron. He was in a reserve Ranger Unit.

Said Senior Member arranged for CAP Cadets to participate in the Army Ranger School at Eglin AFB. I think it was two weeks of training. It was a special version of the Army Ranger School for Jungle Warfare. After graduation the Ranger Tab and the Black Beret was authorized for wear by the Army to the CAP Cadets and Seniors that passed the course.

It was a great program.

It was canned by the Wing Commander at the time.

I always wondered if this could be restarted. Ranger School is still there and the Army likes Civil Air Patrol, and its on Eglin AFB.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Earhart1971 on September 14, 2010, 07:40:33 PM
...snip...
After graduation the Ranger Tab and the Black Beret was authorized for wear by the Army to the CAP Cadets and Seniors that passed the course.
...snip...
Hehe...  >:D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: Earhart1971 on September 14, 2010, 07:40:33 PM
Interesting discussion.

There was a Florida Wing Ranger School in the early 70s. It was started by one of the Senior Members in my Squadron. He was in a reserve Ranger Unit.

Said Senior Member arranged for CAP Cadets to participate in the Army Ranger School at Eglin AFB. I think it was two weeks of training. It was a special version of the Army Ranger School for Jungle Warfare. After graduation the Ranger Tab and the Black Beret was authorized for wear by the Army to the CAP Cadets and Seniors that passed the course.

It was a great program.

It was canned by the Wing Commander at the time.

I always wondered if this could be restarted. Ranger School is still there and the Army likes Civil Air Patrol, and its on Eglin AFB.

Sounds like more of a potentially awesome NCSA than a Wing-level activity.

Don't expect the beret or tab to be authorized, though.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

To go further back in Florida Wing history and Ranger Schools. In the 60's when Wing Headquarters was on Orlando AFB, at Wing HQ there was an office for the Florida Ranger School. The school only accepted males. So the DCP organized "Petticoat Trail" strictly for females. The curriuculum was basically the same as the male Ranger School, allowing for differences in strengths of female cadets. In an unofficial competition between the two groups, the females outscored the males. Shortly thereafter with a change of DCPs both Schools were dropped.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CommGeek

Those guys are a joke...they run around the woods in their scarves and pistol belts.    Might as well wear blue tights and masks.  morons!   This is why we are looked at by the professional SAR and public safety folks as wannabes!

They are all arrogant, think they are above everyone else....   Can you spell PENCIL WHIP?

One good thing the FL Wing Commanded did is ban them!  Good Work Chris!

Oh look ...i see they also are very strict on the AF height weight standards.....   Kinda looks like 'Peter Griffen' from Family guy in BDU's   hahahahaha

Patterson

^ you know you can hate something without being mean and rude and coming off as a jackass.

I hate the ranger programs, but I still am friends with many of the participants. 

The guy with the orange shirt is Col herb cahalen. He brought the rnager school down to Florida wing from PAWG when he was the hawk Mtn school commander.  It was a really good program in Florida.....even better than in pa wing.

He is 6'4" and the other guy you referenced is almost as tall.  Both are well under the weight limits.

Why don't you just go away...

Майор Хаткевич

CommGeek,

You can clearly see that the members in BDUs are NOT from Florida.

Like Patterson, I don't like Hawk & Co, but I don't stoop to your level.

I also take offense to such name calling, especially considering I KNOW half the members in BDUs in that picture personally.