Mission Related Promotion for a Rotary Wing Pilot

Started by AirDX, September 13, 2010, 01:36:23 AM

JeffDG

Quote from: caphornbuckle on September 17, 2010, 06:47:34 AM
Quote from: AirAux on September 14, 2010, 09:11:37 PM
Wow, is it no wonder that we don't have Army Aviator rotor types lining up to join and assist us.  I could sure use a handful to help me with my squadron.  Their experience and motivational affect on the cadets would be worth captain alone.

Usually an Army Aviator will be an officer or Warrant Officer anyways.  Though not mandatory (but most times), they can receive a CAP grade equal to their Army Rank regardless of their pilot credentials.

If you look back at the original post, he received his flight training after leaving the service.

caphornbuckle

Actually, I was referencing the point that Army Aviators can join with advanced grade,
in general.   Not for the individual in question.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

JeffDG

^^

Rgr.  But as with Mission Skill promotions, such grades are at the discretion of the commander.

Short Field

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

JohnKachenmeister

I have two officers in my squadron who are rotary-wing CFI's.  Put your guy in for Captain.  It will slide through without problems.  The regulation does not specify fixed-wing ratings, so he is eligible.
Another former CAP officer

Flying Pig

In my Sq, a CFI doesnt become a Capt until they qualify as a CAP CFI or CAP Check Pilot.  They don't get any advanced mission related skill promotion until they pass their Form 5.  If you do your Form 5, but chose not to become a CAP CFI, you stop at 1Lt.  Those are my standards, supported by the Group Commander and Wing CC.

Not fair that my Sq Check Pilot gets Capt for being a CAP CFII/G1000 Check Pilot, but another CFI who may not even want to fly in CAP can walk in and get the same thing.

ZigZag911

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 23, 2010, 02:55:40 PM
In my Sq, a CFI doesnt become a Capt until they qualify as a CAP CFI or CAP Check Pilot.  They don't get any advanced mission related skill promotion until they pass their Form 5.  If you do your Form 5, but chose not to become a CAP CFI, you stop at 1Lt.  Those are my standards, supported by the Group Commander and Wing CC.

Not fair that my Sq Check Pilot gets Capt for being a CAP CFII/G1000 Check Pilot, but another CFI who may not even want to fly in CAP can walk in and get the same thing.

FP, I'm glad to see someone taking the requirement that advanced grade recipients actually actively contribute their mission related skill to CAP.

If more commanders at all levels held to your standards with mission related and professional appointments, there would be far less controversy about the promotions.

Flying Pig

Not completely related, but I also require that in order to fly the plane or do an initial Form 5, you must complete Level 1, all GES and FEMA requirements, enroll and be actively pursuing a specialty track of your choice and be active to the point where you are responsible for a staff or assistant staff position before a new member ever touches the plane.  Basically, your going to be in CAP about 6 months before you ever go flying.  Since we have a G1000, people seem to be coming out of nowhere.  Great, as long as they are coming for the right reasons.  The speech I give new members is that CAP doesn't just happen, and we aren't going to sit here and do all the work while the rest of you new guys come in once in a when there is flying to be had.
And no, Im not hurting for pilots or recruiting.  I have people coming out of my ears.  Which, to me, makes this standard even more important.  Again, supported by the Group CC.  I don't want my unit ending up like some who have a few hundred hours per year on their plane, but can only account for a couple of missions.

Eclipse

^ Imagine that - actual expectations of performance for new members...

MY only issue with the above is the staff position.  I personally think we don't allow our members enough time to just be "members" before giving them staff work to do, but of course the reality is that we don't have 3-deep staff directorates to provide us that luxury.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2010, 05:47:42 PM
^ Imagine that - actual expectations of performance for new members...

MY only issue with the above is the staff position.  I personally think we don't allow our members enough time to just be "members" before giving them staff work to do, but of course the reality is that we don't have 3-deep staff directorates to provide us that luxury.

No, I agree.  Thats why we made it a point to add that at assistant slot was acceptable. At least start doing SOMETHING. However, probably like many here, I have never been just a "member".  My first job day 1 as a Senior Member was as DCC at Sq45 in CAWG.  I left that and became a Deputy for Seniors and ES Officer and then SQCC at my current Sq.  I was in CAP 5 years as a Senior Member before I ever set one foot in an airplane, and I was a pilot during that time.  I was a young 22yr old CAP 1Lt and had just left the active duty Marines literally 3 months prior and was having a blast reliving my youth as the DCC and working with cadets.
But lets face it, staff work for most jobs is nothing.  Getting on line and doing some data entry for vehicle logs is fine.  Just dont make me or my Deputy have to do everything.  Heck, at least ask to do something and let me tell you "No Thanks, but I appreciate you asking."
I cant stand members who refuse to make eye contact when I stand in front of the room and ask people for help, and then I see they have the plane scheduled the next weekend for a "proficiency flight" to Monterey, but I cant get them to raise one finger at the base.

AirDX

I hate to resurrect a dead, stinky thread, but just to close the loop, turns out what happened was that page 2 of a 2 page attachment to the Form 2 got separated somewhere between here and NHQ (refer to the original post for the story).  That page was the one that showed his CFI rating.  After resubmitting the package, this valuable, contributing member of our squadron holds the rank of Captain.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

BGNightfall

I'm actually really glad to hear this.  Given that we, as an organization have precious few rewards for our hard working members, it's good to see this member getting the recognition he deserves!